[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>pic related just got premiered in my country and i loved

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 231
Thread images: 28

>pic related

just got premiered in my country and i loved it, what does /k/ thinks? also anyone got that list of /k/ related movies
>>
>>34721259
It is boring.
>>
>cold war destroyer
>>
>>34721290
brainlet who needs constant explosions and witty quips detected.
>>
>>34721290
Your feedback has been noted, anon. Next time we do a film about Dunkirk, we can have a big battle on the beach between Iron Man and Red Skull while the allies float to safety across the channel on Wonder Woman's tits.
>>
>>34721305
>spanish BF-109's
wtf nolan can't invest in a time machine to go back and record actual footage WHATA HACK
>>
>>34721340
>>34721368
He's right though. It was pretty boring. There wasn't much of a plot to it. It's literally a movie about a retreat.
>>
>>34721375
no wonder hollywood pukes out ten trillion capeshit movies every year, people can't seem to sit down and actually pay attention to whats happening on the fucking screen
>>
>>34721375
That's what makes it interesting you dumb fuck. It shows you something more realistic than constant explosions and firefights, instead you get waiting, fear, a sense of being lost, in other words, whay you feel in a massive fucking retreat.
>>
>>34721381
I did pay attention.
>bunch of bongs lined up on the beach
>oh, no! some scary ebil Natsees!
>get on boats
>oh, no! some scary ebil Natsees!
>cross the water
>Hurray! We retreated back to our shitty, foggy island that will one day be occupied by a caliphate.
>>
>>34721392
That doesn't seem like something worth making a movie about. Might as well make a movie about watching grass grow.
>>
>>34721290
>>34721375
>>34721401

its one of the most impartial non american centrist ww2 movie Ive ever seen, plus it tells us the story of one of history biggest fuck ups, whats not o love?
>>
It felt low budget for a Nolan movie, the scale of the movie was so small for what was supposed to be a massive retreat. I don't know how the hell did this cost $100 million unless they were destroying real Spitfires in it.
>>
>>34721441
If it were impartial, it would show the story from the point of few of the Germans, or even the French, instead of just bongs.
>>
>>34721305
>"But the funny thing is, the veracity of being onboard a real boat in real water trumped the historical accuracy of making a perfect (computer graphic) model," Nolan adds. "We could have made a historically accurate model. But it wouldn’t be real."
>>
>>34721259
I really liked it. Found it interesting that the entire movie the Germans are killing people but you never see a single German. Even at the end when Bane is captured. The aerial combat scenes were beautiful except the ammo capacity of the planes is exaggerated.
>>
>>34721401
>>34721375
>>34721290
>american thinks war is only about firefight and watching the ennemy in the eyes
>>
>>34721259
I fucking loved it, absolutey would recommend seeing it in a proper theatre though. Nolan managed to nail how gunshots sound.
Also historically quite accurate with almost zero ethnics and females, and when they do show up, its in a context that makes sense.
http://www.gq.com/story/dunkirk-according-to-a-dunkirk-historian
>>
also loved the sound the heinkel guns did, they sounded like they packed a punch.

>can anyone correct me if I'm wrong but weren't bf 109´s also armed with cannons?
>>
>>34721493
It's a racist and sexist movie.
>>
Off the top of my head two scenes really bugged me: the first is the scene where the stukas drop their payload on the beach, and when they all get up the beach is untouched, and the second is after the spitfire pilot runs out of gas and is not only able to do a 180 and line up on the last stuka, but than refuses to bail out and chooses to land behind enemy lines.
>>
File: IMG_3816.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3816.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>34721401
I'll have you know that it's a beautiful foggy island
>>
>>34721674

With regards to not bailing out, he was pretty low altitude at that point, bailing out would have been more dangerous than landing on the beach, and he didn't have hydraulic pressure left to turn around and ditch back at Dunkirk (he had to crank down the landing gear).
>>
I probably wouldn't have enjoyed it nearly as much if I hadn't been watching it at the fuckhuge BFI IMAX. If I didn't get immersed in the emotion of the events (to the point of sweaty palms), it would have been nowhere near as enjoyable
>>
>stukas only appear to carry one bomb each and are seen in small groups yet they manage to drop many times their number in ordinance
>spitfire with a dead engine and no altitude manages to do a 180 degree turn, shoot down a stuka and gracefully glide to the ground
triggered my autism
>>
>>34721535
Bf-109 e4 had MgFF 20mm cannons. Later models would use the Mg151 and or 108.
>>
Inaccuracies:
>destroyer
>BF109 coloring
>infinite ammo on Spitfire
>Spitfire shooting down Stuka while gliding
>not real chaos on the beaches, people lined up
>not a lot of scattered materiel on the beaches
>weather incorrect, was warmer
>not many Stuka attacks, and if so, they carry more ordonance
>seems like the small boats saved the day in one moment, in reality it was something that was taking place for 7 days

Did I miss something?

