[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What happens to old M16s when they get worn out? Could they be

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

File: m16.jpg (80KB, 564x854px) Image search: [Google]
m16.jpg
80KB, 564x854px
What happens to old M16s when they get worn out? Could they be converted to semi auto and sold to the civilian market?
>>
Why would you buy one? If it's so worn-out lump of shit that even military doesn't want them anymore, why would anyone else?
>>
>>34829199
What do you think milsurp is?
>>
Get given to allies or "moderate rebel groups". The older carry handle ones got given to Israel, the Philippines and probably a few other countries I'm forgetting. These days A4s are given to the Iraqi army and other regional friendlies.
>Could they be converted to semi auto and sold to the civilian market
Highly unlikely. The act of having an AR with provisions for full auto/burst would probably be considered constructive intent by the ATF, even if they were made that way in the factory. The cost to civilianize the lowers and bolts would not justify the effort when the market is saturate with ARs.
>>
>>34829240
I don't know much about ARs. I was under the impression that all you have to do to convert them to semi auto is remove the disconnector. Is it more involved?
>>
they go to israel
>>
>>34829257
The automatic ones have a third pin hole above the safety selector, this hole would need to be filled in. The safety selector, as well as the sear and possibly the disconnector would have to be switched out. Not worth it when you can get a new, not worn-out rifle in the US for about $400 these days
>>
>>34829187
They are sold or given to U.S satellite states. They could never be sold in the U.S because they are post 86 NFA weapons and converting them to semi auto would not change their legal status as machine guns.
>>
>>34829187
They get sent to a shredder.

Thanks obama.
>>
>>34829210
Outdated/obsolete stuff traditionally. Yugo M48s are considered milsurp and many of them were never used
>>
https://www.google.com/amp/www.foxnews.com/us/2016/02/25/meet-captain-crunch-pentagon-gun-muncher-that-has-destroyed-1m-firearms.amp.html

They get shredded, we dont surplus them anymore. Obama policy
>>
File: JPEG_20170811_002518.jpg (3MB, 4128x3096px) Image search: [Google]
JPEG_20170811_002518.jpg
3MB, 4128x3096px
Some old m16a1 parts kits are still available
I built pic related from one
>>
>>34829508
how the fuck did you build an AK with M16 parts?
>>
>>34829240
Bolts don't have to be civilianized
>>
>>34829528
Kek
>>
>>34829528
Sheer power of will
>>
Armorer here, it's called DRMO. I forget what it stands for but we basically destroy them. Cut the receivers up so there's no way anyone can use it again. It's really fucking stupid and costs a lot of money to do. Even for stuff that wouldn't be prohibited on the civilian market like M9's and shotguns.
>>
>>34829622
Is this the true power of communism?
>>
>>34829645
Defence reutilization and marketing office, we just use it like a verb for some reason.
>>
My dad's first AR was built from a air force lower receiver his buddy sent him from the first gulf war. Out of the three he owns it's probably my favorite.
>>
>>34829187
Some were cut up into parts kits sans the lower receiver because the ATF considers a weapon a MG for eternity once it's registered as such.
>>
>>34829683
Also an illegal machine gun. RIP doggo.
>>
>>34829394
What happens to the shreds? Do they get melted down for recycling?
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.