[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/k/ why does it seem that non combat "vets" drink the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 11

File: 12ykiu.jpg (48KB, 594x394px) Image search: [Google]
12ykiu.jpg
48KB, 594x394px
/k/ why does it seem that non combat "vets" drink the muh military kool aid more than the guys that have seen combat. Just had a non combat vet tell me for 20 mins how they are so much better and different than civvies because they were in the military.

What gives.
>>
>>34783019
They haven't seen combat.
>>
We live in an era where social media makes it easier to believe that everyone is a special snowflake. Makes it easier to boost ones ego and hide insecurities behind "an achievement".
>>
File: what am i doing here.jpg (69KB, 684x645px) Image search: [Google]
what am i doing here.jpg
69KB, 684x645px
>>34783019
>Just had a non combat vet tell me for 20 mins how they are so much better and different than civvies because they were in the military.
> Be me
> 15 years service
> 3 conflicts
> 3 separate roles
> 6 deployments
> other ranks and commissioned
> civilians talk so much shit about equipment and tactics
> X is better than X
> X doesn't work
> X needs upgrade
> X needs to be replaced by X
> never even used the damn things
> doesn't understand SOPs
> doesn't understand maintenance routines
> doesn't understand there are all sorts of minor features that go unreported or classified

I see all these training videos and see fatal flaws everywhere and civilians eat that shit up thinking its the right way, where in reality is the right way to get yourself killed.

Worst offenders
> slice the pie people
> AK fanboys who think that military contracted AKs are accurate
> AR fanboys who think military contracted ARs are reliable
> Anyone who believes the russians will truly complete on a contract and new gear being anything other than special or limited issue
> Anyone who thinks the F22 has reasonable maintenance for flight hours.
> Anyone who believes russian and chinese propaganda in general
> Anyone who underestimates french and british, training and professionalism.
> Anyone who believes the EuDA does anything other than organise social events that no one turns up to.
>>
>>34783019
Well turns out fighting for bunch of money and possibly dying is not fun.
Makes you wonder huh
>>
Because literally any retard can join the army and drive a logistics truck and then receive praise from society for all of their "sacrifice"

For many this is the most they will ever achieve in life.
>>
>>34783137
nice blog
>>
>>34783137
man, I can taste the butt-hurt from here.
>>
>>34783137
Are you saying milspec ARs are accurate?
>>
Im a muhreen and I just hate everyone
>>
>>34783019
I'm a non combat army vet and I didn't pull this shit. I did think it did a lot of good for me in terms of learning to push myself and having self discipline. But off duty, I distanced myself as much as possible from military life. No uniforms unless required, no ARMY STRONG bullshit apparel, I didn't even ask for military discounts (I did use it if I happened to know about it, or they advertised it though). I'd politely dismiss anybody trying to come up and thank me for my service. Military isn't hard as a POG, I didn't deserve shit just because I didn't want to work at a walmart after HS.
>>
>>34783276
i joined because i was tired of working at wal mart after high school and didnt want to get shot again in the parking lot without being allowed to shoot back
>>
because anyone who's actually been in a line unit knows the military is just daycare for adult men, full of shitty gay bullshit and 90% of the people in it are literally borderline retarded
>>
>>34783019
Kinda like how more people claim membership in vietnam veteran groups than actually fought in vietnam?
>>
>>34783683
Like people going to the va hospital and collecting their benefits because they changed tires for the government for a few years and now their brain is just better than civvies man.
>>
>>34783019
Maybe it's an ego thing, something they do to prop themselves up.
I was Air Force stealth coatings. Stuck in bumfuck nowhere Missouri for three years. My one "deployment" was 4 months in Guam (which is just shitty discount Hawaii).
I feel like I didn't do anything, like I'm not "legit" because I never saw combat. I doubt I'm the only one who feels this way, and while some just stay humble I think others play themselves up so they don't feel like shit.

>>34783137
The "French surrender" meme needs to fucking die. The French were sold out by their own military leader, who also happened to be a fascist sympathizer and was "conveniently" put in charge of Vichy France by the Nazis. Ignorant dumbfucks need to learn their history.
>>
>>34783759
Agreed.

