[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

My friend is an armorer in the Navy. He told me something kind

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 8

File: images.jpg (12KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
12KB, 259x194px
My friend is an armorer in the Navy. He told me something kind of interesting, and it makes sense, but I have never heard it before and cant really find anything relating to it online.

He said that when SOCOM/recon guys come to get kitted out before a mission most guys get LMGs or even MMGs of some kind. Thought process behind this, is that if they get found, things have gone horribly wrong and they will very likely be hugely outnumbered, and have to execute a fighting withdrawal. So in a team of like 13 guys, they will have 1 guy delegated to the high power optics and other surveillance/comms gear, 1 guy with a M32MGL with like 60 grenades, 1 guy delegated to sentry removal with a suppressed rifle and 1 magazine of subsonic ammunition, as well as a suppressed handgun, and like 10 guys with MK46s, M240s, and highly modified M60s. In addition to that most of them carry sawed off M79s with a few 40mm grenades, and literal rucksacks full of nothing but ammo belts and MREs. They also apparently get a shitload of "go pills" they usually give to pilots which is basically meth and they can stay awake and sharp for days. So if they get found out and take contact, they can lay down so much firepower the enemy will think they are going after a platoon sized element instead of like 10 dudes. Kinda makes sense to me, but what does /k/ think? Is my buddy full of shit?
>>
>>34821776
>1776 get
>>
the problems with comments like this are twofold:
1) SF guys can basically do and use whatever they want
2) these stories and comments are essentially impossible to verify in many cases

in other words, whether or not it's true or feasible for them to use that equipment, if it isn't verifiable then why waste time thinking about it?
>>
File: 1499143126211.webm (1MB, 720x404px) Image search: [Google]
1499143126211.webm
1MB, 720x404px
>>34821803
Fuck yus
>>
who cares
>>
LMGs don't grant you the mobility that comes with a lighter firearm.
>>
>>34821810
>SF guys can basically do and use whatever they want

No they can't.
>>
Sounds like a made up fantasy story.
>>
>>34821776
Yes, it is a tactic.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long-range_reconnaissance_patrol
>>
makes sense

fuck the haters

maybe more in a jungle though
>>
>Is my buddy full of shit?
Yes. Though:

>So if they get found out and take contact, they can lay down so much firepower the enemy will think they are going after a platoon sized element instead of like 10 dudes
This isn't that wide of the mark.

A four man brick in Borneo could put down enough fire to make the Indonesians think they were dealing with a platoon. This was rarely done, as the Communists rarely had a chance to have a prolonged engagement with us - but it was practiced for and we were equipped to do it if necessary. Multiple instances they were picked up by static sentries and positions, then under interrogation professed the belief they had encountered a British platoon or even a company. They had not.

If your mate is USN, then their SEAL teams split 13 men into seven and six. This is from a while back, and based off an exercise in Denmark that is a story of its own, but each component had at least one M60. The rest had short barreled Colts, with the M60 men having a sidearm. No one was on drugs, though we had a bit to drink the night before with the Danish Home Guard lads. Everyone, including the OC, carried spare link for the M60s and the GPMG we brought.

SF troopers do not take what they want. Everything is signed out the armoury and kept by it, same as any other outfit. It's all stamped, recorded and booked in and out. You aren't led into a room James Bond style and told to have at it, you're told what to take by the individual in charge.
>>
>>34821927
I was, for a time, an instructor at the ILRRP school at Weingarten. I'd be happy to answer questions, even if I am a bit out of date.
>>
>>34822004
That's badass.

As I do with other awesome people, what's the most relevant interesting thing you remember from your service?
>>
>>34821997
>he thinks SOF doesn't have connexs full of whatever the fuck they want
Wrong.
>>
File: Light-04-FS.jpg (652KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Light-04-FS.jpg
652KB, 1024x768px
>>34822004
Considering the slight changes the war against ISIS brought on the table, what is in your opinion the best kind of vehicle for today's long range reconnaissance patrol in desertic evironments ? If you ever dealt with these questions of course.

Do these half opened kitted 4x4 fitted with machine guns still make sense despite their very "desert rats" philosophy, or should SF and recon opt for a more "standard" fully armored vehicle with optronic masts, drone launching and recovery platforms, and more heavy weaponry, think 20 to 30mm cannons, ATGMs, and so on ?

pic related, is this sort of things still relevant ?
>>
>>34821776
>basically meth

No. The provigil they take is NOT an amphetamine, does jack up your pulse or anything like that. It simply magically removes any feelings of fatigue and increases mental clarity with virtually no side effects
Source: I am a paramedic on prescription midafinil for working night shift
>>
>>34821776
He's talking about Vietnam
>>
>>34822485
https://military.polaris.com/en-us/combat/dagor-military-tan/
>>
>>34821776
it is an exaggeration as the mobility penalty is too great

If they are doing LRRP, one M60 per team with some ammo and thermite grenade is sufficient. Once all the ammo is burnt up, just cut the 60 in half with the thermite. The team can now book it without having to carry 200 lbs of weapons and ammo
>>
>>34822567
Then why didn't you spell modafinil correctly?

