[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there any point for the Tos-1? I think it's a redund

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 1

File: 00000007.jpg (707KB, 2858x1474px) Image search: [Google]
00000007.jpg
707KB, 2858x1474px
Is there any point for the Tos-1? I think it's a redundant system and should be left to the Katyushas instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=govStN7X6PI

You can see there that is has shit range and not that good in an open field.
>>
Is there even any point to using these things in any modern war?
>>
>>34781217
This has never made sense to me either. The Tos-1 is less accurate and has less range than the Katyushas, so why not make a Katyusha thermobaric missile?

My only explanation is its a political jobs program, ie paying a whole second group of people to make the Tos-1. Ie Tos-1 is Russian pork spending. What do you think?
>>
agreed. if i was making the decision for what was or was not on the military budget, i'd have TOS-1 off.
>>
Last I heard was because they're not artillery per se but part of the Chemical Brigade or flamethrowers. And they can run and gun with the tanks since it has a tank chassis unlike artillery that operates differently from tanks.
>>
>>34781217
>>34782135
>>34782198
>>34782235

Trolling samefag, or we get a surge of summer day/k/are.

TOS-1, is a FLAMETHROWER, not an artillery. That freaking thing launches the rocket, with a payload roughly equall to a full company of BM-13`s in terms of destructive power. That`s an awesome weapon if you need to be absolutely sure, that there is no live enemy left in the blast radius. Of course, if you don`t mind the collaterial damage. Anything better, have to be nuclear.
>>
>>34781217
Because it doesn't a different job?
>>
It's not a conventional rocket artillery system, it's more of a close support weapon that rides amongside actual MBTs with the ability to level an area on short notice. Calling it a flamethrower is a bit dishonest despite the translation considering it's FAE not an incendiary.
>>
>>34782198
>The Tos-1 is less accurate
It is more accurate than Grad . Rockets have extreme range dispersion at short ranges. So when Grad tries to shot at 3 kms range its CEP would be measured by hundred meters if not kilometers. Also TOS deliverers about twice as much warhead weight with a salvo 1800 kg vs 840.

Of course you can make special short range rocket fro Grad with larger warhead, but then you will run in the problem of wheeled non armored Grad launcher been poorly suited to operate to close to front line, bad off-road capabilities and protection. Russians have extreme disunification of MRLS but its logic makes some sense.

What NATO desperately lacks their own TOS type capability and they can easily obtain one by making short ranged 100kg warhead rocket for MRLS but NATO can't into firepower anymore.
>>
You see that fuckhuge fireball?

That's why.
>>
>>34783383
Looks small. Americans have bigger fireballs.
>>
>>34781217
This is the armament of the russian Chemical Corps. With the corresponding associated tasks.
>>
>>34783419
"No"

Russians have always made bigger bangs
>>
>>34783432
lol proofs
>>
>>34783490
Biggest conventional airdrop bomb
Biggest nuclear airdrop bomb
Biggest ICBM
Biggest MLRS
etc.
>>
>>34783530
Biggest federal collapse
>>
>>34783574
savage
>>
>>34783574
soon USA will beat this record
>>
>>34782701
>TOS-1, is a FLAMETHROWER, not an artillery.

No, you're just misunderstanding words. Perhaps willfully.

It's an MLRS that fires thermobaric rockets, not a "flamethrower".
>>
>>34784392
Russia classifies it as flamethrower.
>>
>>34784658
Because Russian is a stupid language.
>>
>>34784663
It throws fire shut the fuck up
>>
>>34783574
Soviets absolutely BTFO.
>>
>>34784392
TOS - Tяжeлaя Oгнeмeтнaя Cиcтeмa. Literally, "Heavy Flamethrower System". So, no one gives a fuck, how flame is delivered, so shut up.
>>
>>34785701
Tyazhelaya Ognemetnaya Systema. I don't see the word "flame" in there
>>
>>34785913
Oгнeмeтнaя

this translate to literally flame trowing

in before you start pretending to be russian and offer better translation, i am russian
>>
thought it was basically a grad on tracks on steroids built to be used in the artic where grads can't go
>>
>>34781217
>>34782135

"See those buildings/woods/caves/uneven ground? We think ATGMs might come out of them. Kill anyone who might be hiding there."

That's basically the purpose. Give a tank column a nasty and effective way to deal with enemy infantry in concealment or fortifications. From what I understand, the problem with using a Katyusha is that they're built on lighter, less armored vehicles, and aren't as survivable.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.