[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sup /k/. Just talked myself out of trading for a 1911. I lo

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: a better time.jpg (61KB, 504x365px) Image search: [Google]
a better time.jpg
61KB, 504x365px
Sup /k/.

Just talked myself out of trading for a 1911. I love them so, so much, but I can't justify to myself having more than one handgun right now, and the 1911 is just outshone in pretty much every department by newer guns.

Sometimes I feel sad, knowing that my favorite gun isn't the best gun, as much as I'd like it to be. I'm sure I'll pick up a really nice one as a range toy when I can better afford it, but for now... I just think wistfully back to the days when our glorious handgun was everything to everyone. I leave this for you, my friends, so that you can see some beautiful history.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jP7J-JNSUu4
>>
>>34730603
>1911 is just outshone in pretty much every department by newer guns.
Except for the only department which actually matters, which is the ability to save your ass. When you "see the elephant," you're not going to give a fuck about all the "advantages" of newer guns.
>>
>>34730690
>which is the ability to save your ass.

>1911 failure rates compared to modern guns
>1911 maintenance requirements compared to modern guns
>1911 'mandatory replacement parts' compared to modern guns
>1911 weight compared to modern guns

The 1911 is a beautiful piece of history, and easily my favorite gun of all time, but it is objectively (as measured by various military and law enforcement agencies) less likely to save your ass than any other modern production pistol.
>>
>>34730603
>justify

Like what, you can't afford multiple kinds of ammo?
You don't actually want it enough or want something else more?
And what kind of 1911?
>>
>>34730603
You see OP, you kinda fucked up.
>>34730690
>>34730738
All of this is true. But it doesn't matter.
Is the 1911 a truly modern wonder-gun with the best possible reliability and simplest design? No. Does it have the largest magazine? No. Is .45 all THAT much more powerful than say 9mm? A bit but not really.

Who gives a fuck. It's a gun. It shoots bullets. It kills stuff dead. It's been killing stuff dead for 106 years. It sure as fuck didn't stop in 1982 when Glock started making guns. You stick one in my nose I'd take the threat plenty seriously.

What do you need a gun for? Defense? It'll do that just fucking fine. Yeah combat Tupperware might be slightly better at it. Who gives a shit? How many shootouts have you gotten into last week? None? That's what I thought.

But you love the 1911. That's why you should have traded for it. It's marginally less likely to save you in the event of a shootout which is 999 times out of 1000 never going to happen, but you will enjoy shooting it more. And that shit counts.

I have an M1A. I know it has faults and that it's objectively not as good as this battle rifle or another. It's not as modern as an AR-10. Not as accurate as a SCAR. But in the unlikely event that I have to go into battle with it and die, I'd probably also die with any other rifle. But fuck you, I'd rather die with a rifle in my hands that I actually like.
>>
what ever weapon you are good with is the weapon you should use. (provided the weapon is not total shit) a guy that's good with a sub par weapon that has mastered it will eat a guy with a great weapon that has not mastered it 9 times out of 10.
>>
>>34730811
This shit is quite possibly the truest shit I've ever heard regarding choice of firearms.

Use what you enjoy.
You'll probably be a better shot with it because you like practicing with it.
And let's face it, if you may die, you may as well risk death with a gun you love clutched in your fist.
>>
>>34730817
>>34730603
I forgot to say that the 1911 is by far good enough for what you need a handgun for. (so long as you maintain it properly which it does require more of than other handguns sadly)
>>
>>34730738
>but it's not reliable
Bullshit. You can literally fire 1000 rounds through a stock 1911 without a single failure. People have literally melted modern guns trying to do that with them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFF0TbhgQMY

>>34730738
>1911 'mandatory replacement parts' compared to modern guns
You don't have to replace anything except maybe the magazine,which you should have spares of anyway.

>>34730738
>1911 weight compared to modern guns
When your ass is on the line, you're not going to even notice the weight. The only thing you're going to notice is the front sight, the feel of the trigger, and the blood spurting out of the SOB in front of your muzzle.

>>34730811
>reliability
Bullshit. See video above.
>>
>>34730817
fuck my life sorry guys I've been drinking
>>
>>34730841
Honestly?
If built to the original standards, no, it doesn't.
The ammo and dust sensitivity that we see nowadays is a result of tightened tolerances that people wanted because they all though every 1911 should be a sub MOA laser pistol.

Glocks are actually headed this route funnily enough.
Eventually we'll see people bitch about them the same way Glock people bitch about 1911s.
>>
>>34730864
>Eventually we'll see people bitch about them the same way Glock people bitch about 1911s.
They just do that to feel better about themselves for buying Glock. People get far too emotionally invested in their gun purchases. If the Glock works for you, by all means use it, but don't spread bullshit rumors about other guns just to soothe your ego.
>>
>>34730864
>If built to the original standards, no, it doesn't.
Guys 1911's suck because they are so old original 1911's were not as good
I highly doubt OP's 1911 was slaying Nazis
>>
>>34730925
>Guys 1911's suck because they are so old original 1911's were not as good
Appeal to novelty fallacy. 1911s don't suck at all. They work great.
>>
>>34730690
How can a 1911 save your arse anymore than a modern .45 handgun?
>>
>>34731203
I never said that it could. I just said that the "advantages" ascribed to newer guns don't mean anything. People talk about how this gun or that has a striker instead of a hammer or has a decocker or weights less or is smaller or whatever, but none of that stuff is going to help you in a gunfight. The 1911 works. Enough said.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.