[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi /k/, I'm an oz-fag who's thinking of getting a gun

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 8

File: Springfield 1911.gif (100KB, 960x500px) Image search: [Google]
Springfield 1911.gif
100KB, 960x500px
Hi /k/, I'm an oz-fag who's thinking of getting a gun license and beginning to attend firing ranges. I just turned 18 and have just secured a job that will allow me to pay for all of this so I have a couple dumb arse questions because I'm new to all of this, some of these questions will probably be best answered by other oz-fags

I'm going to begin attending a hand gun club soon and it will take 6 months (maybe a little more than that) and several competitions before I can get my license and purchase a hand gun.

>What handgun should I get (bump with a pic of the gun in question)
>What are your favorite handguns?
>What gun safe should I use (needs to be either 150kgs, I live in a rental and likely will not be able to bolt the safe to the ground)
>Rim Fire or center fire?
>What caliber do you most enjoy shooting with a handgun?

Also for any oz-fags on here
>What guns do you own?
>How difficult was the process to acquire said gun?
>How much did you have to spend on everything (safe, license, club member ships ect.)

I currently have my eye on a .45 ACP 1911 Springfield, pic related.

Sorry if I've asked any stupid questions, I am new to this kind of thing
>>
Also I should mention I've got around $12'000 AUD in savings which I can throw at this but would prefer to keep the costs on the lower side of things.
>>
File: Model 19.jpg (69KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Model 19.jpg
69KB, 640x480px
Ill be bumping with pics of other handguns I am considering c:
>>
File: Colt Python.jpg (32KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
Colt Python.jpg
32KB, 600x450px
I'm open to suggestions of handguns that are magazine fed or revolvers.
>>
File: Colt Detective Special.jpg (41KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
Colt Detective Special.jpg
41KB, 600x400px
>>
Aren't aussies limited to 10 round mags? Then just get whatever modern 1911 in .45 you like, no point in buying a Sig, HK or Glock with a cucked mag.

S&W E-series
Remington R1
Ruger SR1911
Colt Government or 70 series or 80 series
Auto Ordnance
etc
>>
Australia is really horrible for guns. You're better off moving to NZ if you wanter better laws.
>>
File: Taurus PT 92.jpg (49KB, 696x467px) Image search: [Google]
Taurus PT 92.jpg
49KB, 696x467px
I should mention that I don't like glocks, unless someone can be very convincing and sell them to me it'll be unlikely that I'll consider getting one.
>>
>>34763403
Yes we're limited to 10 round mags. Australia is mega-cucked.

I'll take a look at the suggestions you've made and report back c:

>>34763406
I'd love to move somewhere with less strict gun control but I can't at the moment. I may be moving to Britain in a few years to further my education though but I'm fairly certain they're also pretty Cucked.

What are some uncucked countries?
I've considered America but havent researched much further.
>>
>>34763403
S&W E-series is pretty hard to find in Australia as far as I can tell. I might be able to order it through a dealer but I'd have to check up on the price of that.

Remington R1 looks nice though fairly expensive here.

Ruger SR1911 are also pretty hard to find.

The Colt Government is not too difficult to find and not insanely expensive for a handgun (at least not insanely expensive as far as handguns in Australia are concerned), the 70s and 80s series are also not too hard to find and are about half the price of the colt government.
>>
>>34763365
>>What guns do you own?
A few
>>How difficult was the process to acquire said gun?
Depends, rifles and shotguns were easy as. Just submit a blank PTA, then take it to the gun shop and buy whatever Cat A or B gun I wanted. Each state is slightly different though.
The general process is to submit a PTA detailing what gun you're after, submit that to the coppers. They'll either give it back to you on the spot or make you wait 28 days and post it to you. You then take this to a gun shop and they'll let you buy a gun and take it home.

>>How much did you have to spend on everything (safe, license, club member ships ect.)
Not alot for cat A+B. My licence was $15 for 5 years, $15 for the test and $15 for the hunting permit. Then I think $3-400 for the safe. It's now $173 for 10 years though to keep the licence.

For Cat H it was $57 fucking dollars just to submit an application for a cat H licence, then $170 for 5 years. $260 for 1 year club membership. Only had cat H for 2 months and have already spent $4500 on 2 handguns and holsters, belts etc.