The british "retreat" meme also needs to die. The entire flank collapsed.
>>
>>34783193
here's you answer
>>
>>34783759
You certainly aren't the only one that feels that way. Was a secret squirrel crytpo guy at Whiteman. "Deployed" to Guam and Vegas several times. Never saw combat so I don't talk about my military experience unless absolutely relevant to the conversation.
>>
>>34783137
Could you explain to me what's wrong with slicing the pie? As an intel POG that learned nothing combat related while I was in, it seems to make sense in my head.
>>
File: slicing the pie.jpg (22KB, 853x434px)
slicing the pie.jpg
22KB, 853x434px
>>34785312
Leaves you without cover.
>>
>>34785464
I was taught slicing the pie is about like of sight. You don't need to be up against a wall in order for it to provide you cover. And if you slice slow and methodically you can see someone without ever exposing that you're there at all
>>
>>34783286
>I didn't want to get shot

Ironically I didn't join the military out of fear of an injury and then got injured as a welder at 19. My friends were POGs and are physically fine but all have PTSD from doing tech support in an air conditioned room for "it was 10 hour days maaaannn" and getting yelled at by a superior who can't hit you.

>I've seen men hit men in the face with wrenches and I'm fine

The oil field is a fucked place
>>
>>34785464
Who the fuck taught you to slice the pie by staying up on a wall
They were wrong as hell senpai
t. 11b
>>
>>34785827
Doubt.
if you can see them they can see you. regardless slicing the pie means you can be outflanked and leaves you without cover if you get rushed which ragheads usually do

>>34785890
Please tell me they don't teach this
>>
File: 1488517300553.jpg (25KB, 641x530px) Image search: [Google]
1488517300553.jpg
25KB, 641x530px
>>34783019
I volunteered at a VA one time and the director over there told me with a straight face "uhhh yeah I love the military, wadn't for them we'd be speakin' german or vietnamese tuhday"
>>
File: 1502126796112.jpg (26KB, 853x434px) Image search: [Google]
1502126796112.jpg
26KB, 853x434px
>>34785464
>>
>>34786021
> there will always be two people
>>
>>34785464
Then what's the correct way
>>
>>34785464
Youd be in the same situation (no cover) against the guy on the right no matter which side of the hallway you were on.
>>
>tell people I'm going to comission in the military because they ask "what are you doing after college"?
>already getting thanked for my service
I haven't done anything yet!
>>
>>34786053
In the military? Yes. If you're alone clearing rooms as an infantry man you're dead already.
>>
>>34786053
If there's not at least 2 you should be turning around and leaving because clearing a building alone is the dumbest shit thing you could ever do.
>>
File: pie problem.jpg (41KB, 853x434px) Image search: [Google]
pie problem.jpg
41KB, 853x434px
>>34786089
Not him but here's my stab at it.

Tend to agree, Slicing the pie is only advantageous if you face the risk of being stabbed.

>>34786115
As per my attachment gun is facing forward with 90% concentration on front rather than 50/50

>>34786163
>>34786167
We did. Daily.
>>
>>34785464
What is this image supposed to convey?
>>
>>34786202
>We did. Daily.
I knew this response was coming. Everyone doubles down.
>>34786204
Retardation.
>>
>>34786242
We got a team of 4 guys, 2 guys pulling exterior security to ensure we don't get bumfucked, and 3rd guy on exit route.
>>
>>34785312
Its an airsoft tactic...
>>
>>34786304
No.
>>
>>34783688
I know someone like this

>Be during Vietnam war
>Gets drafted
>Is on the bus with other soldiers waiting to get shipped to Vietnam
>Ceasefire called while he's on the fucking bus
>Did basically nothing his whole stint in the military
>Goes to the VA hospital for everything, they recently cut out his prostate because cancer

I feel bad for the guy because he never did anything really worthwhile his whole life, his wife just steals all his money, and nobody likes him because he's annoying as fuck and grouchy and makes everyone feel like shit just being around him. He's also the slowest worker I've ever had the displeasure of working with, will literally fart in your face if you have to work with him doing plumbing or something, the days just drag on and you want to kill yourself. And whenever I hear a non-combat vet rant on about how great he is for joining the Military I just think of him.
>>
>>34786412
Yes, unless you're doing Company level patrols its fucking impossible in afghanistan.

You can tell you've never deployed...
>>
>>34786202
clearing empty buildings will always be safe anon
>>
>>34786449
We're talking about clearing buildings that have armed fighters in them. Not doing a cursory search through some retards house that you know doesn't have anyone dangerous in it.

You're doing a min platoon sized patrol anyways, there's literally no reason to not have a full team clearing houses except you knew there wouldn't be shit in there.
>>
File: 1726-3.jpg (23KB, 400x250px) Image search: [Google]
1726-3.jpg
23KB, 400x250px
>>34786202
>Trying to pass off your retarded cqc tactics while claiming you've solo cleared buildings daily.
>Then claims that during patrol only 4 men could possibly be spared for clearing buildings.

