[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tell me /k/, why do people get more than a gun or two? When

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 9

File: thinking.png (146KB, 483x350px) Image search: [Google]
thinking.png
146KB, 483x350px
Tell me /k/, why do people get more than a gun or two?

When it comes to home defense, I honestly think that a pistol is enough, maybe a shotgun if you have space for it and aren't that good of a shot. I guess you can also excuse yourself to own a rifle as well if you regularly hunt during hunting season, assuming you have the gear and the license to do so.

Other than that, why are there people who get 20 guns and regularly carry it on them the whole time? We're not living in a dystopia, at least not yet.
>>
When the bombs fall and I grow 20 more arms we will see who is laughing.
>>
Why do women have 20 pairs of shoes? No one gun is suitable for every situation.
>>
>>34794228
Dude, what kind of fucked up place do you live in to ignite your urge of owning every type of firearm there is? Are you in Afghanistan or some shit?
>>
>>34794217
There are many reasons but it all boils down to:
- they like guns
- they have the resources for additional guns

While I can't rationalize owning a lot of guns (we're talking 8+), its not because of a philosophical or reason, its simply because of money.

In a perfect world I'd own one gun for each use case, perhaps a couple in different calibers.
>>
>>34794232
>Are you in Afghanistan or some shit?

Worse, California. At least if I was in Afghanistan my AK would have a standard capacity magazine.
>>
File: 1480827316105.jpg (407KB, 746x982px) Image search: [Google]
1480827316105.jpg
407KB, 746x982px
>>34794253
>tfw Arab Muslim dictatorships are more free than certain US States
Masshole here. I need a license to even rent a 10 round .22 at a fucking range, but kebabs get fucking MG34s and shit.
>>
>>34794253
Your AK is most likely semi-auto, so I don't think it's too much of a problem.
>>
>>34794217
Because I like shooting and firearms. Different guns work differently, shoot differently, are made differently and going beyond needing different firearms for different disciplines, it's fun to shoot different kinds of guns.
>>
Three reasons
-it's fun
-they're trying to find the best gun for their purpose
-it's fun
>>
File: 2016-11-15_15.49.33.jpg (2MB, 2459x2033px) Image search: [Google]
2016-11-15_15.49.33.jpg
2MB, 2459x2033px
>>34794217
Shall not be........
>>
>>34794614
Then rent them instead of buying them? Seems like a waste of money, especially considering how expensive gun collecting since it's considered a "hobby" by some people.
>>
>>34794242
I can easily without even going into self-defence and such.

1. Beat up SXS or O/U shotgun for rough shooting, pest control, lending to a friend etc.
2. O/U Shotgun for grousing, clays.
3. Pump action for Practical Shotgun
4. Semi-automatic for Open Class Practical Shotgun.
5. Bolt Action .22lr for 25 yard target
6. Semi-automatic .22lr for minirifle, plinking
7. Another .22lr for pest control
8. Centrefire Boltaction for small game.

There, that's eight and we haven't even scratched the surface.
>>
>>34794604
That's like saying you just have a burger and not a steak. Nigga I know that, doesn't mean I don't still want some kind of potatoes on the side.
>>
>>34794627
>Renting firearms

Only suitable for if you're just starting out or want to test a gun before purchase.
>>
>>34794217
Are you fucking retarded?

Pistol for CC
Rifle for target shooting/hunting at distance
.22lr rifle for cheap rifle practice
.22lr pistol for cheap pistol practice
Shotgun for clay shooting/hunting

That's five right there, just to cover the basics. Add fun and freedom in as answers then the limit is just what you can afford. If you're happy with only owning a couple guns good for you, but why the fuck do you care what others do?
>>
>>34794217
Because I fucking like them you flaming Califaggot
>>
>>34794935
I live nowhere near Cali, insecure assmunch.

>>34794925
Don't be such a faggot about it.

Why two pistols? One is surely enough as they're compact and easy to clean and maintain, you're not going on a war or fight other gun nuts on things you mildly disagree on.

People buy guns to protect themselves and shoot some targets at a range to pass time, right? Why get more than a handful of guns if all they'll do is sit around looking pretty? A pistol and a shotgun is plenty, a hunting rifle is a decent addition, but anything above of that is nothing but a waste of space and money.
>>
>>34794957
Why do people collect shit?
>>
>hurr why do people have more than [completely arbitrary number] of guns? [completely arbytrary number] of guns is enough!
because they fucking can, you piece of shit
it's because of big brother-loving fuckheads like you that we have a limit of how many guns we can own in my country
>>
>>34794957
>Why get more than two pistols

Because pistols are designed for different things, work differently, have different mechanisms, are chambered in different calibres that shoot differently, cost different amounts of money and are used in different competitions or have different purposes.