Just so you're aware, only Vic will let you shoot IPSC with a .45 ACP. Otherwise you'll need to put Metallic Silhouette as one of your disciplines to own a .45. Everyone gets 9mm 1911s as you can do a lot more with them in Australia. When you get more serious into the competition side maybe upgrade to a .357 SIG or 38 Super.
Don't buy a Glock, they're shit competition guns. Any gun you buy will need to be atleast somewhat reasonable in competitions, at least once you start off. Once you've had your Cat H for 12 months and you have no ownership restrictions, then you can buy retarded shit like Glocks and Chargers.
>>
>>34763467
I'm in victoria so I should be fine, the process you described seems a lot less tedious than I imagined. I'll have a look at 9mm 1911s, I assume they'll probably be cheaper as well which is always a bonus.

What gun safe did you get? I've been kind of overwhelmed by the number of brands to look through.

I'll probably go for my cat A+B+H all together and try and get a 10 year A+B and 5 year H. What handguns did you buy? How are you finding them so far?
>>
>>34763500
The process is incredibly tedious, but it's not difficult. Just lots of waiting and signing shit.

I'm sure the model etc but its a Buffalo River safe. Seems to work fine. Dont have a handgun safe yet as my guns are still at the club. Just buy whatever, they're all the same shit really. Just make sure it says APPROVED FOR ABH on it.

Cat H is almost entirely separate from A and B so don't stress yourself out trying to do them all at once. They even have different cards.

Bought one of the new Desert Eagle 1911s, I know the name sounds tacky as fuck but they're actually very nice pistols. And a Python.
>>
>>34763543
The Desert Eagle 1911 is a nice looking gun. What kind of round does it take?

And no shit you got a python? Thats fucking awesome, thats probably the gun second on my list of things to get, its that or a Colt Detective special as far as revolvers are concerned. How does the python hold up for target shooting?

I might not worry about a safe for now and just keep my guns at a club when I have the license to get them. I'll ask around at the club and see what gun safe's people recommend.

I think Ill go for my cat H license first because Im much more keen on shooting handguns then rifles so I guess Ill save my self the effort for getting a and b if I'm not going to be getting a rifle soon.
>>
>>34763365
>>What handgun should I get (bump with a pic of the gun in question

The default answer in Australia is a 1911 in .380 or a S&W 686 but the usual /k/ answers on handguns - something that's reliable, something that fits your hand, something you like, something you'll want to shoot - in about that order, still apply. Almost all full sized handguns you might be interested in will be available in some form.

>What are your favorite handguns? // >What guns do you own? // >How difficult was the process to acquire said gun? //>How much did you have to spend on everything (safe, license, club member ships ect.)

I have a P210, a P226 X5AR and a Ruger Mk II. My favourite for sentimental reasons is the P210, which is also hilariously accurate, but forgetting mechanical accuracy I shoot better with the P226 and it brings me the most joy. They're all straightforward to obtain on a Cat H licence, with patience. I have a few other A+B bits and pieces that don't warrant going into - .22, a Lithgow No 1 Mk III and a shotgun.

Club membership varies on place to place, so check out your local options - it's a bit over three hundred a year for me, though there was a joining fee. This gets me a club in the city I live in and the ability to shoot any day of the week. My safe was around $500. Licensing is a fixed fee from state to state. The two 9mms cost me around $2500 each, the Ruger was $400.

>>What gun safe should I use (needs to be either 150kgs, I live in a rental and likely will not be able to bolt the safe to the ground)
If you want Cat H you're almost certainly going to need to bolt it down. That being said, in some cases you can store a gun at your club.

>Rim Fire or center fire?
I would suggest, with handguns - and rifles for that matter but certainly handguns - it is much, much cheaper to learn proper technique with .22. For me, at least, good practice was all about repetition and .22 lets you do that more than anything else. Now I thoroughly enjoy 9mm.
>>
>>34763578
The DE1911 is in 9mm. Haven't gotten to shoot the python yet so who knows.

You won't get a detective special. Revolvers have a minimum barrel length of 4", semi-autos are 5".

