[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

whats so great about the midlength gas system? what advantages

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

File: midlength gas system.jpg (78KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
midlength gas system.jpg
78KB, 640x480px
whats so great about the midlength gas system? what advantages does it have mechanically over a carbine length gas system on a 16 inch barrel?
>>
Longer sight radius with a front sight gas block. Lower pressure acting on the gas key. Less likely to shit unburnt powder into your mouth. Less likely to put your brass into a low orbit.
>>
>>34827795
Is there any downside to them on a 16-18" barrel? Seems like it's objectively better than a carbine length with those barrels on paper.
>>
>>34828063
Not enough to matter? It used to be harder to find hand guards for a mid length, but it's a common enough standard that it's not a problem.
>>
>>34828063
carbine length is objective shit.
>>
>>34828063
>Is there any downside to them on a 16-18" barrel?

Gas tubes won't be cheap via military surplus/contract overrun nor will the handguards.

That's about it.
>>
>>34828063

Literally the only downside is that you have the balance is shifted sightly muzzleward. And that's only very slightly. There is no good operational reason to go with carbine gas on a 16" barrel.
>>
>>34827778
literally everything you need to know after 1 google search.
http://www.guntweaks.com/mid-length-vs-carbine-gas-systems.html
>>
>>34828093

What? Just built a mid length upper a few days ago. The gas tube was $8.

One advantage of a mid length setup is that they will generally run any buffer you throw in. A carbine buffer will work perfectly fine, but you might find you like the feel of an H or H2 better.
>>
File: IMG_0309.jpg (91KB, 1024x451px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0309.jpg
91KB, 1024x451px
They also just look gooder than the carbine gas on a 16" barrel
>>
>>34829080
I wasn't talking about the casual builder.

Colt doesn't have large amounts of midlength gas tubes lying around. They have loads of carbine length tubes from M4 production. To them it's nearly free compared to paying for a special nonmilitary gas tube, which is why they refuse to release a midlength rifle.
>>
>>34829147

Ah, sorry. Yeah, gov isn't going to spend money to change something that works "most of the time". For someone who has control over their build/gun there's laterally no reason to ever use a carbine length gas system.
>>
>>34829216
>gov isn't going to spend money to change something that works "most of the time"
What?
>>
>>34829312

What what? The carbine length system "works". It's shit, but it works. The military isn't going to spend money to change it.
>>
>>34829497
The carbine length system works great on 14.5 inch barrels.
>>
>>34827778
Nothing really, it's just a retarded meme from /arg/.
>hurr low recoil!
From a 5.56.
>hurr aesthetics
Function > Form every time.
Gas systems from best to worst.
Rifle
Carbine
Mid-length
Pistol
>>
>>34830995
This bit you need to specify barrel length.
>>
Midlength are so 2007
>>
16" carbines are generally overgassed, but it wasn't really a problem prior to the middy

i hate the extra forward weight and a H2 is more than enough to tame a gassy 16" carbine.
>>
>>34827778

The middy barrel will be lighter, if you are comparing two "govt" profile 16" carbines. If they are both LW barrels, then it's kind of a moot point.

It's not that recoil is a major issue with 5.56, the problem is to why it is happening. The carbine gas system was meant to have a 14.5in barrel as to mimic the dwell time of a 20in rifle gas system. While 1.5in might not seem like a lot, when the system is being pressurized to a state above 50k psi, every fraction of a second counts. What that means to the average shooter is mostly nothing, but if you plan on owning this rifle for a long time the benefit of increasing the gas system length means that extraction happens at a lower pressures, meaning your internal parts don't wear as quickly, because it's not trying to rip it out as hard under high pressure.

Beyond just mechanical shit, the smoother recoil makes it easier to make follow-up shots, less fatigue trying to muscle the gun back on target (I'm not a muzzlebrake fag) and less gas ring and extractor wear.

Now if it is significantly cheaper to buy a carbine length I would say go ahead, but given the same price, I would recommend mid-length over carbine.
>>
>>34827778
>whats so great about the midlength gas system?

Since you need a tax stamp for a proper 14.5" carbine barrel, and many people don't want a full length 20" barrel, a 15" barrel is a common compromise. Amidlength gas system puts the gas port in the correct place to function well with a 16" barrel. Carbine length gas systems work with 16" barrels, but are overgassed.

If the NFA wasn't an issue, 16" barrels would be a niche commodity, and most people would probably buy 14.5" barrels with carbine gas systems.
>>
>>34828063
>Seems like it's objectively better than a carbine length with those barrels on paper.

It is. The only reason 16" carbine gas rifles exist is because it's cheaper for companies to make, since they can reuse a lot of parts made en masse for the M4.
The only reason people defend 16" carbine gas usage is because they own one of these and are usually too emotionally invested in the company (Coltfags, looking at you) to be able to admit they've been cheaped out on.
>>
>>34833727
Carbine in a 16" is going to be more reliable. I'd rather be slightly over gassed than slightly under gassed. One still works while the other is a bolt action.
>>
>>34833775
> I'd rather be slightly over gassed than slightly under gassed.

Good thing we're talking about optimal gas vs overgassed then.
There is no benefit to being overgassed and it may cause extraction issues.
>>
takes bayonet
>>
>>34830995
Kill you'reself
>>
>>34827795
>Less likely to put your brass into a low orbit
Kek. Also if you do want to achieve lunar orbit try a PTR
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.