What if you like shooting both revolvers AND automatics? What if you like blackpowder shooting? What if you do multiple disciplines, like target pistol and two gun? What if you want a CC gun but also want to go plinking? What if you want to collect pistols that you find interesting for mechanical, historical or pop culture reasons? What if you have a pistol that you love for whatever reason, but it's not a good pistol, perfect for a range toy, but wouldn't win a competition or be good for defence?

People who say 'You don't need more than one gun' have never shot firearms more than once. If they had, they'd realise how different they all feel and what they're used for.

In your world, pic related is the same...
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (92KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
92KB, 1280x720px
>>34794996
Is the same as this. When they're clearly not. You wouldn't even be allowed to bring this to certain competitions, just like the Walther wouldn't be able to be used in others. And that's just different shooting disciplines and sports, not just basic target and other uses for a handgun.
>>
>>34794217

>noguns telling us what we NEED

Not all guns are the same, they fill different niches. There is no "hunting caliber" theres caliber suited to hunting different game. Im not going to hunt squirrel with a 300WM, that's for elk. I'm not going to hunt quail with a 10 gauge, that's for geese. I'm not going to carry a 44 mag, that's for defense against big predators in nature. There's a lot more examples just with hunting but for carry I'm not taking my race gun on me, I'm taking a compact.

>>34794232

You don't have to buy just what you need, some people like to collect things. They don't have to want to use it and the thought of using one to kill someone may never cross their mind when they purchase it. Have you never had a collection?

OP why do you think people should be limited to only a few? We aren't any more dangerous owning more.
>>
>>34794217
Ill take this seriously for a minute. You only "need" 3 guns. A rifle a shotgun and a pistol. Me...i just like guns.
I started collecting ww1 and ww2 guns for honestly just collecting cool things and shot them. Got into slav shit when it was cheap because it was fun and cheap. Built ars for a gunshop for a bit so i built some for me too. Bought other shit along the way. I have guns for hunting, fun shooting, competition shooting, protection, general collecting. I have 52ish guns and have slowed down but there is why
>>
>>34794217
I really don't get "serious" firearms enthusiasts
is it even a hobby anymore?
They kind of always come off as no fun alowed tryhards
>>
Get fucked commie.
>>
>>34794232
i need 20 guns to piss liberal fuckwits like you off
>>
>>34794232
Cause I have a job and can afford nice things. Fuck off faggot
>>
>>34795142
>wasting hundreds of dollars out of spite just to mildly annoy someone of a different belief than yours
You're sad.

>>34795012
>OP why do you think people should be limited to only a few?
I didn't say people SHOULD get more than a handful of guns, I'm asking why people get more guns than they need.

Vintage guns like a late 19th-century revolver used by the US army at the time or a Mauser? Sure, they hold as much value as vintage cars and paintings, so I don't see the harm in that as classic guns are beautiful. However, getting multiple AR-15 clones? What's the point if one of them gets the job done whenever you go to the range?

As for the game thing, yeah, that's why I'm not iffy about hunting rifles or shotguns with different types of shots like duck or buck or even slugs. Thing is, all you need is one rifle/shotgun and different types of calibers that fit the gun for your hunting, that's pretty much fine and good enough.

>>34795177
Oh wowe, a job? Must've been hard to come by since you felt the need to mention you have one!
>>
>>34795193
>I didn't say people SHOULDN'T** get more than a handful of guns
>>
>>34794217
SHALL
>>
>>34795193
>I'm asking why people get more guns than they need
mainly 3 reasons:
>because they want them
>because they can
>because fuck you
now, what part of SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED do you find hard to understand?
>>
>>34794627

Problem with that is you're not going to save money that way if you shoot more than once a blue moon. That is if, IF, you find a place to rent a firearm. The closest place that I can rent a rifle is 3 hours away from me. Plus, why do people collect cars like Jay Leno or any of those people cars and coffeee? Considering how expensive car collecting since it's considered a "hobby" by some people.
>>
>>34795193
>I'm asking why people get more guns than they need.
why do people have more children than they need
why do people own more cars than they need
why do people eat more food than they need
why do people keep more money than they need
these are complex questions, and you can't oversimplify them to the level that you are trying to
>>
>>34795209
>question was about why people get more guns than they need
>BIG GUBERENMENT IS COMING AFTER MUH GUNS REEEEEEEEE
Fucking chill about it, autismo.

>>34795221
Jay Leno's a millionaire, so that's excusable I guess. As for the cars and coffee people, don't most of them have one daily driver car and one weekend car? A lot of the people that participate in C&C are millionaires or people with six-figures anyhow.