Please, enlighten us on which glorious armed service you served in.
>>
>>34783019
My buddy was a tank driver and he is the most chill dude on Earth when his PTSD isn't going nuts, another friend who is an office paper pushers is that kind of guy who will point out other servicemen and be like "oh he's not real, he's totally stealing valor, I bet he doesn't even know what MOS and all this other retarded military jargon is"

So I agree.
>>
Because it's all we have. And by "we" I mean people who have never been in combat situations. I don't talk about .mil shit because frankly I'm just doing a regular job that comes with some sweet discounts at stores and shit. People who live their life like that get to play dress up heros while never experiencing traumatic loss. It's dumb but I see how the POGs fall into that kind of shit. My greatest achievement as a Petty Officer is still the stupid blood mushrooms pasta I wrote here like a month or two ago. And now im sitting at home eating bugles and drinking pepsi after jerking off.
>>
>>34786490
>>34786509

No more than 4 men a building as anything more is unacceptable risk in the event of bait house.
It was an SOd for all ISAF forces beyond '07 after the afghans started loosing entire platoons to one bait house.

You also don't do one house ata time as it buys occupants in neighbouring compounds to hide whatever nasties they have.
>>
>>34786559
You know what though, I dont really see that shit from sailors. The sailors I've met just seem like regular joes working for the local union. Out of shape alcoholics, sure, but not trying to tell people they're hardened killers. I think the public image of Army and Muhreens help boost the egos of penicl pushers in those branches.
>>
>>34786595
Right so like I said you know there's a low chance of there being any armed fighters and are instead doing s cursory building search for contraband. That's entirely unrelated to your asinine claim that "slicing the pie" leaves you without cover when in a real fight you'd have at least a team sized element behind you covering down the hallway. Nigger.
>>
>>34786559
Navy and Airforce are all POG's though, and I dont mean that as an insult. It seems less sacrilegious to me for some reason if one of you tries to get some pussy in the bar making up shit.
>>
>>34786664
> Low chance
Any chance is a chance you idiot you don't take any chances or you die.

You treat every room as though it has a fighter in.

Please take your shitty $400 class taught by a civilian with no combat experience tactics elsewhere, You find me one official training manual from the past 5 years by a military that includes it
>>
>>34786735
>You treat every room as if it has a fighter in it
If you had done that you'd not have cleared buildings alone. Stop pretending nigger.
>>
>>34786702
It's hard to be a grunt when there aren't grunts in your service.

Although Marines could be considered grunts of the Navy. Just don't tell that to a Marine. They'll get upset.
>>
>>34786754
You misunderstand, if there's confirmed contact then you can stack up, but you still don't slice the pie.

Util contact is confirmed one person is all you can spare.
>>
>>34786649
That is exactly why I wanted to join the Navy (not that anon btw). I talked to people from various navies and seemed like the most "normal" people when working in the service and when they got out. They didn't have PTSD, they weren't jerkoffs about how much combat they saw, and they weren't hardasses who just had to get the EGA on every personal item they owned. They had pride in the Navy and in their service, don't get me wrong, but they were very normal about it and just told good sea stories.

Air Force guys seemed like decent fellows but weren't as gung ho especially if they weren't a pilot. Army guys were good bro types but combat guys never stopped talking about it. Marines were...well they were Marines. Like vegans, you'll never have to ask if they are one. They'll tell you.
>>
>>34786851
Sea stories are best stories.
>>
>>34786786
No I don't misunderstand. You explicitly said you cleared houses by yourself. Now you've changed that to something that makes sense. No you don't slice the pie, that wasn't my point of contention. >>34786021 is still generally the proper way to cut a corner.
>>
>>34786895
You still clear houses by yourself even if you have no contact.
>>
>>34783137
this
>>
>>34786879
True that. I used to work at a charity event every fall and there was an old British guy who also worked there who served in Her Majesty's Navy. He was a really great individual and loved to tell stories to pass the time when there was a lull.
>>
>>34786906

Next on /k/
>Fat Autist claims that stacking makes too big a target and isn't SOP
>>
>>34786977
You should never stack for more than 60 seconds. 15, if you're not using explosive entry.
>>
>>34786906
Just reread our reply chain ad infinitum. It'll just go in a circle from here.
>>
>>34786895
A house is clear even if you find it empty, you report back with room cleared.
>>
>>34787060
DUR DUR a Room isn't clear even if no contact DUR DUR
>>
>>34787064
>>34787080
>There's no difference between searching for weapons or other contraband and actually fighting room to room.
>>
>>34787101
Theres no difference in terminology between clearing with contact and clearing with no contact

Stop being an idiot
>>
>>34783019
Like this guy said
>>34783759

I've found its usually the person trying to justify their job/what they did by seeming more hardcore/intense than it actually is.

