[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Pic related is around $55 bucks as opposed to a name brand that's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 3

File: AR_15_A3_LWFOR_UM.jpg (180KB, 2000x1200px) Image search: [Google]
AR_15_A3_LWFOR_UM.jpg
180KB, 2000x1200px
Pic related is around $55 bucks as opposed to a name brand that's around$250.

Is there really a difference in build quality or something that justifies that price?
>>
Very good quality. I'd stay away from the ones with the trigger guard milled, have one and don't like it. Overall for the price, this is an excellent buy
>>
>>34799210
No Anderson lowers are the same as any other lower. All lowers come from like the same 6 factories. Anyone who tells you a "name brand" lower is better is a shill
>>
>>34799210
CMMG, Spikes, Stag lower that don't have fucky out of spec holes for the pistol grip are NOT $250. Fuck Anderson

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2015/08/28/anderson-ar-15-lowers-no-longer-mil-spec/
>>
>>34799236
How are they built any better? Dont 6 places make all lowers?
>>
>>34799253
Appreciate the info. I thought /k/ drooled all over these lowers.
>>
>>34799276
I'd like source on that. Since when are firearms like car batteries?
>>
>>34799298
>Since when are firearms like car batteries?
Manufacturers in general absolutely LOVE subcontracting for anything they can get away with not making themselves. Way cheaper than buying your own equipment, hiring and trainting employees to use it, not to mention the extra space it takes up.

But that comes with potential slips in quality because the makers aren't necessarily in charge of tolerances, and you're at the mercy of THEIR QA guys, who often don't give a shit because they're underpaid and bored out of their mind temps.
>>
>>34799298
LMT = LMT, Lauer(old), DS Arms, PWA, Eagle, Knight's Armament, Barrett, Bushmaster (?)

CMT = Stag, RRA, High Standard, Noveske (old), Century (current), Global Tactical, CLE, S&W, MGI (1st batch), Wilson Tactical, (some?) Colt, Ratworx

LAR = Grizzly, Bushmaster (L Prefix), Ameetech, (?)DPMS, CMMG, Double Star, Fulton, Spike's Tactical, Noveske (new)

MMS = Mega, Gunsmoke, Dalphon, POF (forged), Alexander Arms, Stinger, Spike's Tactical(old)

JVP = Double Star, LRB

Olympic (DEAD) = Olypmic, SGW, Tromix, Palmetto, Dalphon, Frankford, (old) Century

Superior = Superior Arms, Lauer (current)
Grenadier Precision

Sabre Defence (DEAD)
>>
>>34799210
If want you want is a working, forged, mil-spec, low-cost, lower, the Anderson MFG are fine. They go on sale for $35 if you shop the right sites. I significantly doubt you're looking at some other rollmark's forged basic bitch lowers for $250. That tends to be the upper middle band for machined billet.
>>
>>34799210

Used them for plenty of my builds, never had a issue with them.
>>
>>34799288
/k/ drools over anything that's cheap and functions.
>>
>>34799210

You can find Aero uppers and lowers for that much from mom & pop online shops trying to move their inventory. I got my receiver set for $100.
>>
>>34799568
There's literally nothing wrong with that.

That's why all of my cars have been old model Ford Tauruses
>>
>>34799568
*Except for /arg/, who drools over anything that's expensive/on the current SOPMOD list.
>>
>2017
>not buying 80%'s
>ishygddt
>>
>>34799276
A few forges in the US make all the unfinished forgings on the market. A larger number of machine shops machine the lower, to include roll marks and engravings. An even more numerous third party sells those finished lowers to you.

Spikes, BCM, Aero, and Anderson would be examples of those third parties. Most companies selling lowers do no actual machining at all. They buy in lots and have the forgings finished to a certain degree of accuracy to specs they provide, and price their lowers accordingly when they sell to the public.

Anderson buys in huge lots of loose adherence to spec. For example a year ago they had a batch of lowers that wouldn't accept a standard pistol grip bolt, and people had to go to hardware stores and swap out the mil spec threaded bolt for a nearest size metric equivalent, which would work.
>>
>>34799621
You obviously haven't been to /arg/ within the last year, they shit on RIS II rails
>>
>>34799253
Nigger That's been corrected
>>
>>34799210
Just buy a pistol from PSA and they'll use like five of them instead of packing peanuts when they ship your order.
>>
>>34799390
Stag was started by the son of CMT.
>>
Pretty convenient time for me to happen upon this, I'm thinking of building an AR and was looking at a Spike's Tactical lower, are those any good?
>>
>>34799253
>fucky out of spec holes for the pistol grip
Wow, a shorter screw that just happens to be widely available. What a travesty!

BCM pistol grips come with a short screw already, so no fucks were given.
>>
>>34799210
I got one spring of 2016, got a PSA lower build kit and either the lower was out of spec, or the PSA hammer pin was too small. My hammer pin walks out after 3-4 mags of quick shooting. I temporarily fixed it with electric tape but it's been a persistent problem, gonna order anti-walk pins soon
>>
>>34799390
>Bushmaster
>LMT
jej
captcha: CALLE SOLD
>>
>>34799657
why would anyone do this 100% are dirt cheap
>>
I have one for my pistol and I'm looking for a new one. Shit quality, literally have to slam it together and use a mallet to get the take down pins through
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>34799210
I have one, used it for my first build (pic related) .I'll give it to you straight.