Hell, some people who go to those meets tend to have things as simple as a Miata or a '96 Mustang, so it isn't far-fetched to see a household with two regular cars and one enthusiast car.
>>
>>34795193
Because once again, you can build different AR15s to do different things. Different calibres, different barrel lengths, different barrel twists, etc all change how the rifle shoots. In addition, you may want to have several for collecting, novelty, or for dedicated purposes. You may want an AR15 race gun for practical shooting, an SBR in 9mm for a truck gun, a M16 clone, one in .22lr for training, plinking, etc. The AR15 is a very versatile platform and design and is useful for all manner of purposes. Let's go through another list of someone who I know personally who has four AR15s.

1. A .22lr AR15 for minirifle, target and small game
2. .223 AR15 for foxes and similar sized pest control with a dedicated night/lamping set up.
3. Another .223 AR15 for CSR matches
4. 9mm AR15 for Gallery Rifle.

I really do wish that people such as yourself would learn about firearms.
>>
>>34795257
For someone who asked a question, you don't seem to be listening to the answers.

>>34794996
>>34795000
>>34795293
>>
>>34795305
Except that I did read them and I was about to comment on the latest one you linked.
>>
>>34794232
>STOP LIKING WHAT I DONT LIKE

go back to wherever you came from
>>
>>34795293
Thanks for your comments, I understand it a bit more now. Basically, different guns for different types of sports that rely on reflexes and accuracy.

I did know about CSR and race guns, and even though I knew that the AR-15 is a very customizable gun, I didn't know it was flexible enough to be a jack-of-all-trades gun.
>>
>>34795257
where exactly did I mention the government, though?
>>question about people getting more guns than they need
>hurr why do people buy more than [completely arbitrary number] of guns that I say is enough?
>what are you saying, "why not?"
hang yourself
>>
>>34794996
>mechanical, historical or pop culture reasons
This.
>not appreciating the varied mechanical elegance of dropping barrel, locking block, blowback and gas delay actions
>not recreating historical arsenals and honoring ancestral heirlooms
>not buying 2 berettas because john woo
>>
File: 1115Lee_Enfield_rifles_x_5.jpg (90KB, 599x503px) Image search: [Google]
1115Lee_Enfield_rifles_x_5.jpg
90KB, 599x503px
>>34795362
And this isn't even going into enthusiast or collector reasons, which are just as valid for firearms as they are for any other.

For example, someone collecting each model of the Lee Enfield, from the Lee Metfords to the Enforcer. An expensive endeavor, but a worthy one.

Note that this picture isn't even complete as it's missing a Rifle no.4 plus the Naval marks, and this isn't even going into different factories, or even shoot-ability.
>>
Every gun, a purpose-

Pistol= Random Muggers
Shotgun= Home invaders
AR-15= Big gubment
SKS= giving the chinese a taste of their own medicine if they invade
Pistol AR-15- Lulz and range fun
Shotgun with 24inch barrel= Skeet
22 lR= to train the kids
>>
>>34795383
Also try getting a Number 8. There's a few out there in private hands, but good luck getting them.
>>
>>34794232
>Dude, what kind of fucked up place do you live in to ignite your urge of owning every type of firearm there is? Are you in Afghanistan or some shit?
>implying you could indulge in such a hobby in a 3rd world shithole

Literally the result of peak freedom/income.

>Tell me /k/, why do people get more than a gun or two?
Because fuck you, that's why. I dont need a dozen wrist watches either.
>>
>>34795393
This. If you were actually living in a combat zone, you'd only want maybe three guns?

>Concealable pistol
>Service Pistol
>Rifle.

The rest of the money would go on surviving and trying to gtfo.
>>
>>34795193

Same anon, I'll stay nice because I think you're genuinely curious. The way you word your questions is what is frustrating people because it's not right for what you're trying to ask.

You should have asked why people buy multiple of the same model guns that fit the same niche with no historical/rarity value. I'm with you there, I have a friend with 5 M1911s with nothing special about them and I think he's retarded and wasting money. The AR is a little more open, if someone likes the design it might make sense to them to have a longer version with a long range optic for hunting, a shorter without magnification for a vehicle gun, a midsize with a midrange optic for a do it all gun, and a 300bo for suppressed use. I have another friend who works on a fuck-huge dairy farm who has the first 3 and they all get practical use but mostly the small one because it fits very well on his quad and he jumps a lot of coyote at night. There are anons here who have multiple almost identical ARs with red dots in the same price range that Im with you again on and think theyre retarded. I don't think having a M16 clone and an AKM is a waste though, they're different enough to be fun.