But even with those mistakes I enjoyed the movie, it was very gripping and camera wise and music wise fantastic.
>>
I heard it was boring but because there was zero character development. Like you don't learn anything about the men fighting or what they're fighting for, the families they left behind or anything of that nature.
>>
As a brit I really enjoyed it because with most films in WW2 they portray the americans as single handedly fighting the Axis when really the americans came in at the end to get some glory. Hans Zimmer as always created amazing pieces that really captivate the audience and make the atmosphere even tenser. I always enjoyed how there was very little dialogue compared to many other films but somehow it still managed to make it's audience want the characters to survive even though we knew very little about them. The three different storys were amazingly put together as well (The Mole, The Sea and The Air) Also the Spitfire pilot played by Tom Hardy (You know the one where he took out that german plane with no fuel left then landed his aircraft) That part of the film was based on a true story of an RAF pilot who managed to take out a german plane with no fuel and then succesfully land although he did get captured by the advancing germans. Altogether a great film.
>>
>>34721693
The most beautiful island in the world :)
>>
dumb and gay, why don't they make an american sniper 2?
>>
File: Tom Hardy in the movie Dunkirk.gif (515KB, 499x374px) Image search: [Google]
Tom Hardy in the movie Dunkirk.gif
515KB, 499x374px
>>34721259
Is a good movie and a great visual and sensorial spectacle, with marvelous technical aspects. But is kind like a one shot movie. I doubt it can offer the same experience if I watched it a second time, even more in my tv or computer. But in matters of story and characters it is pretty bland. I also don't think that the movie successfully conveys the true graveness of the whole situation. The Dunkirk movie of 1958 or even the Atonement movie from 2007 do it better in my opinion. Personally I think people are overpraising to this movie.

I also have a few personal nitpickings, like the stupid way they decided to represent the little ships volunteers or how the beaches kind of seem empty compared to how it really was. Also, that boy that ends dying is kind of useless for the story and only a excuse for cheap drama, and the nonlinear presentation is good only until certain point of the movie, near the end it was already unnecessary and even Nolan seems to be lost during the climax.
>>
>>34721259
Two people take a shit in the first 10 minutes of the movie. That was kind of weird. And the second time, he didn't even really have to poo, he just pulled his pants down, then pulled them back up. Not how I would have poo'd. I would have finished the job.
>>
>>34722122
>most films in WW2 they portray the americans as single handedly fighting the Axis
Such as?
>when really the americans came in at the end to get some glory.
Categorically not true
>>
It's worth a watch in theaters but not much replay value after that. I kinda wish there were more stukas bombing and just more shooting in general.

Bane makes an appearance btw
>>
>>34722050
>>not real chaos on the beaches, people lined up

But that's what made the reveal of the beach so good. It was really surreal to see thousands just lined up in an open space like that. I was actually taken aback by that.
>>
Boring as fuck, and I'm not an action autist or american
>men drown
>some more men drown
>BIG FUCKING HERO MOMENT!! THESE FUCKING DINGHIES SAVE EVERYONE
>>
>>34722242
>George
He was a microcosm of the war, dude. Kid who signs on without knowing anything about where he's going, just that he wants to help, then gets blasted before he can even do anything.
>>
>>34722282
Yeah, unless you've got some sort of ridiculous theatre quality audio and a fuckhuge tv I'd imagine it loses a lot of impact.
>>
>>34722126
I'm from an island in the south. It's damn gorgeous.
>>
>>34721259
I was kind of expecting a Band of Brothers type deal, got a reasonably decent action movie instead. I liked it, yeah.
>>
File: axis powers.png (1MB, 905x1902px) Image search: [Google]
axis powers.png
1MB, 905x1902px
It was shit. Why can't we ever have a axis centered movie? My country was part of the axis and i would really like to see that. It's always british and americans, french against us.
>>
>>34722805
>It's always british and americans, french against us.

I know! It's a disgrace, I mean it's not like the German Empire went on a massive land grab and the allies has to push them back into Germ-.....

Oh, right yeah that happened. Deal with it sour Kraut.
>>
>>34722805
If you're italian, it's because everyone fucking hates you and you flaked out so bad during WWII that you literally lost Africa for the Germans. You fucked up so badly, the Germans told you just to hang back and defend your country, and you couldn't even do that right.