It's cheap because the specs are kinda loose. The fit on my PSA upper has a good bit of wobble. I also had a PSA LPK in there, and after one mag my trigger pins were walking out fast. I double checked and my pins WERE installed correctly, so I think the holes are slightly bigger than they should be. I just installed these KNS anti-roll pins, so we'll see if they solve the problem. But I'm thinking I should have spent a bit more for an Aero Precision or PSA blem lower, especially having spent $30 on these anti roll pins.
>>
>>34805347
Spike's is mondo overpriced, but Anderson is shitty.

Go for an Aero lower, it's the best bang for your buck.
>>
>>34805893
It's the lower, not the pins. When I was installing my Anti-Roll pins the fuckers were slipping and sliding out easily before I got the connectors screwed on. I think this solves it though.
>>
>>34800202
It should never have been an issue in the first place. It's a salient example of the potential liabilities you're exposing yourself to with low QC budget brands.
>>
Any standard forged AL lower is the same except for roll mark.

I've built off blem Andurrson to KAC with no difference. It's just a cage for the FCG, and it's why you should just buy a few for the dark days.
>>
>>34805347

like >>34808046 says they're pretty pricey when you can get something just as good for cheaper. although I know spikes has a bunch of differently themed lowers like the pirate one so if that's worth the premium to you then go for it.
>>
>>34799210
In general a lower is a lower. There are a few brands that have issues with out of spec holes, but they are usually small no-name brands.
The only lower brand that I have encountered that you should avoid is core15. The finish was way to thin and the holes are in wrong places or too small.
>>
>>34799390
so, uh, who makes Anderson's?
>>
>>34799249
>>34799276
the blanks all come from the same places but how they are machined is up to the shop that does it.

>>34799288
they did until dozens of barely functional ones showed up.
lowers machined by AP is as low as i would go quality wise personally but it's your money.

that said, a lower has to be really out of spec to cause problems.
>>
>>34810494
if he just copy pasted the list from arfcom it's fuck all old.
>>
>>34799210
It's mostly fine. The pins kept walking out so i had to upgrade to anti-walk pins. Also with the lower kit it had a problem not resetting after each trigger pull
>>
>>34810494
Anderson makes theirs in-house. That's why its cheap.
>>
>>34810494
Anderson mills their own lowers and uppers. The problem with this >>34799390 list is that would only reflect a specific moment in time and does not take into account specific corporate strategy. Some companies that sell branded rifles or components that do not manufacture in house can have either a long term partnership, buy in lots from single or multiple manufacturers, or both. Lowers with the same specifications and features are going to be purchased based on the ability to meet demand with in a specific time and lowest price. This means that any brand can be buying from multiple suppliers at once and these suppliers are subject to change over time. This relationship between suppliers and firms has a direct impact on their ability to achieve competitive advantage. Neither supplier (receiver manufacturer) or rifle brand are going to disclose their relationship. In order for someone to compile this list are for it to be accurate they would need to know a lot of people willing to disclose sensitive company information and it would need to be constantly updated.

All that being said basic lowers are essentially a generic part. Buying a specific brand that does not mill their own lowers in house means it could come from many different sources (even Anderson).
>>
File: aero precision lower.jpg (58KB, 1000x630px) Image search: [Google]
aero precision lower.jpg
58KB, 1000x630px
I bought an Anderson Lower.

I've bought a few lowers.

Rock River Arms was my favorite because the receiver was intentionally built narrower than spec so that you had to tap the upper in with a mallet the first time. After that it was a super tight and good fit forever.

I've also bought an Anderson Lower, paired with a cheap upper. That gun had terrible rattle. I slipped a black rubber o-ring around the forward post of the upper receiver. This 10 cent repair removed the rattle but it always bothered me. An Anderson lower may be out of spec (so too the upper) and your gun will have a lot of rattle between the halves. I would not buy another Anderson lower for this reason solely.

Ideally you would want mil-spec upper and lower. If you have perfectly spec'd upper and lower, they should not rattle.

However, because I do not trust manufacturers. The next stripped lower I buy will be....
>AERO PRECISION
Picture is related, that adjustment screw assures no rattle without the use of an o-ring or shim.
At the end of the day, rattle between upper and lower is the only distinguishable difference between your choices... other than roll mark vanity.
>>
>>34799210
>>34799210
>Is there really a difference in build quality or something that justifies that price?

It depends on how much you value your money vs the extra features. Basically, they are all the same. Some higher end models have ambidextrous bolt release, bolt catch and/or mag release as well as more flared magwells and aesthetic improvements depending on who you ask. Then there are really weird ones with built in stock setups or modular magwells, but that's a different topic. I have plain Jane units as well as a few POF Gen 4 lowers and I do prefer the POF features but plain lowers are fine.
>>
>>34809075
>there should be no place for fucking up even the smallest of issues
>even when you fix the issue and offer fixes free of charge you should be shunned for the rest of your days
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.