[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm 23 and considering joining the US Coast Guard.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3

File: 1502615565485.jpg (47KB, 466x486px) Image search: [Google]
1502615565485.jpg
47KB, 466x486px
I'm 23 and considering joining the US Coast Guard. Any recommendations?
>>
File: image.gif (1MB, 400x225px) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
1MB, 400x225px
>>34862017
Do it. Unironically probably the best branch to join.
>>
>>34862034
Why do you say that? I'd legitimately like to know
>>
>>34862017
Do it. I am too.
>>
>>34862083
What do you usually do?
>>
>>34862055
Not him, but I've had friends who say that you cant find anybody who dint enjoy their time in.
Since it is the smallest branch you are given a lot of responsibility and many options to move up the ladder. It's more mobile than the marines, at least.
The officer-enlisted relationships are, in general, much more relaxed than in the other branches due to the cg's small size.
Also everybody is doing shit every day, whereas in other branches they have maybe 10% of their total force being actually deployed and doing meaningful missions.
The cg does meaningful missions all the time.
>>
>>34862088
I usually peruse /k/ and fuck around.
I'm not in the Coast Guard, am going to join, have an appt with recruiter coming up.
>>
>>34862017
Don't
>>
>>34862055
Because it's one of the few branches that actually kind of does something of value to the American people.

It's not the same kind of MilIndustrial Complex racket like the Army or Marines is.
You'll be guarding the coastlines (hence the name) as well as saving drunk amateur sailors from their own retarded doom.
>>
check /meg/ faglord
>>
>>34862017
>I'm 23 and considering joining the US Coast Guard. Any recommendations?
Get a real job
>>
Gonna look into how foreigners can join. I'm 28,irish and never really found what I want, though I've been working for over a decade
>>
>>34863413
You're already too old for most if not all branches famalam.
>>
>>34863138
>real job

Senator Glenn: “Howard, I can’t believe you said I have never held a job.
"I served twenty-three years in the United States Marine Corps. I served through
two wars. I flew 149 missions. My plane was hit by anti-aircraft fire on twelve different
occasions. I was in the space program. It wasn't my checkbook; it was my life on the
line. It was not a nine-to-five job where I took time off to take the daily cash receipts to
the bank.
“I ask you to go with me, as I went the other day, to a Veterans Hospital and look
those men, with their mangled bodies, in the eye and tell them they didn't hold a job.
You go with me to any gold-star mother and you look her in the eye and tell her that her
son did not hold a job.
“You go with me to the space program, and go as I have gone to the widows and
orphans of Ed White and Gus Grissom and Roger Chaffee, and you look those kids in the
eye and tell them that their Dad didn't hold a job.
“You go with me on Memorial Day coming up and you stand in Arlington
National Cemetery, where I have more friends than I'd like to remember, and you watch
those waving flags. You stand there, and you think about this nation, and you tell me that
those people didn't have a job.
“I'll tell you, Howard Metzenbaum, you should be on your knees every day of
your life thanking God that there were some men – some men - who held a job. And they
required a dedication to purpose and a love of country and a dedication to duty that was
more important than life itself. And their self-sacrifice is what made this country
possible.
“I have held a job, Howard!”
>>
>>34863413
>>34863478

But he can still go into any branches reserves
>>
>>34863516
>Metzenbaum
>>
>>34862017
Learn to swim
>>
>>34863516
>ImFuckingPlying more than even a single digit percentage of people in the military joined for patriotic reasons

Literally everyone I've talked to, and I work at a fucking VA, joined up for:
> being too much of a windowlicker to go to college
> being too poor to PAY for college
> seemed like fun
> money in general
> got fucking drafted
> being a shithead who needed discipline

Not one time, not one fucking time have I heard "Well jeepers, I just love my country and want to serve it the best way I can! Momma will be so proud, and Pa's smiling down on me from heaven!"

.mil is just a fucking job.
>>
File: Vietnam era Soldier vs Cajuns.webm (3MB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
Vietnam era Soldier vs Cajuns.webm
3MB, 800x450px
>>34862017
What State?
If it's Louisiana beware of getting lost on patrol and pissing off Cajuns.
>>
Hello. Did 4 years USAF, then 4 years active USCG, now in the USCG Reserves while I'm in college.

I was Security Forces, then Maritime Enforcement, now Intelligence.

Do it. USCG doesn't feel like the military for the biggest reason that you're not treated like shit. You're given the tools and the training to do you job. You're respected by NCOs and officers (except USCG Academy grads but all service academy grads are snobby fags). Morale is great. USCG was somehow spared by Obama's social engineering. You will have the chance to deploy and do cool shit, I spent 6 months off Somalia doing anti-piracy ops with the Navy, and got to do joint drug interdiction missions with the Royal Navy in the Caribbean.

Added benefit of being a largely domestic branch is you work with state and federal agencies, and depending on the job private businesses, a lot. I'm a year from graduating with a Poly Sci degree and with my Intel work and clearance I've been offered a great paying job with a foreign policy analysis group. A friend of mine from active duty took his MST (Marine science technician) certs to get a good consulting gig with a fisheries corporation. If you can get posted to California or Florida go, that seems to be where the action.

Chicks are hot. Only like 3 bases have actual base housing, so you're not stuck in shit barracks or dorms as enlisted (like I was in the Air Force).

I've never once had to sit through a 2 hour safety brief being Airman Jamal likes to get drunk and beat hookers. I've never had to sit on my ass for 4 hours because 1SGT has a stick up his ass and doesn't want to release for the day.

Plus, USCG has the hottest chicks of any branch. I thought it was USAF before I switched but holy fuck no we've got some hot as fuck SKs and HSTs.

Seriously, do it. I have never once met one Coastie who hated their job. Whereas almost every single Airman and soldier I know has either got out a bitter man who stayed in to become that apathetic NCO everyone hates.
>>
>>34862140

fuck off kaleshnia
>>
>>34866880
>security forces tryhard to me tryhard

oh am I laffin

endless recreational boardings very operator
>>
>>34862017
If you want a civilian life afterwards, completely useless aside from the benefits.

If you want to be a military boy forever and just climb rungs, it's your best bet.

>inb4 what's best branch for civ life later?

Army with an MOS that can completely remove the need for college; you'll serve, leave and get a job, then coast.

Examples being anything to do with high levels mechanics, anything netting you a degree while serving, or something LEOs value like Special Ops, MP, or K9.
>>
>>34862055
Its also easy to rank up in there. You can leave your A school as a third class petty officer if you play your cards right.
>>
>>34863531
Don't think that's good enough for a foreigner to get citizenship tho.

>>34863478
Thanks. Might get in as an officer cos I've degrees and seagoing experience, who knows. There's always Canada too (Ireland's Coast guard is a volunteer force so I'd still need a job...)
>>
>>34862116
also you never hear of CG guys acting like asshats and doing stupid shit, every other branch it seems no less than 15% is causing problems at any given time
>>
>>34866664
What? That's exactly his point. It IS a job.
>>
>>34869759
I was disagreeing with the final sentences, wherein the senator acts like every dead soldier died because he loved america. Politicians will gladly use the corpse of a soldier as a bargaining chip, then cut VA funding or some shit the next.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.