It's got no known short term side effects but the effects of prolonged use are not well studied. Good for cramming for finals or operating three days without sleep though.
>>
>>34822660
O and I are right next to each other, it was probably just a typo.
>>
>>34822660
Because autocorrect lol

Also as far as side effects go most seem to be transient as your body adjusts to first taking the mess. Having ADD, the only side effect it has, as all ADD meds have, is that it exacerbates tics, but this is alleviated by exercise
>>
>>34821855
You can be surprisingly mobile with a saw. It's not nearly as heavy as you'd think and it's definitely possible to use pretty accurately standing.

Hell with the right grip, I do it with a 240B.
>>
>>34821834
>Jew York Harbor
>Murrican
Pick one
>>
>>34821776
Idk man, Ive read american sniper, no easy day, black hawk down, and everyone seems to mostly carry 416's. Im sure things change with the situation, but I guarantee that most of the guys carry 416's wherever they go.
>>
>>34821776
Its fairly common to lay down a large base of fire while breaking contact so the attackers have no chance to close distance or assess the threat fully.
>>
>>34821839
This is why I buy and enjoy firearms tho
>>
>>34823080
You know, innajungle, maybe an ipod and some speakers playing a SAW recording on loop can confuse the enemy.
>>
>>34822567
Not a medical expert, but I work with pilots who take go pills. Most of the time they seem normal, but occasionally you get a guy who's taken too many and is twitchy and itchy while in debrief
>>
>>34822567
The frogs used something like this in 1990 during the first gulf war, the "virgil" pill.
It led guys with horrible side effects including loss of IQ, parkinson, stuff like that.
I would not touch these sort of things without gloves and a 10 feet pole.
It led to a national scandal but was ultimately put under the rug.
>>
>>34822567
PROTIP: Its called Dextroamphetamine, The green hornet, go pill, the football, and numerous other names....and its basically meth.
>>
>>34823208
I sure as hell would be confused to see that garbage movie be played on loop in some jungle
>>
>>34823340
no you are not, and you have no knowledge of meds
>>
>>34823208
The confusing part being that there isn't enough incoming fire to match the sound
>>
vid related

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6zHMZrwDis
>>
>>34822567
>durr I am in a medical field
>hurr magic

Kill yourself
>>
>>34822851
>autocorrect spells a drugs name incorrect implying you had typed it correctly

Go away
>>
>>34821776
wrong, they do carry a ludicrous amount of magazines though, close to 20.
>>
>>34822477
hey baby when done talking with your friends online dinners ready, I made your favorite. love mom.
P.s. I'm glad you put the xbox down but you have to limit your computer time too okay sweetie.
>>
File: xkg9Ugu.png (657KB, 800x836px) Image search: [Google]
xkg9Ugu.png
657KB, 800x836px
>>34823340
Alright, some clarification from some drug user I guess.

Newer go pills now approved for the airforce are based on modafinil and its derivatives. It basically jolts you awake and keeps you that way for about 12 hours. It's pretty benign and has basically no side effects. Basically a miracle medicine.

Older go pills used by the allies are based on amphetamine. Usually the dextroamphetamine enatiomer is used since it has less peripheral side effects than racemic amphetamine or 100% levoamphetamine.

In WWII the axis used methamphetamine-based go pills. Functionally they worked about the same as amp. But we now know meth is comparatively more neurotoxic than amp which is why countries have been phasing those out in favor of other medications.

Both types of amphetamines have side effects commonly associated with stimulant use, most noticeably a crash when it wears off. There is no crash when you use modafinil. Modafinil is less recreational and has a better side effect profile. It fulfills the job of keeping soldiers awake better.
>>
>>34823208
In Vietnam they used to plant fireworks for that
>>
>>34821889
>Big boy rules
>>
>>34821810
I had a buddy that came back from Afghanistan and repeat the whole .50 cal rounds will break your legs and collapse your lungs if they come within a few feet of you bullshit. Then proceeded to call me a fucking liberal faggot when I called him out on it.

