[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

When will the rigid airship finally reclaim it's rightful

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 12

File: Ridgid Airship.jpg (30KB, 600x386px) Image search: [Google]
Ridgid Airship.jpg
30KB, 600x386px
When will the rigid airship finally reclaim it's rightful place in military aeronautics?
>>
>>34777146
Uh wut?
>>
>>34777146
Why would they be brought back?
>>
>>34777146
When Putin decides to go full red alert
>>
>>34777146
Soon?
>>
>>34777146
US already uses airships to mount radars and electro-optical surveillance equipment on, to conduct long-term surveillance.
>>
>>34777146
>shoot it once
>oh_the_humanity
>>
>>34777146
they are called UFO's
>>
File: USS Akron & USS Macon.webm (2MB, 538x400px) Image search: [Google]
USS Akron & USS Macon.webm
2MB, 538x400px
As soon as they fix the Akron and Macon.
>>
File: ufo - arctic -1971.jpg (157KB, 1575x831px) Image search: [Google]
ufo - arctic -1971.jpg
157KB, 1575x831px
>>34777146
An enormous zeppelin was sighted on fire above the Arctic ocean back in the 70s.

Nazi space magic?
>>
>>34777146
As soon as the gubment approves my license to form a reserve on my private island for hunting man. The only way to get there is by dirigible.
>>
>>34780242
Probably mi6 disposing of the last vestiges of the Nazi high command using some fit suited dandy with a walther ppk.
>>
File: 103770567-Airlander_front.jpg (39KB, 500x376px) Image search: [Google]
103770567-Airlander_front.jpg
39KB, 500x376px
yo check out this blimp u can fuck
>>
>>34780242

I wish to know more, that sounds ominous as fuck.
>>
>>34779058
To invade the US
>>
File: uss_macon.jpg (23KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
uss_macon.jpg
23KB, 1280x720px
>>34777146
submersible dirigible!

they wont make a comeback until they can carry as much aircraft as a seagoing carrier
>>
File: 1429313979426.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1429313979426.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
>>34777146
not until we can master flight within the Grand Stream
>>
>>34780478
>2020
>visiting golden gate bridge
>watching the tide roll in
>KIROV REPORTING
>>
someday
>>
>>34779142
JLENS isn't rigid
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97OnTDaLqqk

What a coinkee-dink, I was just listening to this.

The TL;DR is because controlling one is like controlling a feather being blown about by the wind.

The ridiculous surface area / weight ratio makes it unmanageable.
>>
>>34777146

If I was crazy rich I would build a giant luxury airship with a glass bottom swimming pool.
>>
>>34779142
They use blimps and aerostats, not rigid airships
>>
>>34777146
Would blimps be affected by an EMP? Maybe modern ones, but what about wicked old ones? If they aren't, then we just have to wait for some cunts to send us back to the stone age.
>>
>>34777146

I think the technology is there to make an argument for it.

Unmanned technology helps because you don't need to waste precious payload on a cabin & life support, endurance is no longer limited by humans, and you can consider using hydrogen (which is lighter, cheaper, and can be generated in situ as required) since human safety isn't an issue. Modern aerospace composites have a far better strength/weight ratio than in the past, further increasing payload. Energy generation and storage have improved, much of the upper surfaces can be coated in PV cells to extend its endurance, propulsion can be by light electric motors while lightweight lithium based batteries can store energy until it is required. So many possibilities of payloads, such as long range AEW radar, communications relay for directional LPI datalinks, SIGINT antenna, and other EW.
>>
>>34780423
The express (U.K. Newspaper) has an article on it. look up Aereon26. That's what it "supposedly" is.

I'd rather it's nazi leaders trying to escape to the moon in a space zeppelin, only to be thwarted by an SAS team that parachuted onto the top and fought their way in, set times explosives and defeated a cyborg enhanced nazi officer.

That's something I would watch
>>
>>34781301
>Would blimps be affected by an EMP?
If they have electronics they would, you fucking walnut
>>
>>34781301
>send us back to the stone age
only till we built new ones, it's not like all our info would be gone.

