[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why did a slide become a standard on handguns? Luger and Mauser

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

Why did a slide become a standard on handguns? Luger and Mauser don't have a slide. I am not an expert on this, but looking at the results of the trials that 1911 won back then in 1900s, does it have something to do with reliability?
>>
Easier to have one big moving part that a lot of little ones
>>
Browning's recoil-operation was simpler and worked better than the other attempts at making a semiauto handgun, so it stuck.
>>
File: 710bd529e7379acf17f1ce36ae9cd9ce.jpg (256KB, 1301x1000px) Image search: [Google]
710bd529e7379acf17f1ce36ae9cd9ce.jpg
256KB, 1301x1000px
>>34798065
Bumping with Theodore Roosevelt's own FN 1900, first production pistol with a slide.
>>
>>34798065
Because John Moses Browning (pbuh) is a minor god to firearms development.
>>
>>34798086
Ehhh mediocre damascening at best.
>>
>>34798147
Fits his personality, direct and simple but deep and solid, I can guarantee you that gold wire is at least as deep as it is thick.

Don't care core the scroll work though
>>
>>34798106
>John Moses Browning
>a minor god

literally father, son and holy spirit, all wrapped up into a middle aged white guy with a stash
>>
>>34798147
>only exposure to damascening is Ian's video
The point of this damascene work is to contrast with the engraving. Not every damscened gun has to some gaudy pure gold thing like Ian thinks it does. He really just needs to stick to historical guns and leave decorated guns to somebody else, because he obviously has no interest in them.
>>
>>34798210
He doesn't mean it from a artistic viewpoint, he means it from a purely craftsmanship viewpoint, it's like a watch that has like 30 complications, of course it looks like fucking crap but it doesn't change a massive amount of time and work went into it
>>
>>34798210
>i jump to conclusions
oh boy I want summer to end
>>
>>34798147

Is that really damascened? Looks more like traditional inlay to me
>>
>>34798065

I think mainly due to Browning's operating mechanism becoming widely used and mimicked.

It worked, and worked well. So, you get a lot of other designs taking elements from it, and after a while that becomes the standard for "how a pistol should look". At which point the market and people's perception take over.

It could have gone other ways, but the Browning's success made it the standard.
>>
>>34798065
The "slide" is actually the bolt. By having it telescope over the barrel and lock in the front, you get the benefit of a lot of mass to slow down the rearward motion of the bolt for safe operation (especially of blowback designs) without adding unnecessary length like is necessary with rear locking designs.

The rear locking P08 Luger, for example, is half an inch longer than the 1911 despite having a 1 inch shorter barrel.

Most people associate the term "telescoping bolt" with the Uzi, but Browning's original 1897 patent refers to the slide as such.
>>
File: download.gif (347KB, 440x299px) Image search: [Google]
download.gif
347KB, 440x299px
Here you go op
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.