[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/k/ommandos, I am going to be backcountry camping in a national

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 5

File: 396584.jpg (1MB, 2122x1415px) Image search: [Google]
396584.jpg
1MB, 2122x1415px
/k/ommandos, I am going to be backcountry camping in a national park in a few months. Estimated 35 mile hike to where a buddy and I will be staying. It's brown bear country on top of mountain lion/black bear.

I'm not trying to make this into a caliber debate or anything like that to preface this. Just looking for advice from people that are regularly in bear country. I have done a bit of research and people say 45-70 is the go to brown bear caliber. I could pick up a Marlin guide rifle for around $450. I have also heard that a lot of guides in Alaska carry a 12 gauge. I have multiple but the one I would bring is a 2002 Remington 870. I hear the go-to is a Brenneke black mag slug. I am definitely well versed in firing slugs but I have never shot 45-70.

As for my sidearm. I don't have a 10mm or a revolver of a capable caliber. If I were to get one, what would you suggest? I would prefer not to spend over $500 on a backup gun I will never have to use.

All advice/stories/info is appreciated. And before a bunch of people sperg out about bear spray, we will both have it on us at all times.
>>
>>34845558
Jeez, don't carry a rifle or shotgun around with you while hiking. I promise you, you will get sick of carrying the weight.

Bring a firearm for people if you want, just bring bear mace for bear. No point pouring money into a backup gun you won't be good enough to shoot well.
>>
>>34845601
I'm a vet. I'm used to carrying a rifle for extended periods of time. I don't trust bear mace to work on a pissed off charging bear. I would only use it if a bear was passively wandering too close for comfort. And if I were to get a backup gun I would have months to train with it before I go, so that is a non-issue.
>>
>>34845558
Get a smith 29. It's practical and generally all around fun to shoot. If you're going for a rifle, .45-70 isn't a bad choice at all, buy old marlin.
>>
Why are these guns against bear threads so common?
Statistically last year you were more likely to be killed by Hilary Clinton than by a bear.
In the woods dont be a dumbass, bears are not going out hunting people down.
>>
>>34846118
Tripfags fuck off
>>
>>34846118
look up the list of fatal bear attacks. In fatal attacks the bear quite literally charges a hiker or biker going down a trail at full speed in ambush mode and kills them as fast as possible. Ie they hunted them.
>>
If you're okay with the added 8lbs (after ammo) of the 870, I would do that. Cheapest, most capable, and probably the lightest you're going to get. If you had the $$, I would get a 44, 454, 460, or 500 short barrel.
>>
File: mixtape.webm (683KB, 720x404px) Image search: [Google]
mixtape.webm
683KB, 720x404px
>>34846118
It pulls double duty against both bears and druggies, natives. Plus its fun to blast shit around camp when you're bored.
>>
>>34846200
Weight isn't a problem for me. I do have a .44 lever action but I trust my Remington to do the job better. Thanks for the advice
>>34846118
Because unlike you, there are people that actually go outside. I don't care about statistics. I am going to be in bear country. That alone increases the odds of an attack 50 fold. I like to be prepared for anything. I am trying to gather information from people that live in bear country. If you don't and have nothing to offer, why not go back to /arg/ and shitpost about your ar you spent 5 grand on but never shoot?
>>
>>34845601
+1 for the bear mace.
>>
>>34845558
I would say a .44mag
>>
>>34846372
The fact of the matter is, OP, that bear mace is way more effective than a firearm. Nobody here has ever shot a bear in self-defense, so you're not gonna get authoritative answers. Pick the caliber that makes you feel best about the situation, but ultimately if you ever get stuck in the situation where you actually need the gun, you're probably SOL.
>>
>>34845558
Personally, if I were to carry anything it would be spray. That may be a preference thing, but I don't trust my aim enough to hit a small brain behind a thick skull. Plus the weight of the gun. It's only a 35 mile hike, but still I'd rather not have to deal with it.

Odds are you wont see a bear at all. Make sure to make sounds when you hike or listen to music out loud, anything to warn any bears that you're there as to not catch them off guard.
>>
Firearms are not allowed in NP. Unless you're going to one in Alaska or something.
>>
>>34845601
>>34847027
>bear mace

Y'all niggas need Jesus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tK609rbSBLs
>>
>>34848874
Explicitly untrue. Local firearms laws apply to national parks.
>>
File: 1484807232344.jpg (111KB, 720x720px) Image search: [Google]
1484807232344.jpg
111KB, 720x720px
>>34845558
When you park your truck in the national park, remove your truck gun from your truck and put it in your backpack. You'll then be prepared for any dangers on the trail.
>>
File: thanks google that was hard.png (24KB, 653x224px) Image search: [Google]
thanks google that was hard.png
24KB, 653x224px
>>34848874
>>
File: 1498970433971.jpg (171KB, 497x630px) Image search: [Google]
1498970433971.jpg
171KB, 497x630px
If you go with 45-70 gov't, choose a heavy, hardcast bullet at a minimum. You want the bullet to penetrate deep and shatter bone. Old hunter I knew said to shoot a charging bear in the shoulder to shatter the joint, and aim low to compensate for that fact that the target is coming directly at you.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.