>Thing is, all you need is one rifle/shotgun and different types of calibers that fit the gun for your hunting, that's pretty much fine and good enough

I'm going to pretend like I know that you know that most rifle's caliber is not something that's easily changed without a gunsmith. It looks like you hinted at different bullet types too and you're right, I have a shorter 300WM without optic sighted in for lower BC rounds that push through brush more accurately for dense woods use and another, heavier, custom built for accuracy 300WM that's magnified for taking elk at long range like in Idaho.
>>
>>34795293
>M4 tacticool clone for basic HD/SHTF
>midlength piston heavy barrel for suppressing fire
>AR pistol for close quarters & truck gun
>M16A1 clone for the rice fields, motherfucker
>polymer 22LR from milled 80% because experimentation
>.308 for target shooting
>>
>>34795362

Come back any time you have a question, even if noguns ask dumb questions some of us can be helpful if you're humble. AR15 and AR10 (identical but bigger and has larger magazine well for making use of larger rounds) are definitely a jack of all trades gun, you can make the series fill just about any damned role you want good enough for most uses.
>>
>>34795430
>The way you word your questions is what is frustrating people because it's not right for what you're trying to ask.
Yeah, sorry about that. Don't know what's wrong with me as I don't usually make this mistake.

>>34795464
A'ight man, thanks for your kindness.
>>
File: LQB.jpg (16KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
LQB.jpg
16KB, 600x600px
Why are we entertaining this discussion?
>>
>>34795315
But you had the ability to type this out before finishing your reply?

Anywho, anon, you're not getting it. People collect guns the same way people collect anything. They'll sink all their disposable income into when they can.
Just because you can't understand why they happen to choose that hobby, doesn't mean it's not valid.
If anon A likes hobby 1, but anon B like hobby 2, does that make 1 better than 2?
Or A better than B?
>no, they're equally valid.
And that anon, is why people have more than a few guns. Not to mention different sporting purposes, hunting applications, and curio/relic pieces, just to name a few.

There's a lot more to guns than what you're looking at anon. Open your eyes and ears. Lurk moar
>>
>>34794217
because shooting guns is fun, shooting every gun ever is even more fun

more guns = more funs
>>
File: 1466662125496.gif (44KB, 827x628px) Image search: [Google]
1466662125496.gif
44KB, 827x628px
>>34795615
Also, anon, this will help break it down.
>>
>>34794636
>half of them are competition
>the other half are the exact same .22 bolter
k.
>>
>>34795535
Because /k/ usually entertains weird discussions anyways, and at least one anon is/was genuinely curious.

Don't know if he's the OP or if he turned a bait thread into one of actual questions.
>>
>>34794217
Because people fucking like things, OP.
>>
>>34795666

Threads over but it's really interesting how people fill their collections with what they find are worthy niches. I only need one 22 bolt gun for what I do as well Satan but that anon finds the need to fill the roles of a cheap probably single barrel loaner shotgun, an expensive finely made over under for competitive skeet shooting, a pump action shotgun for a nicer personal beater shotgun that can hold the 3 shell hunting limit, an expensive automatic he doesnt want damaged for another competition, a probably fragile competition 25 yard 22lr gun, a tougher bolt 22lr with optic for hunting very small game, an automatic 22lr without optic for quick shooting and general range fun, and a centerfire rifle for bigger and further out small game than a 22lr will take.

I'm more into big game hunting so my line up looks a lot different yet I could name just as many I feel I need you might not have any use for and get by okay-ish with an old 30-06.
>>
>>34795193
>wasting hundreds of dollars
It's not a waste, you fucks are always crying and guns are fun
>>
>>34794217
>Owning firearms is just about home defense and hunting
Don't be a fudd. You have a point in that if you're owning guns purely for the utilitarian purpose of defending yourself there's little reason to have more than a good rifle and handgun or shotgun, there are tons of reasons to own more firearms.
>>
>>34794957
>Why get two pistols

I explained right in the fucking post dumbfuck.

Get a 9mm, .40 or 45 for carry, and spend a few hundred bucks to get a 22 pistol to practice with. If you practice at all it will pay for itself in ammo costs. Of course you still need to practice with your carry gun but being able to practice the fundamentals for 5cpr is great.

I don't know why I even bothered responding in the first place and here again, this whole thread is either bait or you're fucking retarded.

>you only need a few days worth of clothes, anything more than that and you're wasting money

That's your fucking argument. You'd have been Stalin's favorite for the head of production for fucking anything had you lived in the Soviet Union, you fucking sperg.
>>
>>34794232

I own them cause I can, don't need a reason, so fuck off nigger.
Thread posts: 63
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.