They also tend to not exactly "lie" about their service, but will specifically leave out details/facts or use titles that make them sound like they had a cooler job than they actually did.

Specific example:
>Guy in Molon Labia shirt and generic VETERAN hat in line at CVS
>Speaking to no one in general hoping someone will ask the question
>"Thats exactly the type of water we had in XXX"
>Don't make eye contact...
>Shit, the cashier bought it
>"Oh wow you're a vet? Thanks for your cervix!?!?"
>"Oh yeah I was Airforce Search and Rescue!"
>Now he peaked my interest, why would he say "search and rescue"
>After thirty seconds of conversation get to the point and he says he drove a recovery truck and had only deployed to Kosovo

Had a similar conversation with a random navy boat driver who was trying to make it sound like he was SWCC but he wasn't.

These are people who served completely honorably in their own right, they should just own it and not try and play it up, like dude if you were a mechanic that's awesome, be proud of that.
>>
The green berets that was on our compound taught us to pie, box method for halls, methodical pacing instead of just running 100% into rooms tunnel vision at a corner. They cleared thousands of rooms with no casualties that deployment, bagging tons of vips and spooky shit. It all seemed more natural, smarter, and flowed better.

That said, I've cleared a village with marines before, and while not methodical it was a blast. They just run around full retard flash banging everything with lots of gusto and somehow even more screaming than normal room clearing. Definitely not winning any hearts or minds - but it was a good experience.

As much as I enjoy 4chan banter and ms paint pictures, I'll continue to pie and teach it. Just my anecdotal evidence for conversation.
>>
>>34783019
The same reason cheaters accuse their partners of cheating - insecurity and jealousy.
>>
>>34787273
>These are people who served completely honorably in their own right, they should just own it and not try and play it up, like dude if you were a mechanic that's awesome, be proud of that.
You would be surprised how many people join the military out of ego.
>>
>>34787143
That's why I specifically differentiated between the 2. He/you could have walked into those rooms naked for all the danger you were in. It was a glorified building search and thats all.
>>
>>34786559
>blood mushrooms
That sounds familiar. Post?
>>
>>34785847
rob?
>>
File: viper and cobra.jpg (67KB, 500x500px)
viper and cobra.jpg
67KB, 500x500px
bootlickers, mallninjas, and fresh out of basic recruits all have this idea that it's the military's job to kill people, first and foremost

anyone who has ever done anything anywhere quickly realizes that this is not the case and that most of the work to be done is normal blue collar stuff, just in environments that happen to be a little more violent

like the mallninja itt, you can tell they're some suburban faggot who drives a Grand Cherokee full of gaudy arfcom stickers who probably goes around town CCing a pistol that has a red dot and gaudy flash hider on it. no one who's actually been to iraq or afghanistan is so obsessed with this tacticool shit, and would know better than to insist that it was a non-stop daily occurrence to clear buildings to "bag vips" like what the fuck nigger no one but the edgiest of edgelords talks like that

recruits are like this too, I had some fresh outta basic rookie try to pick me up for shit all throughout my course, and she'd always parrot shit like "you signed on the line! it was right there in the contract that [thing she's 'tisming out about]" and "your job is to kill people, you have to [thing she's 'tisming out about]!". tacticool rookies and bootlickers are fucking infuriating. you can also always tell them apart by how much shit they carry and what they carry. faggots using tantos as deck knives n' shit

>>34785312
it literally only refers to looking at corners while you go around them, and to take a wide curve instead of popping around it

it's pretty common sense, especially to anyone who's ever played an FPS, but mallninjas think it's some apex tier tactic that makes you totally impervious to being fired on and that there's no place for peeking ever

>>34786649
sailors are a mix of sea ninjas and legit actually just blue collar workers. an electrician on a boat is still an electrician, a comms guy on a boat is basically just a ham radio operator with a few made up codebooks, etc

>>34786851
navy people are not normal
>>
>>34786559
>Eating bugles and drinking Pepsi after jerking off
Truly the American Dream.
>>
File: lost hope.jpg (80KB, 766x960px) Image search: [Google]
lost hope.jpg
80KB, 766x960px
>>34783654
every job is like this, its just that the military is a nonprofit so they don't roll dice to fire people for downsizing and actually have manuals on how they want shit done
>>
>>34783267
this.
>>
>>34786304
>a fire team
>operating without the whole squad in immediate vicinity
>ever

Goddamn it, you made me reply.
Thread posts: 79
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.