[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I am currently shopping for a .22LR pistol to teach my wife to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 5

File: GSG Firefly Green.jpg (78KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
GSG Firefly Green.jpg
78KB, 640x480px
I am currently shopping for a .22LR pistol to teach my wife to shoot with and to get some practice with. I just want something that is a cheap range gun; I am not looking for a match grade target shooter. The most rigorous thing it would be used for outside of the range is a backpack gun for killing snakes or other small vermin that I might encounter on a hike.
I don't want to spend any more than $350 or so and the guns I have found and liked in the area are the Walther P22 and PPQ in .22LR, the Ruger SR22, and the GSG Firefly. The Firefly is really looking good even though it is the cheapest of the bunch; I was hoping someone could provide some input on it if they are an owner of one. Pic related is identical to the one I am considering at the local gun store. I don't own a suppressor but it comes threaded for one and for $230 I think that seems like a really good deal.

TL;DR Which sub $350 .22LR pistol is the best purchase for a cheap range gun: Walther PPQ, P22, Ruger SR22, or GSG Firefly?
>>
>>34875458
Rough rider.
>>
File: 162.jpg (1022KB, 1971x1305px) Image search: [Google]
162.jpg
1022KB, 1971x1305px
The SR22 is ok, haven't used the PPQ .22, but the Walther and GSG .22s are potmetal shit. I'd look around for a Ruger Mk I/II/III/IV for a cheap-ish .22 pistol.
>>
>>34875458
the rugers the only one of your chices that isnt a pile of shit. rule of thump is if its in 22 and replicates the looks of another gun in a real caliber its garbage.
>>
>>34875477
jesus christ.

>>34875458
I remember lots of bad reviews of the firefly when they were making it as the sig mosquito. Any of the others would be good, I've also shot the M&P 22 and it is nice.

Based on your wanting something for hiking and range practice, I think you may do best with a DA revolver in 22. You might consider an LCRx 3" in 22, I've seen them a bit over $350 up to a bit over $400. If you watch gun.deals there should eventually be a sale.

A revolver negates most reliability issues with semi auto 22s being picky about ammo, they are simple to operate and the double action trigger is great practice. When you can shoot that well you'll shoot anything well.
>>
>>34875458
Some of the old Beretta .22 pistols are kind of nice if you can find them for a good price.
It depends on if you find someone who knows what they have or not (as well as condition).
The Model 77 is quite a delight, it's fairly hefty for it's size and caliber so recoil is like nothing.

Often they're found with a big and heavy fake silencer pinned onto the barrel because the ATF made a fuss when some importer recently took in some surplus ones (said it wasn't long enough, so they had to make it longer).
These can be unpinned and removed, and that's all legal, but it can be a bit bothersome, I'd ask a gunsmith to do it for me. Sometimes you find them with a spare long barrel because that was how Beretta themselves got around that issue when they were still making and exporting them to the US.
If you get the barrel fixed, they are quite pleasant to use with a real silencer, you could easily do some relaxed plinking and listen to some audiobook or something.

>>34875477
Rough Riders can be decent but their QC is so-so, inspect before buying.
>>
>>34875515
I know the GSG isn't a super high quality firearm but I was always under the assumption that Walthers were pretty well made. I'm not incredibly knowledgeable about various makes and models though so that's why I came here. What exactly do you mean by potmetal? I'll admit that I don't know a whole lot to look for in terms of quality and materials but it seemed to feel solid hence my attraction to it.

>>34875528
I love revolvers but I think I'd rather start with a semi-auto because I don't intend to own another wheelgun for a few more years (poor college student here) and want my wife to feel comfortable with semi-autos ASAP. She just barely shot for the first time less than a month ago and loves it, but some guns still scare her because of her upbringing and I want to break that. An SP101 would be a dream .22 revolver, but they are out of my price range.
>>
File: Capture.jpg (20KB, 510x230px)
Capture.jpg
20KB, 510x230px
>>34876055
Ulm walthers are fine. Cologne walthers are made by walthers parent company (I think they're an airsoft company) and do have problems.

Cologne- p22, ppq 22lr, ccp
Ulm- everything else

That said I havent had problems with my ppq 22, but I have with my ccp and there's even a recall on it.
>>
>>34875458
The Mosquito has an absolute dogshit trigger. My sister has one and on the occasions I've borrowed it to teach new shooters, I've been unable to tame the jerky trigger pull no matter how hard I try. For this reason, I'm inclined to not recommend the Firefly.