I take gun commentary with a grain of salt from veterans and active duty now.
>>
in vietnam most seals carried stoners idk about modern shit
>>
>>34823516
Not understanding simile and metaphors or taking things literally is a sign of autism, anon. The exact pharmacodynamics and mechanism if this drug are not yet entirely understood
>>
>>34823037
1. you have to be 18 to post here.
2. 416's didn't exist in 1993
>>
>>34821776
maximum fuddlore
>>
A friend of mine was SF and told me in Afghanistan they had warehouses full of all NATO weapons and just signed out what they wanted, if he was driving a vehicle he would use an mp5k he told me, also showed me pics. Indeed legit.
>>
>>34821776
I can't speak specifically for any spec ops guys but I was in a LRS unit for 6 years. Our 6 man teams very rarely took crew serve weapons. The idea behind it is that taking contact means your mission is compromised and you aren't likely to gain fire superiority. That's what QRF teams were for. 90% of the time when you get in a tic with a small detachment, you're gonna immediately break contact. Then again our mission was almost never target interdiction. It was mostly getting real time eyes on back to higher. Travelling as light as possible made that easier.
>>
>>34821776
Sounds like a lot of weight to be carrying.
>>
File: 1500720999762.gif (1MB, 400x226px) Image search: [Google]
1500720999762.gif
1MB, 400x226px
>>34823735
>>
>>34823735
I've had a "vet" try to tell me that armor piercing ammo for the .50bmg can penetrate the armor on an M1 abrams. Oh, and that he could easily make snap shots while standing out to 500M with an AR.

Tried to only chuckle under my breath...
>>
>>34823797
>most
>>
>>34822485

What is the best is a vehicle that looks like every other vehicle. Rolling around in a box with wheels that is clearly an unfriendly military vehicle is always the worst option on a long range mission.
>>
>>34821855
Unless you're a GDI Commando.
>That was left handed...
>>
>>34821776
I think your buddy is full of shit.
>>
>>34825120
His dad also works for Nintendo.
>>
>>34823340
Modafinil is NOT dextroamphetamine.
>>
>>34825195

Dextroamphetamine is my dad at Nintendo.
>>
>>34821776
They have something similar here, where they have one gunner in case of a firefight. But it depends on the situation, most of the time they'll sacrifice it to stay lighter.
But the MG vs no MG is sort of the same argument as chest rig vs plate carrier. You're not supposed to get caught so why have a plate carrier, but what if you do get caught?
>>
This horse looks pretty dead to me but FYI

>Dextro/levo amphetamine aren't modern go pills
>a mixture of dextro/levo is pretty much what adderall is anyways. Not that bad for you as long as you dont go on multi day binges with no sleep in which case lolamphetaminepsychosis
>way back in the day amphetamine derivatives WERE used by allied forces
>methamphetamine/derivatives were used largely by axis forces and sometimes by allied or other forces.
>modafinil is essentially a whole different animal from the two
>not really an amphetamine and doesn't make you speed.
>IMHO may very well end up having weird long term effects, particularly if taken in large amounts/frequently, but what doesn't
>>
>>34825255
You got him there. Relax in your victory.
>>
File: 1477272318578.png (286KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
1477272318578.png
286KB, 480x480px
>>34821776
>1776

seems legit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCNnZSkZqUE
>>
>>34823372
is this bait or are you retarded?
>>
>>34822567
>prescription midafinil

You ever read this story before?

>You need to know (and monitor) your own body, and not ignore physiological imbalance, even if it seems trivial. Drink a lot of water, eat lots of nutritious food while taking it, and for the love of god, do not stay up more than 2 or 3 nights in a row without sleep. It’s not worth it….make no mistake - modafinil is an effective medication, and like all effective medications, it has side effects, (light) mental habituation, and potentially life threatening side effects if used improperly.

>At the end of one particularly rough 9 days or so of straight usage during a major release for a contract, averaging 3 hours of sleep once every two to three nights (and the rest solidly awake), I settled with the team at a 24-hour diner right before release, and had an all-potato breakfast. My stomach had been steadily gaining in acidity over the week, but I had ignored it.

>A couple of hours later, I threw up and accidentally inhaled a small amount of the most corrosive stomach acid I’ve ever felt. When I coughed it out I tasted blood, and shortly after found it harder to breath.

>The bleeding was so profuse that I found it necessary to handstand over a hotel bathroom sink to let it all drain out without choking me.

>Luckily the person who had dropped me off was nearby - I phoned him and he took me straight to the hospital. I never had experienced that level of lung trauma before, and I’ve had a lot of hospitalization events related to some pretty severe asthma in my life, and it was this moment more than any other in my life that I seriously considered that I might die.

>In the end, I made it out with a light lung infection, and was treated at the hospital for an allergic reaction. I’ve never been able to eat potatoes since without experiencing an allergic reaction.
>>
>>34824385
>Oh, and that he could easily make snap shots while standing out to 500M with an AR.

Against a torso size stationary target?

That's not so hard that I would put it past a skilled shooter.