Fuck you, Italy.
>>
>>34722805
Thanks for posting your shitty microsoft paint circlejerk ya salty loser.

>>>pol for you
>>
File: IMG_0279.gif (3MB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0279.gif
3MB, 200x200px
>all these Eurofags defending this piece of shit
Kek Euros are almost as shittier as Africans at this point. Nice to see their countries getting fucked to death by Muslims and African hordes.
>>
>>34722805
Stop bitching about Merrican and Bong movies pandering for their side, and start digging. There is a considerable number of decent WW2 movies made by West Germany, and the same goes for the Finnish who also have a gallery of WW2 movies about their side.
>>
>>34722275
The Red Army accounted for 85% of the Wehrmacht's combat casualties. Literally nobody else mattered. Not the Americans, not the British, not the French, nobody.
>>
>>34722805
There's always Captain Corelli's Mandolin, Italanon.
>>
File: hungarian soldier.jpg (81KB, 610x395px) Image search: [Google]
hungarian soldier.jpg
81KB, 610x395px
>>34722829
>>34722818
Idiots i'm from Hungary and we fought the red plague in the east. We were part of the axis because of the soviet threat. There's no big budget war movies about the heroes of eastern front who defended europe from the communists even though it was the most intense fighting in the war!

>>34722860
Kill yourself retard
>>
>>34721486
you do see them at the end when he is captured.
>>
File: 1497399849394.png (278KB, 992x994px) Image search: [Google]
1497399849394.png
278KB, 992x994px
>>34721602
>>
>>34721455
I got that feeling too. There was supposed to be 300,000 men evacuated, and we only saw maybe a few thousand. I understand there was more then one beach, but the whole thing seemed a bit off.
>>
>>34722986
>There's no big budget war movies about the heroes of eastern front who defended europe from the communists even though it was the most intense fighting in the war!
The world is much more tolerant of communists than Nazis
>>
>>34722050
>>not real chaos on the beaches, people lined up
That's what it looked like
They weren't running around like toilet brushes all the fucking time
>>
>>34722061
>HURR MUH CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT
Will you faggots ever fuck off? The movie is about all of the ordinary young men on the beach
There's no sob story bullshit where they gather around a campfire and eat marshmallows while telling their life stories
>>
File: 1495405601922.png (3MB, 2953x1286px) Image search: [Google]
1495405601922.png
3MB, 2953x1286px
>>34722122
>the americans came in at the end to get some glory.
Not at all true

>>34722966
>The Red Army accounted for 85% of the Wehrmacht's combat casualties.
The Soviets would very likely have collapsed without American aid. Quit going on about "MUH K/D" as if that's the only thing that matters in war. The Americans killed and captured hundreds of thousands of German troops and put massive pressure on the German homeland through strategic bombing. They also did most of the work in defeating Japan.

>>34722986
>There's no big budget war movies about the heroes of eastern front who defended europe from the communists even though it was the most intense fighting in the war!
Ah, yes, the "heroes" who exterminated the population of Eastern Europe in the millions and then got your ass kicked which then let the Soviets walk all over Europe
>>
>>34721455
They did destroy a real Bf-109 I think
>>
Picky war nerd incaccuracies aside, it was an excellent film. I can't think of any better air battle cinematography that's ever been done, and I'm glad there weren't any central characters, war films in the last 20 years have always had a layer of sap to them to get you invested in, frankly, boring characters.
>>
>>34721535
learn to greentext newfag cuck
>>
File: disposal of a commie.jpg (67KB, 899x308px) Image search: [Google]
disposal of a commie.jpg
67KB, 899x308px
>>34723228
Hello there commie. Soviets murdered millions of their own people too and occupied murdered and raped their neighbouring countries. War is war. There is going to be civilian casualties on both sides. Anything else is propaganda.
>>
File: 1422657094914.jpg (368KB, 840x700px) Image search: [Google]
1422657094914.jpg
368KB, 840x700px
It sure reinforced my Navy-related phobias, that's for sure.
>eating jam + toast with qt3.14 brit nurse
>suddenly warcrime torpedo out of nowhere
>drown miserably in a tiny box with 200 other chaps
>>
>>34723234
Did the French guy end up drowning in the civvie ship? I didn't manage to figure it out and assumed so, since you don't see him again.
>>
File: 1499886254499.gif (294KB, 190x190px) Image search: [Google]
1499886254499.gif
294KB, 190x190px
>>34723299
worst part of the movie