Might as well get the ball rolling with Cat H as its the most time consuming by far.
>>
>>34763365
Its a pain in the bum with the probationary period, but make the most of it and get involved in your club, make some mates and generally a lot of cheaper guns you can just buy 2nd hand from them for a lot less than retail. Bought a few pistols for cheap, also sold a few for cheap over the years to club mates.
I kind of like doing Service Pistol and Single Action (ok its sort of dumb, but kind of fun) the most and training noob members how not to shoot themselves in the foot. Like any kind of higher-end hobby, you can spend a bit or you can spend fucking ridiculous amounts of money- but hey, you've got time to save up.

In terms of pistols, they're kind of "personal things" a bit more so than a rifle and depends what you're wanting to do. Some people like thicker grips, others aren't keen on heavier calibres, a few people prefer revolvers, heavier weight, less weight etc.
Handle a few and make a decision on what you like
>>
>>34763625
ah shit, I didnt know about the minimum barrel length. What are 9mm 1911s like to shoot? The reason I'm looking at a 1911 is they look very comfortable, reliable and I've heard they're quite accurate although i guess that would differ depending on the manufacturer and the age of the gun ect.

>>34763623
I'll get involved with my local club and shoot a couple guns and see what feels right. I've got my eye set on a 1911 style pistol because they look very comfortable and I like that everything is metal, seems sturdy and reliable.

I like the look of both the p210 and p226 but know very little about them. I'll look into them more, andI know that down the track Ill definitely be getting a Ruger MK II.

Club membership in my area is generally between $300-400 a year, it'll likely be more because Ill be moving closer to the CBD of melbourne shortly.

I'm setting myself a budget of about 3000-4000 to put into this initially, I think that'll likely be enough but I have more to throw at it if need be.

What brand safe do you have? I might be able to bolt it down, I'll be moving back in with my parents for some time and I'm sure they would be okay with me bolting down a safe, otherwise Ill store the handguns at the club if that options available.

>Its much much cheaper to learn proper technique with a .22

If thats the case I may pick up a .22 as well, it seems there are plenty of 1911 style weapons that fire .22 and they dont seem too expensive, that might help me learn the feeling of the gun, although Im sure it'll change if I move to a more powerful round. Otherwise I will check out the Ruger MKII if you'd recommend that?
>>
>>34763635
Ill definitely take your suggestion of handling a few different handguns to see what I like. I'm not so fussed with the probationary period and the waiting, I'm quite a patient person although I'm eager to get started shooting. Hopefully I can find someone as nice as you as my local club who wont mind giving me some pointers on how to shoot.
>>
>>34763713
The P210 is a bit tricky to find and can be expensive - they're an old handgun and more of a collector's piece, and if you like 1911s you'll find a vast array of options to choose from within your budget, lots of gunsmiths that can work on them, and lots of club members to offer guidance on them. 1911s are easy to get a good trigger on, are accurate, and are very well supported with mags/holsters/every other thing.

The Mk II is a good choice for a ..22 - easier to find mags than for a Mk I, but no silly mag safety like the III or IV, and you should be able to find one easily for <$500 and probably <$400. All of the Ruger .22 target pistols are hilariously accurate - you should be able to hold a 50c piece sized group at 10m before too long.

My safe is a Spika. Common brand. Not bad, not great - the key word is "compliant".

There are several .22 conversion kits for 1911s, there are a few .22 standalone 1911s as well but if you've got a waiting period for a centrefire handgun you may as well spend it renting the club Ruger - I guarantee they'll have one.
>>
>>34763713
1911s completely dominate the competitive IPSC scene in Australia probably in the world. The only exception is revolver division (obviously) and Production division where they're banned (CZ Shadows dominate this division and are very, very nice guns to shoot).
The triggers on high end 1911s will outclass everything. They're nice heavy guns, we're restricted to 10 rounds so single stack mags is who-cares, but you can get a 2011 if you really want double stacks. There's unlimited aftermarket for them and everybody can work on them for you. They're comfortable to shoot unless you've got midget hands.
But some people just prefer other guns and thats fine, you'll shoot better with guns you actually like and feel comfortable with.

