[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

This probably sounds stupid, but has anybody ever made a flintlock

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 4

File: 021b5f0b3de059822d79c2860f97b3a2.jpg (115KB, 1024x630px) Image search: [Google]
021b5f0b3de059822d79c2860f97b3a2.jpg
115KB, 1024x630px
This probably sounds stupid, but has anybody ever made a flintlock black powder paper cartridge rifle?

I'm asking because it sounds like a viable homemade SHTF gun if you don't have access to ammunition or spent cases for reloading. All you need is flint, paper, black powder, and lead. The flint spark presumably would ignite the paper cartridge and fire the round, no need for percussion caps or flashpans making operation as smooth as any other single shot rifle.

Have some operators from Kashmir from a few years ago in advance.
>>
>>34830241
Only if you don't have access to the tools to reload your own rounds for some reason.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mwhmk-4bDS4#t=129
>>
>>34830241
Paper cartridges were used to hold sufficient powder for a shot together with the ball, making reload simpler than using a seperate powder flask and bullet box. The sparks from the flintlock are not enough to ignite an unopened cartridge.

The user would bite the cartridge open and pour most of the powder down the barrel, keeping back a pinch for the pan.
They would then drop the ball (and the paper, which acted as wadding) down the barrel before ramming the load home.
Tbey would then put the pinch of powder in the pan, before closing the pan cover and cocking the weapon. It would then be ready to fire.
Due to the closer fit needed by rifles for the ball and patch/wadding to actually engage the rifling, they were slower to reload and took more effort to ram home the load.
tl:dr You can't do it without the flashpan, percussion cap or slowmatch.
>>
File: 640px-AN-PVS-5C-Cut_image.jpg (46KB, 640x327px) Image search: [Google]
640px-AN-PVS-5C-Cut_image.jpg
46KB, 640x327px
>>34830241
Paper shotgun shells where a thing and still are a thing in third world countries.
>>
>>34830241
You mean like a needle gun? maybe with modern materials the whole super fragile fireing pin thing could be at least mitigated a bit. Maybe one of those billets of tungsten that are used for armor peircing bullets and machine it into a pin.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Needle_gun
>>
>>34832404
Needle gun still had a percussion cap, it was just glued to the projectile inside the case, hence the "needle' firing pin being at risk of damage as it was within the deflagrating powder in the case at the time of ignition..
>>
>>34832337
I believe they were a thing for frugal Americans until around 1950? Or something similar

Also black powder guns are/were used after being "outdated" because it's cheap, just powder and slug, no brass case or plastic &brass shell.
>>
File: IMG_2580.jpg (310KB, 2048x1139px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2580.jpg
310KB, 2048x1139px
>>34830241
part one
https://youtu.be/n2YldCG9iBo
part two
https://youtu.be/t_zE91zB7ek
>>
>>34830241
Do you understand how difficult it is to make a proper flintlock mechanism?
It would be alot easier, reliable and faster to reload if you make your own percussion caps.
>>
>>34830241
my old highschool history/geography teacher used to make black powder rifles and pistols. iirc he bought kits and made them. he had like 4 or 5 of them that he made by the time i graduated.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.