Though of course, if your """vet""" buddy lied about the .50, he could be lying about other things.
>>
>>34828582
>is this bait or are you retarded?

>what are "jokes" ???
>>
>>34821776
Navy SEALs had such SOP since Vietnam war, to the point where they purchased Stoner 63 just to turn it into LMGs lighter than M60.

It makes sense for modern SEALs/DEVGRU to stick to that practice since it's rather effective and MG's have been getting lighter, more accurate and more reliable since then.

But then again it's all mission specific and direct action raids like Al Qaeda's hideout were done with 416 carbines.
>>
>>34822457
From Weingarten/Belgium, probably going back to supervise an instructor's cadre and seeing just how far we'd come on in the space of ten years. It was just a far more sophisticated operation. The quality was as high as it ever was, but by the mid 80s it had really turned into something special. I have only seen a higher standard of instruction and output in three other locations (Johor Baru, Brecon, Fort Benning).

In general, probably my stint at the JSIW. Mostly office work but fascinating stuff.

>>34822485
Absolutely still relevant, to the point where the likes of 22 SAS' Mobility Troop and their Delta equivalent are finding themselves the focal point of western operations in open country.

There have been a few weird and wonderful exercises over the years, many involving motorcycles or dedicated "beach buggy" style vehicles, but the 4X4 remains the most sensible choice. Operation is simpler, it can be used for light cover, the weapons are common to the ones carried by the soldiers and so on.
>>
>>34821889
Special forces have first pick for gear and lots of leeway with how to complete their mission. Oversight is basically impossible and most of these missions are high priority so spec ops can basically take anything they damned well please so long as it doesn't get captured.
>>
>>34821997
>SF troopers do not take what they want. Everything is signed out the armoury and kept by it, same as any other outfit. It's all stamped, recorded and booked in and out. You aren't led into a room James Bond style and told to have at it, you're told what to take by the individual in charge.

But keep in mind that what a SEAL team is allowed to requisition for a mission amounts to anything they can carry. Spec ops doctrine allows for lots of improv so Command doesn't really care if they want enough firepower to destroy a small town so long as it helps them do their job.
>>
>>34829419
>Oversight is basically impossible
Aside from the fact they are far closer supervised, under more stringent regulations, with far more professional individuals than anyone else.

>spec ops can basically take anything they damned well please so long as it doesn't get captured.
Wrong, again. You take "whatever you please" and you find out that no one has the same ammunition. No one can exchange parts.

SF units still have armories, which sign out whatever deemed necessary by the OC. They might have more in there than other groups but they are not just given free reign over what to take. They take as much in common as possible, in the event that someone has to use the weapon of another.
>>
>>34829440
You're basing this off absolutely no real world experience whatsoever.
>>
>>34822978
Barebones M4 is like 7.5 lbs. I think those mk whatever m249s are like 13? An m240b is 37 lbs, you ain't doing that for mobility
>>
>>34823340
Didn't they stop using that after Apache pilots who were barely old enough to drink did a bunch of stupid shit during the early days of the Iraq war.
>>
File: image.jpg (305KB, 1624x976px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
305KB, 1624x976px
>>34821776
Do they have any Mark 23s or Mark 24s in the armory?
>>
>>34821776
the worst thing you have to do against multiple oponents is reloading. So probably yes.
>>
>>34829488
Barebones M4 is 6.5lbs. A Mk46 (the NAVSPECWAR version of the m249) weighs 12.5 pounds, and the M249 SPW (the USSOCOM m249) weighs 13 pounds in original configuration and 11.5 pounds in "stripped down" configuration with the short barrel from the para-SAW. The mk48 (the NAVSPECWAR and USSOCOM m240) weighs 17 pounds.
>>
>>34824385
SLAP-T *could* probably penetrate certain aspects of an Abrams' armor though.
>will penetrate 3/4" HHA (roughly AR500 armorplate) at 1500m
That's the turret and glacis on a BMP3 at 1500m. Shit's no joke.
>>
>>34823340
That literally is meth, dextro (isomers) are just mirrored images of molecules. And no, you're wrong
>>
I just wanted to post and say I really like cats
>>
All behave very differently tho. Found the whole ambian scandal with the seals etc pretty interesting. Test fucked to the level of an ancient man
>>
>>34823951
I see you don't understand the word "Fudd" - Please resume posting on Reddit.
>>
>>34823687
Does anyone have the pic describing Americans planting a device designed to mimic gunfire inside of an enemy camp? It lead to all the bad guys in the camp waking up and shooting at each other, thinking they were the Americans.
>>
>>34822567
>>34823675
>>34823873
>No known side effects
>Labeled safe when not yet fully understood
>Used en masse
It's literally the next agent orange.
Thread posts: 85
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.