[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>https://www.yahoo.com/news/drone-e nthusiast-avoids-dete

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

>https://www.yahoo.com/news/drone-enthusiast-avoids-detection-lands-081557747.html

>this week the Royal Navy was left blushing after it emerged that an amateur enthusiast managed to land a £300 drone on the deck of HMS Queen Elizabeth - without anyone raising the alarm.

so... the fuck RN? I get that it's hard to see small drones from a distance, but do you guys not have ANYTHING keeping an eye on the sky near your bases? or are your sailors just wildly incompetent?
>>
You try having a ramp that massive on your ship and see how good your visibility is.
>>
it wasnt at a base - it was moored at a civilian deepwater port (Invergordon)
>>
its almost like you WANT to get u.s.s. cole'd
>>
>>34853882
so you don't put forth any effort to maintain security for you ONLY carrier while it's in a civilian port?

So the RN is incompetent, got it.
>>
>>34853834

It wasn't on a base. It was at Invergordon.

It was spotted, but regarded as no real threat or worth even bothering with. The guy even turned it in himself afterwards and they pretty much just shrugged.

Invergordon is about as out of the way and boring as it gets. No issues up there.

tl;dr - It's fucking nothing. Just tabloid headlines.
>>
>>34853924
>It was spotted, but regarded as no real threat or worth even bothering with.

literally none of the articles i'm seeing on it says that anyone spotted it or reported it.

>Invergordon is about as out of the way and boring as it gets. No issues up there.

I'm guessing you've never read anything about the USS Cole have you?
>>
also, the drone was spotted.

the drone was launched from the opposite side of the Cromarty Firth, where there's a spit of land that's almost directly opposite Invergordon harbour.

It flew across the firth (about 400m) which was being patrolled by several civilian police boats. who saw it. And waved to the pilot/camera.

the problem was that there's no law against him flying over to take pictures, so they didnt stop him. the only law he actually broke is that you're not allowed to within 50m of another vessel. so up until he got close up, there's nothing that was illegal that they should've stopped him for...
>>
>>34853979
>also, the drone was spotted.

you got something to back that up? or are you just talking out of your ass?

>there's nothing that was illegal that they should've stopped him for...

he literally landed on the damn carrier. and no one did a fucking thing.
>>
Strictly speaking, Queen Elizabeth is a civilian ship at the moment, as it is still the property of the builders, the Aircraft Carrier Alliance.
The armament, will only be fitted once she is accepted by the Ministry of Defence and fully commissioned into the Royal Navy. As such, the aircraft carrier currently flies the Blue Ensign, as worn by non-commissioned ships on government business.

In other words, at the moment, the QE is officially not a military vessel. (yet)
>>
>>34854006
>you got something to back that up? or are you just talking out of your ass?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/08/12/drone-enthusiast-avoids-detection-lands-vehicle-3bn-hms-elizabeth/

>“I was amazed that I was able to land on the aircraft carrier for two reasons, the first being that there was no one about to prevent it from landing although were security police around in small boats who were waving at the drone,” he said.
>“The second reason was more technical. I received a high wind warning as I was videoing up and down the flight deck and my control system advised me to land.”

security police in small boats, who were waving at the drone.

the same statement was printed in my local newspaper last week. Yes, I live in the highlands.

as said, the law is that drones cant approach within 50m. With the police boats on the Firth itself, they probably weren't able to see it after it had flown past, to tell that it was within that 50m restricted area.

What is clearly a failure is that the spotting of a drone by those police wasnt conveyed to anyone on the QE - but from all the stories, it would appear the ship was deserted at the time of the landing, so as a civilian vessel at the moment, it may well not have been manned, while it was moored at a dockside. That, I dont doubt will have to wait for any inquiry into if there was a failure of security, or simply because in such a situation - civilian, non-commissioned ship, berthed at a civilian dock, there would be no security detail onboard.
>>
>>34853963

>I'm guessing you've never read anything about the USS Cole have you?

Talk about escalation of concept from your end.

>See a small drone
>Clearly nothing attached to it when observed
>It's a regular in the area anyway, police all know about it and the guy who owns it
>Not headed on a direct course for anything or anyone
>Nothing OPSEC on deck yet
>In an area quite well known for harmless drone enthusiasts fucking miles from any trouble spots
>Gets visibly in trouble with wind above deck
>Lands briefly to avoid crashing
>Departs immediately afterwards

Oh sure lets call in the fucking Typhoons mate. It was clearly no threat and there was nothing in the area causing any harm.

The only people freaking out are the ones looking to get clickbait. It's a literally nothing story.
>>
>>34854006
>he literally landed on the damn carrier. and no one did a fucking thing.

And up until that point, he'd done nothing illegal.

It was 100% legal for the pilot to take off from the other side of the firth, fly the 400m over water toward the carrier, be waved at by the police boats as he went, then fly up and down alongside it.

that's legal. We have the freedom to do that here.

he then broke the law by flying over the deck, the drone had a wind speed warning, and auto-landed on the deck. He took off again, and flew back.

Yes. at that point, the police should have acted - if they saw it. but they were in boats, 200m away in the middle of the Cromarty Firth. Probably getting buffeted by the wind and wanting to throw up, knowing that godforsaken bit of water. we do not know how long the drone was over the ship, but from footage I've seen, about 50-60 seconds, while the police boats are a distance away - the police are not psychic, and they evidently did not see that it had broken the law.

Likewise, no-one on board spotted it. As the ship has not been commissioned yet, and is a civilian vessel,neither you or I know what security measures were implemented, or failed to be implemented..
>>
>>34853834
>the year is 2041
>the QE finally receives its first F-35s
>good timing, war just broke out in kebabistan, sunni djihadiddles versus shia laboeuf clones
>every contry joins in
>the QE sneakily joins the task force, only finding the russian carrier he must operate with following the smoke. Ramp task force is then assembled.
>suddenly an enormous electric motor noise
>vvvvvvvrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrmmmmm
>hordes of shia laboeuf clones dangling from 300 yuan drones are assaulting the QE at sea, like postmodern pirates from some cyberpunk fanfiction
>"goodness gracious, that's preposterous" says the admiral
>they're yelling
>HE WILL NOT EVADE US
>HE WILL NOT EVADE US
>just as they say they begin crashing down the bridge detonating their suicide vests amongst the parked F-35s
>"by Jove, this is an outrage !" protests the admiral
>the lasers and autocannons finally get in action (it was tea time) and begin splashing shia laboeuf clones out of the sky
>some shias taunt the brits, yelling "DO IT ! JUST DO IT !"
>at the end of the day the QE has lost most of its F-35s and has sustained medium damage.
>new F-35 are ordered at the discount price of only 350m$ in gold each.
>British intelligence decide on installing an enormous net above an around the carrier to counter any other attack.
>good news, the deck is now cleared to play cricket onboard without fear of losing the ball
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.