[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So /k/ we all shoot guns, but who here has treated a gunshot

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 6

File: gunshot-to-leg.jpg (34KB, 724x220px) Image search: [Google]
gunshot-to-leg.jpg
34KB, 724x220px
So /k/ we all shoot guns, but who here has treated a gunshot wound? What challenges did you face? Would you know what to do if you or someone else got shot or stabbed?
>>
>>34846437
Basic trauma treatment, call ALS, keep patient awake (if possible), reevaluate every 5 minutes
>>
File: 5165416516541654131.jpg (59KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
5165416516541654131.jpg
59KB, 640x480px
>>34846437
I slashed my leg with a kitchen knife while i was playing ninja against watermelons. 2001 was a hell of a time.
>slash leg
>Remember what soldiers did in "We were soldiers"
>yell for medic(my siblings)
>know to stop bleeding first so do so
>with POM fuckin' paper towels and boxing tape
>great success
>go to sleep with my family(we all slept on one bed cuz lel poor feg)
>Jeans on
they never knew till 13 years later when i was 22 when i mentioned it.
>>
Patients don't like it when you start stuffing their holes full of gauze.
>>
>>34846437
As a civilian or military during an engagement? Where did it hit? What level of care is near you and at what level?
There's factors that go into it.
>>
>>34848741
this made me laugh.
>>
Never treated a gunshot wound but I stuffed a shitload of gauze in a ANA commandos face after an RPG went off near his vehicle and removed his face. I hated ANA monkeys but I really felt bad for that poor bastard, he didn't deserve that shit. I just jammed handfull after handfull of gauze into the hole where his face used to be until our corpsman got to him.

Also had a construction contractor take a big ass piece of shrapnel about the size of o soup can lid to his helmet. The helmet barely caught it, and he had a big indent in his forehead, it looked like someone punched him in the head, and the shape stuck in his head like a crater. He was bleeding from the ears, eyes, nose, and mouth. He was making this awful groaning sound and coughing up stomach/lung juice. Never knew what became of him but rumors were he would never be able to speak again
>>
File: harm your medic.jpg (72KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
harm your medic.jpg
72KB, 500x500px
>>34846437
>4 years as a medic in the army
>never heard a shot fired in anger
>never had a true patient
>never had got to test myself
>never did my job
>>
>>34848569
this except it was a multitool blade and a self harm episode

some guy bandaged me up with a first aid kit from a local nightclub -- the very same i had just been kicked out of

it was aight
>>
>>34846437
just rub some dirt on it
>>
File: Chicago Cutlery.jpg (10KB, 450x450px) Image search: [Google]
Chicago Cutlery.jpg
10KB, 450x450px
>>34848569
Glad I'm not the only idiot who liked playing with knives.
>Be my younger brother and I
>Use kitchen knives to knife fight with
>We each go for the carving knife
>I grab it first, brother grabs it an instant later
>The mad man actually pulls it out of my fist
>The blade rides along my pointer finger
>Cuts me nearly to the bone
>Blood sprays onto the ceiling as I jerk my hand back
>Tell him to get something to wrap my finger in
>End up wrapping it in our older bro's shirts
>Just then Mom get's home
>Go to hospital
>Get stitches
>Get a stern talking to from Mom, Dad laughs at us and asks us what we learned
I feel like this event was karma for the time I caused my younger brother to split his leg open on a radiator.
>>
>>34848835
what period were you enlisted? what do you do now as a civvie? EMT? Fireman?
>>
>>34848812

>stomach and lung juice
That was probably brain juice.
>>
File: 1496691553139.jpg (19KB, 480x347px) Image search: [Google]
1496691553139.jpg
19KB, 480x347px
>>34848569
>>34849094

>be 12 year old in the country
>grandparents buy me a new knife and and a a bb gun
>bb gun is locked in a hard case with zip ties on the handle
>ezpz.gif
>put hand on the side of the case and push the knife under the zip tie and pull up
>it cuts through and I nick myself on the right side of my left wrist
>it immediately squirts blood across the table and case
>go pale because I'm a pussy and can't see my own blood
>get sick
>grandmother comes in and drags me to the bathroom and wraps my arm in thick gauze and a sticky cloth shit
>says hold it
>can barely see because everythings so blurry
>look at it and it's already bleeding through down my arm
>pass out on the toilet and puke
>puking wakes me up
>eventually after wrapping it 4 more times makes it slow down
>finally sit down in the living room and try to move my hand
>can't feel the top of my thumb
>can barely move it
>wrap it once a day until it heals
>parents still laugh and say I over reacted
>still can't feel the top of my thumb
>im 19
>>
>>34846818
EMT?
>>
>>34848569
>go to sleep with my family(we all slept on one bed cuz lel poor feg

