[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does /k/ think of retrofitting old subs with new tech?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 7

File: MsrZXOLMqrg.jpg (216KB, 1200x742px) Image search: [Google]
MsrZXOLMqrg.jpg
216KB, 1200x742px
What does /k/ think of retrofitting old subs with new tech?

The Oscar 2 subs (949A) are getting modernized to carry Oniks missile instead of Granits, instead of 24 Granits, it will carry 72 Oniks missile instead. The Oniks were used as Land Attack Cruise Missiles in Syria, they are mainly used as anti ship missiles too. They are nuclear warhead capable. The cells are slanted therefore it will not use UKSK because it will be costly as shown in the Admiral Nakhimov refit. It's not as stealthy as newer subs but it's quiet enough to get into standoff range and fire and then leave. Pic related, an Oscar 2 getting modernized.

My gripes with it is that it should've carried superior YJ-18 cruise missiles. Why can't they just buy Chinese?
>>
>>34885691
If it keep the subs in service longer, I support it.

I'm always sad when a old ship/sub gets decommissioned and scrapped.
>>
>>34885691
The YJ-18, a superior original Chinese version of the now defunct Russian Caliber-NK missile system, can be packed by 4's. This means it could've carried 96 missiles instead with superior range and intelligence. Plus it can be launched via torpedo tubes making it 104 missiles per sub. Impressive.
>>
>>34885691
>>34886078
Can someone PLEASE bomb chinks into oblivion? Or cut them from internet at least? Please? Those untermensch, truing to sell their trash are annoying.
>>
File: 1502889080291.png (147KB, 553x585px) Image search: [Google]
1502889080291.png
147KB, 553x585px
>>34888410
I second this.
>>
>>34885691
can we take a minute to appreciate the size of that overhead crane? It's fucking massive.
>>
>>34888553
Isn't that much. You get impressed so easily. Compare it to the sub on the side and you'll notice it isn't that big. Chinese cranes are more impressive and more sophisticated.
>>
>>34888601

Those Zvezda shipyard cranes are made in China
>>
>>34888935
Its Korean crane not China.
>>
>>34888987

no

http://www.cosco-chic.com/en/news_view.asp?id=91
>>
>>34888994
Huh, I thought Russia partnered with Korea on the shipyard, or maybe its a different shipyard.
>>
>>34888601
On the other hand an Oscar is fucking massive.
>>
>>34888994
Lol Export monkey model cranes.
>>
>>34889022
Meh an Ohio is better.
>>
>>34889079
OK.
>>
>>34888553
But how big was the crane they used to assemble that crane?
>>
>>34885691
The idea has merit as we've seen with the SSGN Ohio's, but we're back to the rather simple point that it has no reason for being with Russias current naval doctrine.

Russia is NOT the Soviet Union, where the Soviets had a reason for being able to go out and lob cruise missiles at ships and land targets, Russia does not. It's no longer a rival naval power to the US and UK, it no longer needs to punch out of the North Sea or go hunting in the Pacific. In the end this reeks of some oligarch convincing his buddies in the MoD to send some cash his way much like what was attempted with the BMPT Terminators (though those were roundly laughed at by the MoD).
>>
>>34888987
>>34886078
>>34885691
>>34888410

COMMANDER YAO THE AMERICANS SEEM TO HAVE FIGURED OUT OUR RUSE

>SGT. XIAO DID YOU USE THE APPROPRIATE SLANG? DID YOU INDICATE THAT YOU WERE OLD AND HOMOSEXUAL

NO COMMANDER YAO I AM VERY SORRY AND ASHAMED

>YOUR FAMILY WILL PAY A GREAT PRICE FOR THIS SGT. XIAO

time passes....

>NOW I WILL MAKE A GREAT POST AND TRICK THESE STUPID WESTERNERS INTO BUYING CHINESE TECH
>>
>>34888987
>>34886078
>>34885691 (OP)
>>34888410
>>34889313

#GREENTEXT

HELLO BOARD, I AM AN AMERICAN WITH EXPERTISE IN MILITARY UNITS

THIS IS AN EXCELLENT IDEA. ANYONE WHO DISAGREES IS JUST TRYING TO BE ON THE EDGE. THEY ARE A KID. THEY ARE NOT OLD ENOUGH TO BE ON THIS BOARD. THEY ONLY GO ON THE INTERNET IN THE SUMMER, WHEN AMERICAN SCHOOLCHILDREN ENJOY A THREE MONTH VACATION.

DID YOU KNOW THAT MANY CHINESE INVENTIONS ARE TOP SECRET AND LIKELY FAR EXCEED OUR OWN CAPACITY? OUR CORRUPT LEADERS HIDE THIS FROM US AND LACK RESPECT FOR THEIR ANCESTRAL SPIRITS. THIS IS A GREAT EMBARASSMENT, AND THE SUBJECT OF GREAT SHAME.

WE CAN HAVE A GLORIOUS PATH TO THE CHOSEN FUTURE, HOWEVER. THE NEW VOLVO XC-90 BLENDS SWEDISH DESIGN WITH THE FINEST CHINESE ENGINEERING, WHICH MANY HAVE CALLED "BETTER THAN JAPAN!" I ENDORSE SUCH A DECISION, AND HAVE PURCHASED MANY VOLVOS MYSELF.