made me incredibly uncomfortable
>>
File: KGPqDPz.jpg (569KB, 2746x1099px) Image search: [Google]
KGPqDPz.jpg
569KB, 2746x1099px
One thing that got me wondering after watching the movie was the sound made by the guns of the He.111, as they sounded like a cannon. But the dorsal and lateral armaments of the He.111 were not supposed to be machine guns?
>>
>>34723397
One of the He.'s has a autocannon mounted on the back. That's what I assumed was happening
>>
>>34722966
Oh, I've got that answer to this one. What is, the lend/lease program?
>>
>>34723301
I'm pretty sure that was him, because he didn't show up after that scene.

Also, was he actually french or was he a german mole? at the beginning it said "Mole: 1 Week", still don't quite know what that meant.
>>
>>34723436
The jetty they were docking at is called a mole, anon.
>>
>>34723436
If it was him, the whole scene before was pointless. If the directer wanted to kill him off, why didn't he just get the scottish soldier to shoot him in the argument.

It would've made sense, to show the audience, the reasoning of showing the Scot soldier burning in the sea oil fire.
>>
>>34723397
It was an oversight, aesthetic decision by the director.

>>34723415
Mid to Late He111s had 20mm in the nose or forward ventrical position. Rear-facing armament was almost always MG15s.
>>
>>34722274
He stopped taking a shit because he didn't want to do it next to a guy burying his friend, dipshit
>>
>>34723436
>at the beginning it said "Mole: 1 Week", still don't quite know what that meant.
They literally fucking talk about needing the mole cleared of ships so that it isn't blocked.
>>
>>34723597
That was what i thought, but I wasn't certain. Thanks for the clarification.
>>
>>34723861
>>34723534
Thanks for clearing that up for me
>>
I like how disjointed some of the cuts were so it feels like it's time skipping all over the place.

> Everyone is safely back home and on the train.
> They read a newspaper from the next morning while they're riding. It's all over.
SUDDENLY JUMP CUT
> The fucking plane is STILL gliding in a cut that makes it appear the plane has been gliding for 12 hours over the beach.

And some say he's still flying to this day.

Also I loved the modern beach front houses as he flys past them. Apparently he glided his plane all the way to 2017.
>>
>>34721259
Absolute shit
>>
>>34723186
So no action, no character development, just dudes standing on a beach. Cool.
>>
>>34722050

There's actual historical pictures of that, dude. It's fucking surreal.
>>
>>34721392
And does that a good film make? It was accurate but soulless and uninvolving. Get over yourself.
>>
>>34721674
>stukas drop their payload on the beach, and when they all get up the beach is untouched

That was accurate- the beach at Dunkirk had soft sand, and as a result, the smaller AP bombs had a reduced effect.
>>
>>34721401
Oh, that explains it. Any film that portrays the Nazis as the villains really gets /pol/'s blood pressure up.

How many tendies did it take to calm you down?
>>
>>34723570
No, it had an important point:

>don't jump the fucking queue

Tommy barely made it out because he broke that rule. Gibson didn't make it, because he did an even worse queue jump.
>>
>>34721492
No, he thinks you can make good movie out of war. Go watch Das Boot right fucking now and tell me Dumbkirk compares even slightly.
>>
>>34721305
I'd rather a period-incorrect real ship be in the film than an overly digitized piece of blockbuster schlock like Battleship.
>>
File: 1501071902655.png (1MB, 1240x869px) Image search: [Google]
1501071902655.png
1MB, 1240x869px
>>34721375
>t. salty kraut
missing some of that dunkirk spirit huh
>>
>>34724062
It was time jumping all over the place.
>>
>>34721401
Lol opinion immediately dropped when it became clear you didn't like it because it portrayed Nazis as villains, go back to your containment board faggot.
>>
File: 45343.jpg (65KB, 500x700px) Image search: [Google]
45343.jpg
65KB, 500x700px
>watch it in imax dolby atmos surround sound or some other high tech shit i dont know
>mfw one of the first scenes with stukas dropping bombs on the beach and the bomb blasts getting closer
the sound was so fucking on point
>>
>>34721259
The Stuka and Spitfire sounds gave me a boner in the theater, the sound mix was so loud it was amazing. I would definitely recommend seeing it in the theater, it will lose a lot of it's luster outside of one.
>>
>>34724062
>unironically not understanding the movie's structure
are you unironically 4 years old
>>
>the boat target practice scene

Pure fucking keno, movie had me quite literally on the edge of my seat in suspense
>>
>>34721290
don't worry i'm sure there be another Marvel movie along for you soon enough
>>
>>34724233
>boo hoo this film wasn't as good as arguaby the best war film to date

Pff why even make a historical film when Gladiator exists.

it shit all over American garbage like fury, red tails, uss indianapolis and hacksaw ridge.
>>
Many have said this film is a pleb filter. They're only half right. This film is also an autist filter. Only dumbasses and spergs can't understand it.
>>
>>34721468
>Director is a bong
>Actors are all bongs
>Hurr they should show germans instead!

