[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

When did the word "operator" become so ubiquitous regarding

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1

File: Benecio Del Toro Sicario.png (200KB, 830x346px) Image search: [Google]
Benecio Del Toro Sicario.png
200KB, 830x346px
When did the word "operator" become so ubiquitous regarding marksmen and professionally trained gun wielders? What's the etymology behind this word?
>>
>>34760519
>>
>>34760519
the earliest it's was used in military sense I've found was as something to call the early Delta guys when they were doing sneaky stuff independently of chain of command. They weren't enlisted so some jerk off officer in the combat zone could boss them about and they were gonna comission these guys obviously then some other chain of command dick could touch them so on mission they were on operators

it diffuses from there
source I read Inside Delta Force 3 years ago
>>
>>34760795
^^^This
>>
>>34760795
*weren't gonna commision
>>
>>34760795
I read Beckwith's memoir and IIRC wasn't it to differentiate them from CIA agents because they had similar skills?
>>
>>34760519
Something that struck me as odd was Del Toro was a lawyer, then the cartel kills his family and he somehow becomes an oper9r? Like did the CIA train him how to operate while he was in Colombia?
>>
>>34760909
He wasn't a lawyer he was a hitman, the lawyer thing was what they told FBI girl
>>
>>34760923
The cartel guy that he offs recalls him as 'the young lawyer.'
>>
>>34760519
Its a euphemism.
>>
>>34760895
I'm just putting what I remember from the book and one other half remembered source
>>
>>34760930
why in Gods name does this thread require a trip you worthless waste of time?
>>
I just hate how "operating" is associated with just shooting or using a gun professionally. Ffs there is much more to operating than the gun aspect.
>>
>>34760923
Rewatch the movie, he was a prosecutor for Mexico, then cartels killed his family to scare him off to stop trying cases.

After the powerpoint, when he's playing candycrush Emily Blunt asks him where he just came from and he said Cartagena.

Also he wasn't just a hitman, he kills the kingpin so he can take his place. They explain "Medellin" means a time when the cartels are under US control.
>>
>>34760963
They're making fun of those people.
>>
>>34760996
>Cartagena
thats in columbia. He was just a hitman and they killed his family. The lawyer thing was a lie, why would the CIA train a rando lawyer into a killer operator?

>They explain "Medellin" means a time when the cartels are under US control.
It just referred to one cartel with less violence
>>
>>34761084
Rewatch the movie then come back, you're going over shit I already said.
>>
>>34760519
When delta first went active they wanted to use a term for their personell like the term operative but they were aware that this term had a connotation of being related to the cia so they went with operator instead.
>>
>>34760519
A partial derivation comes from an association with the various special operations forces and units. Conducting SpecOps=operating.

Iirc, the term first came into use when referring to the capabilities of a member of one of the special operations units or forces; ex. "He's a good operator in the tropics". The first time I heard it used in the manner we're accustomed to was in reference to activities in Bosnia during the 90s.

I don't believe I ever heard the term used before the late 90s. I knew a goodly number of Vietnam-era SOF types, none of them ever used the term in any context whatsoever except maybe during a discussion about Lily Tomlin's legs.
>>
>>34761110
you have autism, that was his cover.
>>
>>34761084
How are people this fucking stupid? Is this movie going to be the new "What was Rust Cohle shooting at" meme?
>>
>>34760519
Special forces go on "operations". When they are on ops, they're "operating". Hence, those who are operating are "operators".
>>
>>34760895
>>34760795
it's was a word they use because it had legal cognizance. agent and operator means things in a court of law. they used the word operator because it best describes what they do. he made it very clear in his book.
>>
seals called themselves operators during vietnam. gene wentz says this in men in green faces.
>>
>>34760519
It's military jargon that was popularized by wannabe gunmen.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.