#END GREENTEXT
>>
>>34889333

MY OPINION IS ALSO THAT RUSSIANS WOULD BENEFIT GREATLY FROM PURCHASING MISSILE TECHNOLOGY FROM THE CHINESE. IN EXCHANGE, THEY COULD DECREASE THEIR PRESENT IN THE SHAOPING STRAIGHT, AND GRANT WATER RIGHTS IN THE URAL SEA, WHICH WOULD ONLY MARGINALLY DIMINISH THEIR INFLUENCE IN THE SOUTH CHINA SEA.

FUTURE MILITARY PARTNERSHIPS WOULD ENSURE THAT AMERICAN CLIENT STATES SUCH AS KOREA AND JAPAN ARE CONTAINED, AND ENHANCE RUSO-SINO DOMINANCE OF THE SOUTH ASIAN MARITIME ZONE.

AS AN AMERICAN I ENDORSE THIS BECAUSE IT WILL INCREASE STABILITY BY DECREASING OUR IMBALANCE OF POWER AND MAKING IT LESS LIKELY THAT WE WILL FIGHT ARROGANT WARS IN THE FUTURE.

ALSO, I WILL CEASE USING AMAZON, AND URGE YOU TO AS WELL. THERE IS ANOTHER SITE CALLED ALIBABA THAT IS FAR MORE JOYFUL TO USE, WITH RELIABLE GOODS, AND HAPPY SHIPPING. PLEASE JOIN ME IN USING THIS GREAT SERVICE.
>>
>>34889349

I AM A DIFFERENT POSTER, AND I STRONGLY AGREE. YOU HAVE MADE MANY GOOD POINTS. OTHERS WHO DISAGREE ARE LIKELY INFLUENCED BY THEIR OWN GOVERNMENTS, WHO HAVE PAID THEM SMALL AMOUNTS OF MONEY TO POST ON THE INTERNET.

OF ALL THE GOVERNMENTS WHO WOULD DO SUCH AN ACTION, THE MOST LIKELY CULPRIT IS THE AMERICAN GOVERNMENT, WHICH IS SAID TO SPY ON ITS OWN PEOPLE. WHICH INCLUDES ME. BECAUSE I AM AN AMERICAN CITIZEN.

I AM VERY UPSET AT THIS STATE OF AFFAIRS AND HOPE THAT WE LOOK ELSEWHERE TO FIND OUR MORAL ANCHOR. I HAVE HEARD THAT OTHER COUNTRIES WOULD SHARE THESE SECRETS, IF ONLY WE WOULD CONSIDER RE-RATIFYING THE SEATO TRADE AGREEMENT. THIS AGREEMENT WILL INCREASE AMERICAN TRADE AND BE IN GREAT FAVOR. WE WILL BE ABLE TO PURCHASE MORE CHINESE PRODUCTS, WHICH ENHANCE OUR LIVES. THIS IDEA IS VERY COOL AND PROGRESSIVE.
>>
>>34889184
>no reason for being with Russias current naval doctrine

This. We all know Russia's doctrine better than the Russians. Which is protect the bastions. This missile barges system like Yasens, Kilos, Gorshkovs and all the new ships that carry Kaliber missiles which is everything except Boreis is not what Russia should do. They should focus on area denial like whatever America is doing because that is the correct way to live life. All this modernization is a waste of money because it will never be used in a hot environment like Syria.
>>
>>34889456
>>
>>34889333
>>34889383
>>34889349

that was different
>>
File: soviet obama.jpg (7KB, 189x266px) Image search: [Google]
soviet obama.jpg
7KB, 189x266px
>>34889333
>>34889349
>>34889383
I will concede, one (1) chortle. Wp anon.
>>
>>34889456
>We all know Russia's doctrine better than the Russians.
>>
>>34886078
PLA-watching veteran here:

my intelligence sources indicate that the sub-launched YJ-18 is already being gradually replaced by a new line of anti-ship missiles for submarines.

Recent photos indicate that the Qing-class SSB test-sub platform now features elevated VLS-cells to test longer and larger missiles.

There is the prospect that the YJ-18 will indeed be turned into an export offering soon.
>>
File: ZPMC America.jpg (52KB, 550x402px) Image search: [Google]
ZPMC America.jpg
52KB, 550x402px
>>34888935
China exports cranes to literally everyone.

Pic: Murrica
>>
File: ZPMC UK.jpg (155KB, 950x632px) Image search: [Google]
ZPMC UK.jpg
155KB, 950x632px
>>34891546
Brits.
>>
>>34888410
You wanna use the Plural.
That'd be UntermenschEN.

Also, capitalize Nouns. Great Words for a great Language.
>>
America btfo
>>
You mean Kaliber missiles right? Oniks weren't used in Syria. Also, Oniks are massive missiles like the Granits.
>>
>>34885858

>if it keeps subs in service longer

Neck yourself.

Bastardizing a submarine to go longer in life needlessly wears and puts crew at risk.

Plus they become maintenance nightmares.
>>
>>34885691
>>34886078

SSGN with anti-ship saturational loadouts are fetish-fuel.
Literally the perfect concept to take out a carrier group. They dont need to be super quiet, nor super stealthy - they only need to be stealthy enough to evade long range detection and get into stand-off distance to the enemy, launch all their missiles and escape before the enemy can even scramble ASW helos.

The Chinese certainly love that concept so much that they are working on a submersible arsenal ship loaded with hundreds of VLS-launched AShM.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.