[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tanks use slanted armor to increase the amount of material that

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 7

File: slanted.jpg (64KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
slanted.jpg
64KB, 800x600px
Tanks use slanted armor to increase the amount of material that would be penetrated by an incoming round. Why not just slant the armor all the way to get maximum protection?
>>
>>34748981
internal space my dude
in T-34's (and other soviet tanks) the crew were very cramped
>>
File: shitty tank.png (26KB, 1350x690px) Image search: [Google]
shitty tank.png
26KB, 1350x690px
>>34748987
*and you'd need a bottom front plate
pic related is better idea
>>
>>34748981
I sincerely hope this is b8.
>>
>>34748981
>Why not just slant the armor all the way to get maximum protection?
you're essentially just making really thick armor with a 0-degree slope, sending you back to square one. Congratulations, you just played yourself.
>>
File: Effects of sloped armor.jpg (41KB, 486x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Effects of sloped armor.jpg
41KB, 486x1024px
>>34748981
Because now it is effectively 0 again in design. Slanted armor does not only increase LOS thickness but add deflection play which fucks up the projectile since bouncing and other mechanics.

>>34748987
T-34 being cramped has more to do with the suspension eating up internal space then the armor. Later soviet post war tanks are fucking tiny to start compared to western tanks with having big guns which makes it worse.
>>
>>34749016
Keep in mind that you need to make space for the transmission if it's in the front.
>>
File: padlock.jpg (17KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
padlock.jpg
17KB, 300x300px
I was thinking itd be built like a padlock with a little compartment in the center for the crew
>>
>>34749296
Better not be a Masterlock, those fuckers pop open if you hit them with a hammer.
>>
>>34749063
But what if you then slant that?
>>
File: AP.png (298KB, 620x427px) Image search: [Google]
AP.png
298KB, 620x427px
>>
File: sloped armor 3.png (51KB, 842x1378px) Image search: [Google]
sloped armor 3.png
51KB, 842x1378px
>>
File: AP penetration.jpg (87KB, 620x427px) Image search: [Google]
AP penetration.jpg
87KB, 620x427px
>>34749643
I posted a wrong pic.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.