[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hello /k/. I come with a question. What is the correlation of

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 5

File: screenshot_1920_1080.jpg (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
screenshot_1920_1080.jpg
2MB, 1920x1080px
Hello /k/. I come with a question. What is the correlation of bullet velocity and stopping power?

Long story short, I've been playing pic related. Sniper Elite 4. Great game, etc, but I'm not here for that. I've been sticking the Springfield bolt action rifle to carry me through the game. It has a very high bullet velocity, but when put side by side with another rifle, it has less stopping power. And I've noticed this difference. My Springfield rifle allows me to pull off 350+ yard shots in the game while only leading my target a little bit (depending on wind) and bullet drop is negligible when you adjust the scope for that range. Yet sometimes, it'll take 2 shots center mass to drop a target.

Meanwhile the game keeps recommending the Lee Enfield rifle because it's higher damage, but it has a miserable bullet velocity. I have to lead my target by almost double compared to my Springfield and I'm lucky if I can get 150+ yard shots.

This being a game aside, how exactly are velocity and stopping damage linked? Does a high velocity also imply a higher stopping power and vice versa? I'd ask about this on /v/ but /k/ seems more like the place to tell me what I'm asking.

Unrelated to all that, what would cause one bolt action rifle to have faster or slower fire rate compared to another? They have to be manually re-chambered after each bullet right?
>>
>>34837367
>Yet sometimes, it'll take 2 shots center mass to drop a target.
that's just a retarded "feature" to encourage you to use other guns, it's not based on anything in real life. and if you think bullet drop in the sniper elite series isn't comically exaggerated, you're retarded.

>how exactly are velocity and stopping damage linked?
they're not, really. faster bullets tend to penetrate things better, smaller diameter bullets tend to penetrate hard things better (which is why AP rounds are hard and thin), heavier bullets tend to impact more kinetic energy, denser bullets tend to give less and larger diameter bullets cause more "damage" because they have a higher chance of hitting arteries and other important things.

"stopping power" is mostly a meme. both rifle and pistol rounds will kill someone if placed on vital areas, and the difference between rifle and pistol rounds when not hitting vital areas is negligible to considerable, depending on where they hit. a 7.62 is probably going to do more damage to one's arm muscle than a 9mm, but if it's not hitting bone it probably won't make a practical difference. penetration is not an issue as long as you can meet the FBI tests.
>>
File: 1493955542254.png (145KB, 335x402px) Image search: [Google]
1493955542254.png
145KB, 335x402px
>>34837431
>Bullet drop is exaggerated
I know that. I was simply saying the bullet drop from one to the other is night and day. I know it's a game mechanic. It was what made me think about this question though is all

And thanks for the info. I figured it came down to hitting something vital, regardless of caliber.
>>
>>34837367
heavy bullets take longer to slow down but don't go as fast. smaller bullets go really fast but also slow down quicker. stopping power is sometimes reduced by overpenetration which is why soft point bullets exist so they expand on impact and transfer more kinetic energy into the target. bigger slow bullets will hit harder than tiny fast ones but the tiny fast ones have better penetration.
>>
>>34837431
>Difference between rifle and pistol is negligible

Here's a you
>>
>>34837462
>9mm hits your jaw
oh no there goes a good chunk of it
>7.62 hits your jaw
oh no there goes half of it

you still have a hole in your fucking jaw

>9mm hits your knee
oh no you can't walk
>7.62 hits your knee
oh no you can't walk but the surgery will be worse

your knee is still BTFO

and if you were making that comment in relation to the vital areas, i sincerely ask you to test that theory out with your braincase. try a pistol round first.
>>
>>34837367

Ironically .30-06 is generally more potent than .303. Just chalk it up to retarded devs who wanted to balance and generate artificial diversity between rifles that are essentially identical for all practical purposes.
>>
File: savage-110-hat.jpg (232KB, 1441x524px) Image search: [Google]
savage-110-hat.jpg
232KB, 1441x524px
>>34837478

>9mm hits heart region

Oh guy continues to fight on until he bleeds out 10 to 15 seconds later, possibly killing you by shooting you as well

>Guy shot in the heart by a .308

Bleeds out in 4 to 6 seconds, and loses consciousness due to extreme blood pressure drop, resulting fragments very likely damaged his spinal cord, making an instantaneous drop.

Ever wondered why people choose big caliber bullets for big game? Sure, you can kill an bear with a .22 if you're hunting/poaching, but would you still want that .22 if that bear is charging you?

Would you still prefer a 9mm over a .308 if that man is shooting at you?
>>
IRL the .303 had lower energy than other WW2 cartridges like the 30-06 and 7.92mm Mauser but in reality it was deadlier because the standard MK7 ball round was filled with aluminum or wood in the tip, this made it flip backwards and break into pieces when it hit something heavier than air.

Surplus MK7 was widely considered to be suitable for hunting any medium game in Australia for this reason, unlike most other WW2 surplus ball rounds.
>>
>>34838584

Is this true? Sounds like the .22lr will bounce meme
>>
File: MK7recovered.jpg (26KB, 540x391px) Image search: [Google]
MK7recovered.jpg
26KB, 540x391px
>>34838590

Yes, on this page you'll see three different variants of the MK7 tested, the first one has the jacket stay in tact but its contents have been ejected, the second jacket splits into two large pieces and most of the contents is ejected and the third jacket gets split down the side with part of the contents being ejected.

The Greek XTP which is also shown isn't a MK7 design as it doesn't have a lightweight core.

https://www.theboxotruth.com/the-box-o-truth-37-the-deadly-303-british-and-the-box-o-truth/
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.