[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What can /k/ tell me about bunker busters? I understand that

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

What can /k/ tell me about bunker busters?

I understand that they use KE to penetrate the earth before coming into contact with concrete bunkers or caves but I don't know the specifics of how these things work and how frequently they are used.

How reliable are these weapons?
How often are they used?
Any famous cases of use?
Are they still relevant today?

Thanks /k/
>>
Something I've been wondering in case someone knowledgeable comes by.
Could bunker busting weapons be countered if the bunker had some type of reactive armor?
>>
>>34887351
OP here, spinning yarn so take this with a grain of salt.

I understand that they penetrate the earth after gaining significant kinetic energy due to the altitude their dropped from and their weight.

I think considering the size of these bombs if you could detect it, ERA large enough would probably stop the threat by either slowing it enough to prevent penetration or causing it to detonate before it hits the ground.

Either that or a CRAM style defence could work.
>>
>>34887389
Or just a deeper bunker.
>>
>>34887334
Google Tallboy and Grand Slam for famous historical examples.
>>
>>34888448
Thanks anon
>>
"Smart bomb" bunker busters are launched in pairs, one shortly after the other. One is guided at the bunker, the other is guided at the first bomb.

One penetrates the ground, reaches near the bunker structure, explodes (normal HE charge) - exposing the bunker. The other flies through the cloud of soil before it gets to settle down, then uses shaped charge to penetrate the concrete and steel, filling the bunker with superheated plasma.

A normal bunker buster is good against armored structures but poor against thick layer of dirt. A normal HE bomb will make a big hole in dirt but won't damage armored structures thick enough. The pair of smart bombs deals with this problem.
>>
>>34888448
Being pedantic, but Tallboy and Grand slam bombs arguably weren't pure "bunker busters" and did not really have incredible performance against concrete (though they were still a great deal more effective against hardened targets than conventional bombs). They were earthquake bombs, and often they had the most impressive effects when they missed, as being design to deeply penetrate soil before exploding meant they often undermined hardened structures and made them untenable for further use, such as at the La Coupole hardened V2 facility. Better example of proper bunker busters were the American Disney bomb and the German PC series rocket bombs.
>>
File: Cloudmaker.jpg (317KB, 1280x834px) Image search: [Google]
Cloudmaker.jpg
317KB, 1280x834px
>>34888448
>>
>>34889186
That sounds logical. Is there a source where I can read more?
>>
File: munroe effect.gif (688KB, 400x251px) Image search: [Google]
munroe effect.gif
688KB, 400x251px
>>34889186
>not him but I have not herd of this, plz explain

Shaped charges take advantage of the munroe effect, a principle which uses waves to produce a positive interference effect, resulting in a more effective but directed energy distribution upon explosion
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.