[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I bought a surplus FN Hi Power a while ago. I haven't shot

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 5

File: IMG_2617.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2617.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
I bought a surplus FN Hi Power a while ago. I haven't shot it in a while but I took it out and noticed that the action is very sticky. It goes back, then hits this wall, then snaps all the way back. This is independent of the hammer itself, as it does this even when the hammer is cocked. At one point I was worried that I bent the magazine release, since there was this one time I tried to put it back in with the magazine still in and it wouldn't go in, but looking at it I doubt I have enough strength to bend that thing with my fingers, it's fucking tough as hell, and to top it off when I take the slide release out, the action is still sticky. I think it has to do with the barrel unlocking. I think the lugs are getting caught up on something. It's not a lube issue either. Even though I haven't shot it in a while I still give it a run down of CLP every month to make sure it doesn't rust. Is this normal? I've been googling and haven't found anything on this.

I'm kind of afraid to shoot it because if it does have a problem I don't want to make it worse, but I'm not sure I want to take it to a gun smith just yet if it's just a normal feature of Hi Powers.
>>
>>34813331

I noticed this with my Star Model B Super, which iirc uses the same locking system. There's a point in the slides travel where there's a lot of resistance and you barely need to apply any pressure to hold the slide in place, it practically sticks there. The odd thing is I don't remember it being like that when I first got it, which made me think something was wrong. But if anything the gun only got more reliable after...
>>
>>34813449
So I take it you shot it some after discovering this?

I'm debating on taking it to my next range trip.

I've taken it apart multiple times and don't see any significant wear or anything wrong with the internals, but I'm no expert.
>>
>>34813331

Make a video and post it as unlisted on youtube or on one of the various webm with audio hosting sites people use here. If it's independent of the hammer, it seems pretty strange, but then again, I haven't owned Hi Powers in a while so it may be easily explained. I wouldn't worry about shooting it unless you can see any cracks, and even if there is a crack somewhere, usually these things develop gradually and don't result in an immediate kaboom. Closely inspect the gun, inside and out, and report back.
>>
>>34813517

Yeah I've shot it a couple times since and it ran fine. In fact i also think it may have reduced felt recoil a bit, which would make sense since it's slowing the action somewhat. That made me think it was supposed to be like that all along, but then what made it not do that at first is beyond me. Maybe there was just some hidden packing grease overly lubricating the action that needed to be worked out, if such a thing is possible.
>>
>>34813331
where did you buy it senpai?

thinking about getting a Browning Hi-Power Standard myself here in short order
>>
File: IMG_0129.jpg (1MB, 3221x2151px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0129.jpg
1MB, 3221x2151px
>>34813532
Great idea. here you go.
http://webm.land/media/GvSU.webm

For the record the slide doesn't get phyiscally stuck at the spot I'm demonstrating to the point where I can't move it. If I pull it hard enough the slide goes all the way back no problem. I'm just doing that to show where the "wall" is.

>>34813793
Mach 1 Arsenal. I was going to buy it from Gunbroker but they were being fags about accepting my credit card for some reason so I just contacted the Surplus dealer directly and bought the gun from them. 450 OTD which these days is pretty damn good. It was my first handgun and I really enjoyed shooting it, but I didn't quite want to use it for defensive purposes for a number of reasons (don't want some pig 'borrowing it' from an evidence locker) so I bought a Glock 19. I pretty much shoot the glock exclusively now, but pulling it out again I really want to shoot it again. It points so much better than the glock and feels like a damn leather glove in my hand.
>>
>>34813331
Hey GarandThumb senpai

W O O D

G R I P S
R
I
P
S
>>
File: NU250px-Gun_Shop_Owner.jpg (12KB, 250x237px) Image search: [Google]
NU250px-Gun_Shop_Owner.jpg
12KB, 250x237px
>tfw fn discontinuing the hi power

People can dick ride the shitty 1911 into meme status but not the superior hi power? The ass pain is real.
>>
>>34814021

Do you not own a proper pair of headphones?
>>
>>34814280
Hi-Power is basically an objectively better pistol, the only reason it isn't as common as the 1911 is that the US military was full of stopan powah fudds, and what the military does the civilian market follows like a flock of sheep.
>>
>>34814280
I got a 1991 built one before they went to Portugal. Thing is beat up cosmetically but it's a great shooter.

Basically it's an improved 1911.
>>
>>34814301
Not right now. I just moved to a new state and my old ones broke.

>>34814233
Definitely going to do that sometime in the future.

>>34814379
Mine is also 1991 (same year I was born)

>>34814280
Since the patent is old as the hills cant anyone make them? I don't see why no one would. I mean it's pretty much the only SAO 9mm pistol out there that's not a 1911, and as far as ergos go, I've yet to hold anything that comes close.
>>
>>34814453
Mine was a police trade-in from Israel. Aside from the scuffs that I buff out, it's really a nice shooter. Get the 15 round Mec-Gar magazines and it's still a viable 9mm compared to modern guns.
>>
>>34814506
You probably have one from the same lot as mine then. Does it do the thing I described in the OP?
>>
>>34814021
That looks like it's where the slide goes over the hammer, is it not? Is it before or after the slide contacts the hammer?
>>
>>34813331
Its rubbing against the hammer, even though its cocked, it has to take it farther back than full cock to cock the hammer.

You're just overthinking your new gun purchase
>>
>>34814581
>>34814591
Yeah that seems to be what is causing it. I held the hammer all the way back and the "wall" dissapeared.

>new gun purchase

Nope. Bought this thing back in November. Was my only gun for a while. Not technically my first gun because I had a Ruger American when I lived in Seattle, but I sold that before I moved here, so it's kind of my first gun. I just haven't shot it in a while and got really used to the glock, so having a hard wall in between the slide rack kind of freaked me out.
>>
File: Rubbing v not rubbing.jpg (417KB, 2098x1360px) Image search: [Google]
Rubbing v not rubbing.jpg
417KB, 2098x1360px
>>34814591
I have a Hi Power, MkIII epoxy finish just like yours, and the hammer does rub across the bottom of the slide, its why the plate holding the firing pin is radiused on the bottom so the hammer is not rubbing against a hard edge when it cycles.

Pic related, my Hi Power and how it rubs.

Youll also get some brass marks on the bottom of the slide after shooting, you can see in the pic kind of.
>>
>>34814701
>Yeah that seems to be what is causing it. I held the hammer all the way back and the "wall" dissapeared.
All hammer-fired pistols work like this.
>>
>>34814701
Your guns fine, stop being autistic and shoot it more.
>>
File: rObn4vb.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
rObn4vb.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Unrelated but did the monkeys at Mach1 fuck up your import stamp too? Heres mine, I shouldnt complain for 400, but i had to take a file to it so it wouldnt catch my fingers.
>>
>>34814840
yeah mine looks pretty wonky, but I don't really care. It's not any worse than the scratches put on it by some jew's holster. At the end of the day it looked a lot better than it did in the picture, so I'm fine with it.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.