[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why didn't Germany finish the line after annexing France

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: maginot line.jpg (84KB, 588x611px) Image search: [Google]
maginot line.jpg
84KB, 588x611px
Why didn't Germany finish the line after annexing France and use it to fend off the Allied landing?
>>
>>34737901
Russia
>>
>>34737901
You sound like you don't have a grasp of how massive of an undertaking that would've been.
>>
>>34737901
ha ha ha bruh it was facing the wrong direction
>>
>>34737901
I know man haha it's dumb

Why didn't they just take over russia? They would have won that way.
>>
>>34738005
Why didnt they just turn it around then?
>>
>>34738280
Literally this, just rotate the guns around and tell your soldiers to face the other way in their trenches, lmao
>>
>>34737901
The line that had literally just been proven to be super expensive and useless?
>>
>>34738372
Yes and no.

the Line served it purpose by providing a major obstacle to invading German armies and blocking the closest part of the border to Germany. It forced Germany to go through Belgium and triggered Britain into entering the war. This is exactly what it was intended to do.

What truly failed was the French military doctrine and the superiority of German army in its drive through France. Literally the French Army got whacked, outflanked and outsmarted by a technically inferior enemy employing far better tactics.

So in hindsight the Line fulfilled its primary objective but failed to deter an invader.
>>
>>34738461

>going through belgium got britain into the war

wrong war dude
>>
>>34737901
Installing a puppet government effectively lets you do everything you want while being quicker and cheaper.
See
>Vichy France
>Vichy troops fighting in North Africa
>>
>>34738372
This.
100% this.

This was the maneuver that put the final nail in the coffin for trench warfare and brought the age of mobility
>>
>>34737901

If I remember correctly but it has been some time that I heard about it...Germany had defensive fortifications built across from the Maginot Line but it wasn't really invested upon so it was never completed to original specs. Especially after Germany's early victories the fortifications were deemed unnecessary. As such...when the western allies was completing their trek across France there was a rush to finish what was there and make an impregnable series of fortifications that faced the correct direction using slave labor.

>>34738461

The invasion of Belgium is what would initiate Britain's involvement in the First World War not the second. It was the invasion of Poland that finally got France and the UK to join forces against Germany.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.