[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Alright /k/, there is something I don't understand. Wikipedia

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

File: Syrian_tiger_forces.png (146KB, 625x625px) Image search: [Google]
Syrian_tiger_forces.png
146KB, 625x625px
Alright /k/, there is something I don't understand. Wikipedia says that ISIS has 20,000 men fighting for them, which is much less than what either Assad or the Kurds have. If this is the case then why was ISIS such a threat?
>>
>>34759839

US and arab money + training, intel, constant influx of new members through Turkey
>>
During the golden days of isis the saa was in a chaotic state. They were throwing all their recources at the battles for the mayor cities in the west of the country (damascus, aleppo, hama, homs, daraa, ..) leaving the eastern parts of the country easy prey for isis. Same for the kurds who back then were basically just tribes all fighting for their own village. Only when they were driven into a corner the kurds figured out they stood a much better chance when teaming up. So they regrouped, held the line and eventually started pushing back isis (alot faster once the us started supporting them). Same for the saa, it took russian airsupport and iranian manpower to stabilise the battle in the west. Only then could the saa regroup and start resisting further advances from isis
>>
Also low morale combined with the terror isis spread (mass executions, torturing, ..) meant most of the time soldiers and tribal warriors would either retreat, surrender or even pledge alliance to isis rather than put up a fight
>>
>>34759839
Truth be told ISIS was never a real threat to Assad. In Syria ISIS focused on fighting the rebels taking land and converting menpower from them. Much of what became ISIS in Syria was rebels defecting.
Assad knew this and so avoided engaging ISIS. More often ISIS was used by the SAA as the anvil to their hammer and vice versa.
That is not to say they collaborated, just that their interests aligned.
Only time ISIS posed a srategical threat to Assad was after they took Palmyra and kept pushing westword from there.

ISIS in it's prime had alot more fighters than it has now. Plus a lot more of their elite war seasoned fighters and leaders were alive.
Quality many times trumps quality.
Thread posts: 5
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.