[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How would someone who has no experience but wants to become more

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: rossi-model-46202.jpg (48KB, 661x496px) Image search: [Google]
rossi-model-46202.jpg
48KB, 661x496px
How would someone who has no experience but wants to become more familiar and comfortable with guns go about doing that? I'd like to get a weapon for home protection and for open carry but I have no real experience with them yet, though I do feel I would be comfortable handling one. Also what would be the best "beginner" handgun I guess you could say. I'd like to spend less than a grand, and my main options where I live are pawn shops and Academy.
>>
What state do you live in OP?
>>
File: pictorial-travel-map-of-louisiana.jpg (1010KB, 1725x1153px) Image search: [Google]
pictorial-travel-map-of-louisiana.jpg
1010KB, 1725x1153px
>>34882734
Louisiana.
>>
>>34882694
Not sure if OP meant pic related but NOT with a snub nose revolver in any respectavle caliber- it will turn you off of shooting.

The reason being the lighter frame of the shorter barrel means less of the force of the shot is absorbed by the mass of the gun, that force transfers into your palm and you will feel as though you were "bit" or smacked with a yard stick right on the palm. It isnt unbearable by any means but for a new shooter it will throw off your aim and irritate you.

I suggest AR they have essentially no recoil unless youre skeleton teir skinny and are pretty fun to shoot when youre a beginner. Also theyre cheap now. Look into entry level rugers and Smith and wessons
>>
>>34882901
Do you mean like an AR rifle? I kinda wanted to stick with handguns. I don't think I'd be comfortable carrying a rifle around in public, or at least I don't want to make everyone around me uncomfortable.
>>
>>34882955
Not a Glock shill here, but a Glock 19 is a good choice. Concealable, good capacity, all around well performing. If you decide to go the revolver route, a Ruger GP-100 is also a good option if you get the 4 inch barrel. The GP-100 is a bit heavier and clunkier for concealment, but is a solid performer and can use both .357 magnum and .38 special, making it cheap to shoot (.38s) while having a good cartridge for power (.357 mag) if you can hit your intended target.

Another option that could also work well is an older Smith and Wesson Model 39 (Single stack 9mm). Get a compact one and you have a great all around handgun, but you will compromise your capacity for comfort and concealment. I strongly suggest visiting your local firing range and trying out various handguns that you'd think would suit your situation. Don't be afraid to ask them for advice that's applicable for your situation either. 9/10 though, they'll try to sell you their brand-specific firearms.

TL;DR
Go to the range and try out some handguns and choose what you like. Most likely you'd either choose a high cap 9mm (Glock, S&W MP, Springfield XD) or a revolver (Older S&W M69 or Ruger GP100).
>>
>>34882694
Take training courses offered in your area. Google can help with that. The NRA courses are damn near everywhere, but honestly I don't really like the curriculum (I'm saying this as an NRA certified instructor. )
Failing that, try to find a friend or family member who can take you shooting.
Whatever you do, make sure the first thing you learn and take to heart are the four rules of firearm safety.
>>
>>34882694

go to local gun range and take $100 intro class

get a 9m semi-auto

ruger beretta glock sig s&w etc
>>
>>34883295
To build on this, of neither of these options are possible, YouTube videos and online instructions do exist. Remember to learn the four rules first, then the seven fundamentals of marksmanship.
As far as choosing a gun goes, if there is a range nearby that offers rentals spend a day there trying as many different guns as you can. Compare and contrast them, figure out what you like about each one and what you don't. Then we can help you choose a gun based on that.
Failing that, find a store with good customer service (which can be hard to do) and ask them for advice and you get hands on some guns. If that's not a option, do what >>34883304 said and get a compact 9mm that looks good to you, preferably doing a bit of independent research on it first.
If you just want us to tell you what to do, get a glock 19. It's The closest thing to a default gun that exists, and what I personally carried.
>>
>>34883442
What if I want a 10mn because I like big round numbers
>>
>>34883490
More expensive ammunition, much rarer ammunition, good bit more recoil, and unless your making your own ammo your basically going to be getting over priced .40 S&W. 10mm is great, but it is NOT a beginner's round.
>>
>>34882955
Ahhh ok sorry about that op. In that case i would recommend something heavy in 9mm.
9mm can tend to be pretty "snappy" or biting as i said before mostly because they tend to be light composite handguns. For instance a 9mm metal frame handgun will absorb more recoil than a plastic (polymer/composite) handgun because the metal one is heavier- trade off is that well its heavy and therefore uncomfortable to carry.

Best advice anyone can give you is to go to a range or store and ask to handle them see how they feel research the ones you like cuz they could turn out to be shit as far as quality. Then see about renting one at a range to see how they handle. Glocks are fine handguns but dont be pushed into one if you dont like it. Plenty of young guys at gunstores wearing "team glock" clothing will try to push glocks on you. You either like em or you dont.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.