Get literally anything else.
>>
>>34876287
That is a really neat infographic, thank you for sharing it. Just a brief bit of research also lead to me seeing the same Cologne proof marks on the GSG Firefly/Mosquito.

What kind of problems would be likely from these less desirable pistols? I know feeding and ejecting is an issue but are they dangerous to fire after a few thousand rounds?
The SR22 is looking pretty decent after this input. I learned to shoot with a MKIII 22/45 so I do have a slight preference for Ruger. Is there any reason the SR22 is just okay or not "a pile of shit"? Those particular comments don't really make it seem spectacular, but not awful either. Why?
>>
File: dcp02567.jpg (26KB, 534x261px)
dcp02567.jpg
26KB, 534x261px
>>34876503
the ruger is made of real metal like aluminum instead of the zinc alloys of the mosquito or p22. now aluminum isnt the best choice for a slide but its the best out of those listed gun options. ideally you use steel but steel is heavy. look how small the mkii bolt is. anyways the slide has to be a certain total mass if its too heavy 22lr doesnt have the oomph to cycle it. with these replicas they need the whole slide so it looks like a real gun. they have to use a lightweight material thats not that durable.
even when they use lightweight crap its still too heavy so the recoil spring weight is light to compensate. this means when it gets dirty it wont cycle. the springs dont have enough force to close the slide with the increased resistance of dirt. which is why many of these guns are ammo sensitive and require cci stingers to work worth a damn.
if they made it out of anything worth using and sprung properly it couldnt be a whole slide. it would be a half slide like a berreta 87, sw41 or cz kadet.
>>
>>34876503
P22's slides tend to break sooner than later. I havent shot mine since I got the ppq 22 so I havent gotten there.

the ppq 22lr seems to bet a little more robust. The only problem I have had is the slide sticking about half way when using the slide release after a hundred rounds or so, so you have to tap it. NBD on a cheap range toy IMO.

CCP got recalled on a safety issue. A lot of people reported feeding issues, but I havent had any after breaking it in and cleaning all the oil out of it. Theres a lot of info on it over at walther forums if you're interested in learning more.

Ruger is your best bet. I'd go with the mark 4, But if you want a mark 3, look at majestic arms. They make a speed strip kit so you dont have to deal with the pre mark 4 disassembly/reassembly retardation.
>>
>>34876055

If you can't afford a Heritage Rough Rider ($122 at Bud's currently), even a Beretta Neos is going to be out of your price range, much less a Ruger Mark IV.
>>
>>34877304
I can afford a Rough Rider. It's just not my first choice. I would like to get one someday as they are super neat for their price, but I'd like something with more traditional sights and the like so that my wife can learn good habits early on. I'm not an instructor or anything, so the easier I can make it on her, the better. My price range is about $350, but I'd like to stay below that. My local gun shops offer quite a few in the $320 range and so that's what is most likely for me.
>>
>>34875458

A guy I worked with who used to shoot competitively recommended the SR22 for a beginner handgun.
>>
>>34877444

In that range, I'd say snag a Beretta Neos and use the rest of the budget for ammo.
>>
>>34877540
Why a Neos? That's one that I haven't really considered at all but I have seen them in my price range. They seem like they have some odd ergonomics but I've never heard anything bad (or good, either) about them. This is going to be my first handgun purchase so I'd like to end up happy with something that I will be able to keep for a long time and teach kids with.
>>
>>34877585

If you want it to be a pistol to teach your future kids with, that changes things. The Neos' grip isn't for everybody, and I'd rather you not learn that the hard way with your kids.

In your case, it's probably best to find a used or new Ruger Mark III. The grip is good and it's pretty reliable, ensuring you can keep it over the years and train your children on it. You'll run into issues breaking it down, but it's not a dealbreaker, and you can always sell it for a Mark IV once you get more cash later. I saw some new Mark IIIs at a Gander Mountain that was closing that were around the upper limits of your budget.
>>
>>34877843
Fucking thanks. All of y'all have provided some helpful knowledge and have been legends. Sometimes its hard to browse /k/ because of all the kiddies and the like but I am very pleased with the advice offered today.
>>
>>34877891

It's no problem senpai. Night /k/ is usually a lot more informative than daytime /k/ because both the nogunz teenagers and Europeans are asleep, letting the actual gun owners chat.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.