[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How waterproof are the Army's boots? I was never in the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 6

File: rain.jpg (245KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
rain.jpg
245KB, 1024x576px
How waterproof are the Army's boots? I was never in the army, but I was in the Navy, and our boots were NOT waterproof. They got soaked just walking from one building to another in the rain, and that's saying something considering we spent almost all our time indoors. If we'd been soldiers instead of sailors, we'd have got trench foot for sure.
>>
>>34765602
They're water resistant
>>
>>34765653
Most people who spend considerable time in heavy rains will tell you that goretex and other "water resistant" stuff gets soaked through.
>>
>>34765720
Excactly, water resistant.
>>
How did soldiers in WW1 keep the trenches from filling up with water? Did they have to bail them out with buckets?
>>
File: Jackie-Chan-WTF.jpg (20KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
Jackie-Chan-WTF.jpg
20KB, 500x375px
>>34765720
i actually had to google this image just for you
>>
>>34765602
They're pretty good at being water resistant, but once your trousers start getting wet, it's game over. They starting seeping into your boots and they won't be coming out
>>
>>34765602
Worked in the danish army as a conscript. We could make our boots somewhat waterproof with a shitload of shoeshine on em. Like cake that shit on over the weekend and let it dry then polish it of. And then repeat until the boots fail after 3 months. They were for normal purposes waterproof unless you went to water deeper than the boot or stood in the water for more than some minutes.
>>
>>34765759
Boards were usually placed as an elevated walkway but trenches did fill with mud.
>>
>>34765759
>>34765772
If possible, they would dig drainage trenches down to permeable soil.
>>
>>34765772
I think the Germans were known for having the best made trenches.
>>34765768
Maybe that's why America only fights wars in desert countries. Burgers cannot into waterproofing.
>>
Why the fuck do sailors wear this ridiculous hat? It fills up with water.
>>
File: Dixie cup.jpg (90KB, 472x600px) Image search: [Google]
Dixie cup.jpg
90KB, 472x600px
>>34767953
Forgot pic.
>>
>>34765602
Unless they're rubber wellies, there's no such thing as waterproof boots.
>>
>>34767958
because it's sexy
>>
>>34767982
Waterproof/goretex boots take longer to dry when finally wet.
With my nike sfb's I could walk through a puddle during a ruck march and my feet would be dry from just their own heat after another mile.

Tldr fuck goretex boots
>>
File: IMG_3743.jpg (2MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3743.jpg
2MB, 2448x3264px
>>34765768
exactly this. I was walking through pure shit. it cunted it down with rain and my boots kept up against the rain, the only water that got in got in through my trousers. here's a pic of the next day, when it was nice and sunny

these boots weren't expensive but are good.
>>
>>34765602
>the NAVY
>the branch of the military that deals primarily with boats, and therefore, with water
>their boots are NOT WATERPROOF
why is this allowed
>>
>>34765602
We were issued summer and winter or 'all weather' boots. The winter boots had a goretex lining, and I'm pretty sure they came with a protectant like beeswax or a waterproofing chemical on the outside that wears off that no one ever replaces. Pretty sure the brand was Belleville. I personally had no issues with them not being waterproof, but I spent my last 2 years in AZ and never wore them again. On the civilian side, I've learned that you just can't have both breath-ability and waterproofing. True waterproof boots do not breath, so you get a lot of the same problems that you'd have with wet boots because you are soaking in your own foot juices
>>
File: 40676944_614.jpg (27KB, 614x461px) Image search: [Google]
40676944_614.jpg
27KB, 614x461px
>>34765602
Canada Army fag here.

Nothing is waterproof forever in wet conditions, especially if you are active.

Even in gore tex, you will get wet eventually, either from seepage or sweat. The key with gore tex stuff is to wash according to instructions and reapply the sealer spray once it starts losing the ability to bead water. Most quarter masters won't issue it, but you can get it for $15 from a place like MEC.

As for boots, nothing issued will stay dry, you either go with wellies or something like NEO over boots. I found the standard leather MKIII issued boots with a vibram sole to be the best bet. You want something that will not soak up a lot of water and dry out fast, and you want two sets. That basically rules out modern boots with a lot of fabric or padding. They take forever to dry out.

Pic related: just needs resoling with something better.
>>
>>34765759
I don't know about WW1, but I do recall in Eugene Sledge's With the Old Breed you would have to make a foxhole with a buddy or two, and one would have to continually bail it out overnight because of the rains in Okinawa.
>>
>>34767958
Tradition faggot
>>
>>34765602
They are garbage. The new ones at least dry out quicker.
>>
OP check the soles on those pieces of shit. I guarantee you that they're cracked straight through, all those fuckin boots do that after like 6 months. Once the soles get cracked you're fucked, until then they're okayish. Not as nice as my gucci Caterpillar branded ones from Sears tho

>>34767958
In Navy boot, I was told thats so you can catch rain water with it if your ship sinks. Mind you we only wear them in dress uniforms now.
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
Australian army.
Our boots are not waterproof.
They will resist water getting in them if it is just puddles and rain but when you are knee deep it is better to have boots that drain fast and dry fast.
You can't have that if the boots are waterproof.

Also, as a qwee I always get asked why the boots are crap.
They are not crap, idiots do not follow the fitting instructions, get the wrong fractional fitting than complain that the boots don't fit.

Pic is of my new boots. Third pair this year.
Yay PESA and doing a fifteen k march every week.
>>
>>34765761
kek
how did your boots get wet?
hell...with water.

the very best WATERPROOF boots in the world can get soaked when water comes through the top.
>>
>>34769892
This

Spent some time in the boundary waters, figured out it is much better to have light boots that dry quickly than trying to keep water out entirely

You will get wet on this ride
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.