[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Will magnetically-accelerated weaponry ever be scaled down to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5

File: Gauss_rifle_(Fallout_4).png (219KB, 984x343px) Image search: [Google]
Gauss_rifle_(Fallout_4).png
219KB, 984x343px
Will magnetically-accelerated weaponry ever be scaled down to the small arms scale? Would it be possible for these weapons to be fully automatic, if not semi? What are the chances they would dominate the market, and make conventional firearms obsolete relics?
>>
>>34842387
Weight, battery, ammunition, water falling from the sky...
>>
I feel like if they could be scaled down they would become too good to be true, able to pierce through any body armor imaginable. It's hard to imagine a reason anybody would buy anything else
>>
>>34842387
yes, yes, and low.

energy storage is a big problem, fast-acting discharge is a problem, and the rails or coils are a small problem.

You'd need a good plot device like room-temp superconductors.
>>
>>34842411
>implying components can't be shielded, like in pic related

The energy source can easily be something external you attach on your person if it's too cumbersome and we don't have like fusion cells or something by then
>>
>>34842442
>fug

>>34842429
Know any good links to read up on the physics, that aren't found in a cursory google search?
>>
File: pr.png (169KB, 979x268px) Image search: [Google]
pr.png
169KB, 979x268px
>>34842490
fuck you post the picture
>>
>>34842429
Can we use contemporary ballistics to compliment the rail system?
>>
File: Cheeki Breeki.jpg (65KB, 1465x405px) Image search: [Google]
Cheeki Breeki.jpg
65KB, 1465x405px
>>
File: DAWWW.png (215KB, 535x458px) Image search: [Google]
DAWWW.png
215KB, 535x458px
>>34842751
this guy just nailed my wet dream
>>
>>34842751

I think that's be pretty redundant. Unless it's possible to do it as an energy-saving maneuver?
>>
Well there was that's guy that made one on YouTube. It was able to fire metal projectiles both semi and auto. Powerful enough to fuck up cans and wood. A far cry from a military weapon. More of a toy. Comparable to a weak air rifle. Shows promise though.
>>
>>34842387
If they can ever find a material that can vent heat fast enough, maybe?
>>
>>34846867
I just saw that after making this thread, it's way too complicated a machine for such little power tho. I'm thinking I could make it that the mechanisms had been more or less simplified to the point that existing militaries would be using it for marksmen at least. If you forked over the big bucks you could get an AR that worked this way?
>>
File: IMG_3991.jpg (27KB, 650x474px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3991.jpg
27KB, 650x474px
>>34847466
Well I imagine it would be even harder for a marksman rifle since it would require higher velocities. Obviously you want the highest velocities you can but a marksman would need it over someone in closer ranges.

To be fair to him, he did it with tools and parts that he could get from hardware stores and such. With military funding I'm sure it could be done eventually. Tech in its infancy is always over sized and bulky. Look at old night vision and laser attachments for example.
>>
>>34847515
Not ragging on him per se just noting how much work you have to put in for that level even in 2017. This won't be practical for anything soon lol

And with that in mind, gauss small-arms for the rich five to six hundred years from now?
>>
>>34846867
I wouldnt mind bb/pelet railguns being a common household thing used for killing rodents.

>honey plugin the railgun! i saw a mouse in the kitchen!
>>
>>34842429
We already have it. Stanene is a room temp super conductor.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.