[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

This is probably a stupid idea but hear me out anyway. The

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 5

File: GauBoat.png (882KB, 1629x728px) Image search: [Google]
GauBoat.png
882KB, 1629x728px
This is probably a stupid idea but hear me out anyway.

The A-10 is living on borrowed time and will probably get taken out of service within the decade.
What if someone were to take the GAU-8 and cram it into a Combat Boat 90-H instead of the troop compartment? Since the CB90 can pretty much turn on a dime and has really strong engines it would be a fast attack boat capable of punching big holes in any non-heavily armored sea target or shore installation then bugging out just a s quickly.

Would this even work or has the GAU.8 lived out it's usefulness completely?
>>
>>34868407
preposterous
you should build a whole new boat around the gun instead of using one who is clearly not adequate.
pleb
>>
>>34868413
It's cheaper to adapt an existing frame than designing and building a new one.
>>
>>34868407
Better off just using a torpedo or an ASM, you're unlikely to get close enough to use a gun.
>>
>>34868435
Question is, is it cheaper to use a Torp/ASM than the GAU-8? I know the Torp/ASM wins on range but i'm thinking costs vs gains here. This might actually be a good idea for smaller countries that cant afford big ASM deals
>>
File: landscape-1443635997-tankboat.jpg (83KB, 980x490px) Image search: [Google]
landscape-1443635997-tankboat.jpg
83KB, 980x490px
>>34868407
literally step up your game
>30mm
>>
File: 1498638870386.gif (894KB, 300x167px) Image search: [Google]
1498638870386.gif
894KB, 300x167px
That would cause me to do this
>>
BRRRRRRTBoat? I'd be down for that. I can see it being used as a pirate hunter for african nations.
>>
>>34868430
lurk more
>>
>>34868407
A gun fixed into the bow is an utterly idiotic idea.
>>
>small wave
>takes out a Luau a mile away
>>
>>34868461

It would be cool, but

>$85k for 12 seconds of fire
>vs. (1) hellfire ~ $70k

The hellfire would probably be more effective. Also something like a 25mm autocannon is in use for a reason.
>>
>>34868515
I like it but
>rotating radar mast
????
>>
>>34869889

What is the problem with that?
>>
File: Watercat M12 finish.jpg (143KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
Watercat M12 finish.jpg
143KB, 800x533px
>>34868407
120mm mortar is more accurate, have more explosive, lighter and less retard in anyway
>>
File: file.png (462KB, 453x604px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
462KB, 453x604px
>>34868515
the Indonesian called this "Boat tank"

i laugh my ass off at Indonesia lastest lastest attempt to created a composite multihull naval ship
>>
>>34869897
Because if you rotate the radar transmitter/receiver, it will give a false reading on the screen since it has a "front" and a "back" so to speak. You would have to compensate by taking the feed from the radar and counter-rotating it by the same amount that the turret is rotated.

We've recently refitted our sailboat and have a rotating mast with a mast-mounted radar, and spent a lot of time looking for a reliable solution to this.

I'm guessing the military has good, robust solutions and cost may not be an issue but it's still a unnecessary weak link which tells me that the person who animated that catamaran doesn't really know what he/she is doing.
>>
>>34869921
When the A-10's gun is involved, retardation isn't a bug, it's a feature.
>>
>>34868407
Just do what the british did with the 30mm and turn it into an CIWS
>>
>>34868430
No, it isn't, certainly not for this gun.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.