[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

P320 actual upgrade discussion thread I'll start. They're

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 5

File: Upgrade.jpg (173KB, 607x700px) Image search: [Google]
Upgrade.jpg
173KB, 607x700px
P320 actual upgrade discussion thread

I'll start. They're saying return all slides including Cal Xchange kits for machine work (installation of disconnect). Does this mean once they start rolling new cal xchange kits off the line, they won't work on my gun if I CBF sending it in for "upgrage"?
>>
>>34864931
*upgrade
>>
File: calx.jpg (22KB, 968x192px) Image search: [Google]
calx.jpg
22KB, 968x192px
>>34864931
from the sig website. New striker, too
>>
>>34864931

so what actually ended up being wrong and how expensive is this going to be in sig to recut a mess of slides?
>>
>>34865079
hoping someone with some detailed (i.e. not speculative) knowledge of how it works can shed some light. Many, many uninformed commentators at the moment...
>>
>>34865134
About 6 dollars total.
>>
>OK, I attended the P320 Armorers Course at SIG SAUER Academy today.

>The voluntary upgrade for the P320 is as follows. A new, lighter trigger will be installed with a higher balance point that is near the pivot point. That way the inertia created by these staged falls will not cause the trigger to actuate the striker safety lock, therefore actuating the striker.

>A deconnector will also be installed in the the FCS (Fire Control System) and do some minor CNC machine work will need to be done as well. This means that all pistols will need to be sent in to the factory, Certified Armorers will not be able perform this these upgrades.

>For Law Enforcement agencies and other government contracts, they (Sig Sauer) are looking at several options; one is to exchange the complete serialized FCS one-for-one and the other is working with a local machine shop that has a CNC machine get the work done locally.
>>
>>34865599
So this confirms that it wasn't just the trigger moving that was causing the problem.
>>
>>34865639
how so? that's a detailed description of the fix, not the failure.
>>
>>34865682
>A deconnector will also be installed in the the FCS (Fire Control System) and do some minor CNC machine work will need to be done as well. This means that all pistols will need to be sent in to the factory, Certified Armorers will not be able perform this these upgrades.

They would not be doing that for no reason.
>>
>>34865705
Sounds like an added safety to me. What's the problem and how does that preclude the trigger weight issue?
>>
>>34865733
No business would be machining new "deconnectors" into the FCS unless it were necessary for the safe functioning of the firearm. It's all lost time and revenue for them. The fact that his has to be sent in for machining, and not just a trigger replacement, is an obvious indication of malfeasance.
>>
>>34865599
this post is shit. read the fucking sig website, god damn.

The M17 isn't part of this because it already has the feature set the civvie pre-contract P320s are getting.
>>
>>34864931
prep your hole for a shitty trigger pull
>>
>>34865919
Where in the post does it mention the M17, dickbrain?

There's plenty of government users of the plain P320.
>>
Is it me or does this have disaster written all over it?

Don't get me wrong, all (most) of the large manufacturers are capable of precision tolerances and clearances with regards to the manufacturing process.

On a much smaller small scale after the fact, their gunsmiths and armorers are capable of batch to batch and single item reworking etc.

Smaller machine shops like ATEi or some of the more machine-oriented gun smiths are also capable of precision on an item to item basis.

But mass production of a new trigger housing combined with mass recall (voluntary upgrade) of already finished parts going back to a manufacturer probably not setup for large scale machine work on a post production level just doesn't strike me as a recipe for success.

Or am I mistaken? Curious to hear what others think.
>>
>>34866057
many guns have had recalls in the past and been fine.
>>
Anyone know if the upgrade is worth getting on manual safety models? Will I still shoot myself in the face if I drop my gun?
>>
>>34865599
Only thing about this that doesn't sound right is that >>34865001 states there is machine work on the slide, too.

Will new slides work on unmodded guns?
>>
>>34864931
>>34865599
>lighter trigger
Wouldn't it still go off if it's just hit by a stronger force? Glocks can be dropped from airplanes. Can the "voluntarily improved" P320?

>CNC machining tens of thousands of customers' FCSes
What the fuck. Just replace them and scrap the old ones.
>>
File: 1502260586663.jpg (2MB, 3725x3024px) Image search: [Google]
1502260586663.jpg
2MB, 3725x3024px
>>34864931
POO POO POO IN THE LOO LOO LOO

Sanjeet, u mak does trigger doisconects fo mista (((choen))) yet.

No ranjeet i was on poo break
>>
>>34867202
>What the fuck. Just replace them and scrap the old ones.

In many countries (and I would presume police departments), you can't just swap a serialized part. It means serious paperwork.

To circumvent this issue, it may be simpler to just do the work on the existing slide.
>>
>>34867337
fuck me dead... I'm an owner of a P320 (and glock and colt 1911 and makarov etc.) - never again Sig, lol
>>
>>34864931
Is this going to fuck my trigger pull up and make it shit? I really like the trigger pull and don't want to make it anything less than what it already is.
>>
>>34865852
Or maybe they learned a teeny tiny lesson and will err on the sidebof safety and caution ensuring dropfiring is impossible through redundant safety systems
>>
>>34867337
Its just a parts kit, how bad could they possibly fuck it up? Just dont stick the peices in you mouth or youll get dysentery
>>
>>34864931
I'm waiting to see how this all goes. I have 1 320 that I bought after watching the Dugan video and shortly after bought a second for carry. This is unfortunate and I won't be buying any new sig firearms after this.