9mm 1911s are very comfortable to shoot. I honestly wouldn't bother with a .22 training pistol if you're gonna get a 9mm 1911. Better off spending time learning to manage the recoil of the gun you will actually be shooting, as you'll need to learn to shoot fast and being able to quickly realign your sights and counter recoil will be the hardest thing to learn. .22s only really help you practice your proper grip. That's my experience though, do whatever helps you, pistol shooting is all about doing what makes you a better shooter, try everything then throw out all the rubbish advice. What works for me might not work for you.
>>
>>34763741
Maybe if I get more into collecting weapons Ill have a look for something like a p210. The main reason I've been looking for 1911 style handguns is exactly the reasons you've mentioned, there are so many options and they seem to be ideal for a beginner pistol, same with the MK II, both friends I know who already shoot hand guns have .22 Rugers of one kind or another.

I'll head down to my local club this week and take their introductory course and apply for a membership, all the clubs in my area also help you apply for the license which is good. Should be on my way to getting myself a weapon by next year :)

Thank you for all the advice.
>>
>shooting is all about doing what makes you a better shooter, try everything then throw out all the rubbish advice. What works for me might not work for you.

That is unironically the best advice I have ever, ever seen on /k/. Listen to this man, OP.
>>
>>34763431
Switzerland and the Czech Republic.
>>
>>34763764
My goal is to get a nice 1911 and slowly build it up into a gun I'm really comfortable with. I'm not really fussed about them being single stack or double stacked but that might change once I get shooting. I've got pretty big hands, I box as well so my hands and arms are quite strong as well which I'm fairly certain will come in handing while shooting. I might end up preferring a different gun once I've tried a couple.

The other poster in this thread said I could probably just use whichever club I joins .22 pistol to practice on if I want so I might just do that instead. You're right, its probably more practically for me to just shoot the gun Ill be using.
>>
>>34763783
I've already looked into living in switzerland, I run a few businesses and hate having to pay such ridiculous taxes here, if I ever have 10m+ dollars Ill move to switzerland, otherwise it's unlikely I'll be able to get in. I have no idea what the czech republic is like but will look into it further.

>>34763780
I'll make a mental note of it, seems like something good to keep in mind.
>>
>>34763783
>>34763803
Czech are prettier than Swiss women
>>
>>34763805
The girl I'm seeing at the moment is partly czech, partly hungarian and partly slovak, she's really fucking pretty and can cook up a storm.
>>
>>34763365
what state?
>>
>>34763831
Victoria :)
>>
>>34763726
Hi anon, ausfag (vic) here - send me a message on fb, search 'pacific arms'. If local to you, a range trip could be arranged where you could try some handguns etc. Cheers
>>
>>34763431
>What are some uncucked countries?
As others mentioned, there's Switzerland and Czech Republic.

In Europe, Belgium, Finland, and Norway have reasonably decent laws. Canada isn't too bad either.

France, Austria, Italy, Germany, Poland, Netherlands are strict, but less so than Australia/UK. But they do have some quirky rules, like Italy/France have a ban on "military cartridges" like .223 or 9mm.

In South East Asia, Thailand and Philippines have kinda okay-ish laws, they just put a financial barrier to stop people, which doesn't really work with foreigners. So you can toot guns and teach English if you wanted to.

UK, Ireland, Portugal, Japan, Singapore are definite no-go zones for guns. As are most of the poorest parts of the world (basically anything poorer than Czechia = noguns).

>(just what I've heard from talking to people)
>>
>>34764186
Sorry mate, no 9mm/.223 is more cucked than Australia.
>>
>>34764208
They can use other stuff, even more powerful ammunition, just not ammunition used by the military.

Plus, black powder guns don't require a licence or anything in France. Black powder here is cat B/H for some stupid reason.
>>
File: Gun laws in France 2.png (1MB, 1152x3000px) Image search: [Google]
Gun laws in France 2.png
1MB, 1152x3000px
>>34764186
No, 9mm and 223 are not banned in France, simply restricted to "permit holders".

t. french glockfag and ARfag
>>
File: image.jpg (54KB, 480x254px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
54KB, 480x254px
It's interesting to see how AUS does guns, but this thread reinforces my joy at being a morbidly obese ignorant American. I plunked down cash for these just this month and they're sitting on my coffee table so I can finger fuck them while watching John Wick. Guns are so cheap here right now because everyone overproduced expecting a panic when Clinton won...only Trump won so no one bought them and they are basically giving guns away now.

The four AR lowers were free with purchase of the Glock, the Walther was under $US 250, etc.
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.