>wicked
There's no helping you.
>>
>>34780621
But we can already do IMMELMANNS with our planes
>>
File: Helium-Chemical-Symbol.png (118KB, 486x425px) Image search: [Google]
Helium-Chemical-Symbol.png
118KB, 486x425px
>>34779150
What is helium you giant, cum-guzzling summerfaggot?
>>
File: IMG_4829.jpg (100KB, 1278x719px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4829.jpg
100KB, 1278x719px
Why are zeppelins always the go-to for "alternate reality/dimension" settings
>>
>>34783455
Because if the Hindenburg didn't happen they probably would have had more research put into them
>>
>>34777146
When they stop being massive, slow moving targets.
>>
>>34783485
Would be great fun to live in. Imagine tethering up and having dinner, shooting game and sleeping in the fucking sky.

That durr wouldn't know what the fuck hit it
>>
>>34777146
I think a blimp AWACS could be cool. With modern materials you could put all the radar equipment you could want with plenty of room for a CWIS to protect it from those chink anti-awac missiles
>>
File: What did you mean.jpg (259KB, 948x1284px) Image search: [Google]
What did you mean.jpg
259KB, 948x1284px
>>34777146
>>
>>34783455
I remember being shocked when I learned they actually existed.
>>
File: IMG_3627.jpg (455KB, 1288x885px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3627.jpg
455KB, 1288x885px
When we make them from giant air whales
>>
>>34783580
The film was done at Lakehurst NAS
>>
File: Soyuz_TMA-7_spacecraft2edit1.jpg (837KB, 2274x1506px) Image search: [Google]
Soyuz_TMA-7_spacecraft2edit1.jpg
837KB, 2274x1506px
We realized we can put them closer to space and they'll circle the globe all on their own. We just call them satellites now
>>
>>34781301
Most definitely, their like a giant antenna
>>
>>34783320
a serious non-steampunk answer? Holy fuck.

Ken Liu wrote a short story about them coming back because the US started taxing "carbon emissions" which it viable for transporting bulky payloads. You'd probably like it.
>>
The real issue with Lighter-Than-Air Craft is one that has nothing to do with hydrogen or whatever.

it's got to do entirely with landing and stationkeeping control.

To put it another way, Planes land on a runway, and helicopters land on a pad, they can do this without necessarily needing a ground crew on watch to call them in or to meet them. most of the radio-air-controllers/ground-controllers are there to try and prevent collisions or inform pilots when they're exceeding some limit.

Boats, even larger yachts or smaller cargo or fishing ships don't need a tugboat to help them into a harbor/port or to dock. Mostly tugboats and such are used to help steer or navigate through areas that have some risk of collision due to the large amount of sea-traffic.

Airships aren't like that, not until very recently anyway.

Airships require a ground crew to grab cables. Some of the biggest Airships (Hindenburg, USS Macon/Akron (two flying aircraft carriers with internal hangers) ) had ground crews/landing crews that were hundreds in number to try and hold the airships down so it could attach/detach from anchor safely.

and even anchors aren't necessarily all that good, you can find pictures of airships with tail in air and nose still at anchor.

so then you get into Storage, Big airships require very big hangers. (for ohiofags, I think there was some goodyear hangers in Akron, they might've been demolished though). these hangers need doors on either end,

Essentially I'm saying that airships have many issues that stem from the logistics of dealing with them (which is almost always a pain in the ass).

This pain in the ass problem is of course reduced if they're unmanned or "don't need to land"
>>
>>34783782
Can't be controlled, even amateurs know where every single one is and when.
>>
>>34784378
can't they be course corrected? so they don't just fall back to earth..not really steering, though....
>>
When Kaiser starts acting up again
>>
>tfw will never own and command one
>>
>>34783455
cause they are fuggin awesome
>>
>>34780391

T H I C C
>>
>>34783481

Hindenburg, R101, Macon, Akron, Dixmude, etc.
>>
>>34784094
I unironically looked into the idea of cargo airships a little back (because fuck trucks clogging up every single road I try and drive on) and unfortunately they just can't carry enough weight for their size/cost. An airship the size of the Hindenburg can only carry around 40 tonnes, which makes them less practical that a B-double truck.

Maybe one day we will develop some kind of stable, superlight lifting gas and all our dreams of private/military airship fleets can be fulfilled.
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.