What the fuck? Not even poor people do this.
>>
>>34846437
>be dad
> shoot burglar
> 12gauge with buckshot
Dads a retired cop,he tried to treat the guy but he by the time he got his kids (us) out the backdoor the dude was dead.
I remember my ears ringing and thinking the house blew up. I wish i couldve seen the wounds from it 00buck.
>>
>>34849528
Confirmed. What poor person has a bed that big? You sleep on the floor with blankets and coats.
>>
Usually not much to it. Your basic moves are the things that save the most lives. Stop the bleeding, seal chest wounds, keep the airway open. Don't hesitate to use tourniquets and place them high and tight.

Toughest ones I've dealt with are to the abdomen. Tough to do anything for the bleeding sometimes. Learn about external aortic compression. Shots to the neck are sometimes tricky as well.
>>
>>34849500
Yeah.
>>
>>34848741
That and the limb they just go shot in is surprisingly strong when trying to get you off of it
>>
>be me last year
>in a foreing third world country
>a bit drunk, late night, went for more beer
>fucked up neighborhood, full of skechy afrikanos and ukrainians
>a guy shows up, pulls a knife on me, wants my phone and wallet
>dont have them
>nigger gets angry and attacks
>thank god I have my leather jacket and a hoodie beneath because nights get fucking cold
>only get few smaller cuts, one big stab wound on my chest
>somehow manage to get the fucker down
>hit him in the balls, then run like a motherfucker
>gets home, wisky on the wounds, shaking
>roomate comes home, takes me to a hospital
Moved out after that, also few days later they found that fucker's body diched somewhere
Man, fuck shithole countries
>>
>>34849740
Ukranians and Niggers? Wtf kind of mix is that?
>>
>>34849298
got out last year. don't want to remain medical so i'm going to school now using the gi bill. kinda in between going into gunsmithing or becoming a leo. might just do both and be a local pd armorer.
>>
File: 1501802408475.jpg (556KB, 2560x1707px) Image search: [Google]
1501802408475.jpg
556KB, 2560x1707px
>>34850542
new jersey?
>>
Am paramedic in NYC.

Treated 4 GSW patients and over a dozen serious stab wounds over the last 2-3 years.

All small caliber handgun rounds most likely.

All GSW patients survived, but not all stab patients did.

Controlling bleeding is almost impossible with a serious stab to the chest.

Shootings tend not to to bleed that much at first until you start moving the patient.

3 sided occuslsive dressings are shit and dont work. Just seal up sucking chest wounds the best you can.

Studies are showing that IV fluids ( except for whole blood transfusions ) just make bleeding worse by diluting clotting factors i.e. Kool Aid blood.

Best treatment: Control bleeding ( lol ) and apply diesel therapy. ( Get to a hospital with a trauma team... )

Would much rather get shot than stabbed as long as its not in the head.

Pro tip: Dont get shot...
>>
>>34851301
EMT upstate here, can confirm. I'd rather handle a GSW over a stab victim every time.

How are the ODs down there? My department sees far fewer people than you guys and we keep running running out of narcan.
>>
>>34851458
>EMT upstate
>running out of narcan
so glad i don't live in jefferson county anymore.
>>
>>34851458

Honestly i dont see it as much as the news likes to hype it. Maybe 4-5 conscious OD's ( high but no need to give narcan ) a month with a OD arrest every 2 months or so.

But my area isn't necessarily known for it.

Did some work in the Bronx and definitely saw more. Staten island is a wash... Have a buddy out there that works the harbor and pushes Narcan 5-6 times a week...
>>
>>34849740
>bullshit
>>
>>34850542
Shitty Mediterranean island where negros and slavic folks come to work for gipsies. A lovely place.
>>
>>34848835

Sucks to be you. Not even two weeks after I became a Paramedic, already got to treat my first gunshot victim. It was a 22. he was shot with, so there was nothing we can do for him.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.