And before you go
>should have bought a glock
I own 2 and love them too.
>>
File: download.jpg (12KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
12KB, 259x194px
>>34867845
read about the insas rifle

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2010/08/10/the-insas-5-56mm-rifle/

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2015/05/04/india-replaces-all-insas-rifles-in-red-zones-with-aks-cites-insas-as-defective/

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2012/01/25/indian-army-wants-to-ditch-the-insas/

do you really want these people making your firearm parts?

and yes there is a turd by the rifle in pic
>>
>>34865639
So did making it discharge by hitting it with a hammer instead of dropping it.
>>
>>34867811
adding the disconnector might affect the feel of the trigger pull
>>
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2017/08/14/glock-beats-sig-p320-pistol-11-fires-dropped-comprehensive-omaha-outdoors-test/

In case there are any drop test apologists still around.

Sig is less drop resistant than even a 1911.
>>
>>34866777
The armorer mentions minor CNC machine work but not what pieces the work will be done on. He mentions all pistols will need to be sent, not just the FCS, so I think it's implying that whole pistols will have work done.
>>
>>34865599
>That way the inertia created by these staged falls will not cause the trigger to actuate the striker safety lock
>staged falls

Sig still on damage control I see
>>
>>34870133
Yeah. That's what the form says. I picked up my P320 a week before this garbage and now I have to send it in when Sig sends me the shipping label. By the way, to get the shipping label, it may take "many weeks".
>>
>>34870265
>recall on one of the biggest selling pistols in 2016/17
>expects it to be a quick process
you should be happy they're fixing it at all
>>
>>34866265
Typically this revolves replacement parts in existing slides/frames or other major components.

Not modifying existing major components after production for new parts.
>>
After the upgrade I better be able to throw the p320 out of a hovering helicopter and NOT have the gun go off.
>>
>>34866676
pls respond
>>
>>34866676

I would sign up for the upgrade and do it anyway. It'll take a while before you're given a shipping label and instructions to send it to sig.

Does the safety keep the trigger bar from moving rearward when active? The current theory is that the mass of the trigger is heavy enough to cause the trigger and trigger bar to move rearward slightly enough to depress the lever in the slide to disable the firing pin block on a fall. At this point the gun can discharge because the impact jostles the striker loose. If the safety disables the trigger then I'd probably continue to carry or use the gun until sending it back to sig.
>>
>>34865134
Once the machining program is developed sig has about 60 machines for slide milling that can run 12-24 slides per cycle, so it will be very fast.
>>
>>34866057
Sig has one of the largest machine shops in the industry, running 24/7, and have some incredibly high end measuring equipment available to every machine operator due to their massive machining budget, I'm willing to bet this will be resolved faster than anyone thinks
>>
>>34864931
Since Sig didn't issue a real recall, what is this "voluntary upgrade" thing and how do I take advantage of it to unfuck my P320?
>>
>>34870265
>exetershit

Hope you learned your lesson
>>
>>34864931
>P320 actual upgrade
>return parts for machine work

How about you just get a new gun that isn't fucked up? One that doesn't require you send it back to the manufacturer for "upgrades".
>>
>>34873242
cheaper to just get a free trigger in the mail
>>
The "new disconnector" bothers me. It's tempting to think the p320 not have a disconnector as a discrete part (or even pseudo-rigid link). I'll admit that it's more likely that they just had to redesign the disconnector to remove this one vulnerability.

I mean, you need some kind of disconnector to have a semi-automatic firearm.
>>
>>34872949
There's a small amount of play, but the safety does immobilize the trigger bar.
>>
File: 1501817066382.jpg (47KB, 440x379px) Image search: [Google]
1501817066382.jpg
47KB, 440x379px
>send gun in for (((voluntary upgrades)))
>gun gone for months possibly
>trigger pull may go to shit
>undergoes unspecified (((machining)))

>but at least I can safely drop my gun

Am I retarded, or does this not seem worth it in the slightest?
>>
>>34874063
Nah not retarded. If you're a sig p320 owner id say just wait and see what people are saying before deciding to go for it.. Might turn out fine and dandy or a total clusterfuck.
>>
1911 guys are also fine about their "technically not drop safe" pistols, although the 1911 fails due to firing pin inertia and not due to components of the firing mechanism bouncing loose.
>>
>>34874254
It sounds like they're turning P320s into M17s. This upgrade is the same thing the mil version already has. It shouldn't be a problem. The only reason they have to reprogram the CNC is because they're not starting with an uncut billet.
>>
>>34874992
The difference is that in order to get a 1911 to discharge like that it must hit the ground muzzle first, which is much "safer" than pointing to your face.
>>
>>34873577
It's probably an additional one.
>>
>>34870133
>but not what pieces the work will be done on
I guess the word disconnector escapes you. the milling will be made to the slide. they will cut a slot to accept the new disconnector. It shaped like a sock puppet. Did you even read any of the articles posted?
>>
>>34878677
There is no difference, you have two options.

1. Your gun DOES go off when dropped in ANY way.
2. Your gun DOES NOT go off when dropped in ANY way.

Stop acting like a delusional fanboy.
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.