I forget how retarded this board is at times.
>>
>>34721468
why not show it from the pov of russians, czechs, italians, greeks, turkish, indians, nigerians and innuits? While you're at it why not throw in a 10th century flashback that shows the town of dunkirk being founded?
>>
>>34721259
They didn't even bother to mention the 40 thousand French that sacrificed themselves so that they could live
>>
>>34726037
>Intro scene with french soldiers shown fighting in Dunkirk
>Scene with french soldiers attempting to board a ship
>French soldiers scattered amongst the british ones
>One of the protagonists turns out to be a french soldier
>The british commander mentions the french soldiers staying behind at the end
m9
>>
>>34726037
They didn't? Must've watched a different film to you
>>
>>34726085
>>34726080

Some people need to be explicitly told whats happening because they can't interpret things at face value. They can't survive without a voiceover explaining the plot and framing each scene for them.
>>
>>34724866
Depends what you are looking for in a movie.
>>
>>34724866
Bridge Over River Kwai
Enemy at the Gates
Patton
Saving Private Ryan
Laurence of Arabia
FUCKING Deer Hunter
Need I go on? What separates these from muh new, edgy Dunkirk? They're intensely personal and entertaining.
>>
>>34726521
Not really. A good film offers something for everyone.

Saving Private Ryan and to a lesser extent We Were Soldiers are excellent war films because they balance gripping combat scenes with emotional content, historical accuracy and something to reflect on - usually the futility of war.

Some of the classic WW2 films offer a lot in the way of emotional content with action taking a back seat, Das Boot and a Bridge too far being good examples.

Dunkirk tried ( and i believe succeeded) in capturing the different elements of the evacuation, I struggle to think of a war film that has dealt with helplessness so well.
>>
>>34726535
Patton is garbage.

Bridge over the river kwai, enemy at the gates, and Laurence of Arabia are not American films.

I should have clarified my point by saying recent American films. i'm not denying that there are good American war films, just that there has been nothing recently.
>>
>>34721305
>>34724261
If the modern Daring, the Type 45 destroyer, would appear off the shore of Dunkirk in 1940, would anything change, or would it get sunk in the first air raid?
>>
>>34722050
The 109's where colors that way so they would be easier to distinguish on camera.
>>
>>34726654

It could provide complete air defence for the evacuation, even after it's Aster missiles had run out it could use it's CIWS, 30mm's and 45. inch gun to provide more accurate AAA than anything available at the time.

It's helicopter(s) and sonar could provide complete protection against ww2 submarines.

If it's a type 45 from next year or later then it will also have laser CIWS so ammunition becomes even less of a problem - but who knows how maintenance heavy these things will be.

If the Germans tried to react with surface vessels the existing RN would deal with them, but if the T45 replaced the whole RN then harpoons would deal with the german surface ships.

The 4.5 inch gun could also provide accurate naval gunfire support deep inland.

The Merlin or 2X Lynx could also be used to ferry troops to transports.
>>
>>34726631
Was not even talking about American films, guy. Where are you getting that from? Apologize to Patton.
>>
>>34726282
Those people have ruined Hollywood.
Retards who can't sit still for an hour and half and actually watch the fucking movie are why all movies coming from Hollywood are focus tested to extreme blandness. The movie jews treat the audience like retards because most of them honestly are.
>>
>>34726597
I honestly don't think that historical accuracy is all that important.

They're not documentaries or some sort of reenactment.
>>
>>34726722
you were replying to my comment about (recent) american films, i assumed you meant American films.

sorry for the misunderstanding, can we still be friends?
>>
>>34726714
A single destroyer can do all that?
>>
File: dunkirk.jpg (55KB, 1200x844px) Image search: [Google]
dunkirk.jpg
55KB, 1200x844px
>>34722050
yeah nolan is such a fucking hack
>>
>>34721290
I also found it boring. It was well done for what it was, but watching retreating soldiers get btfo for 2 hours just doesnt appeal to me.
>go watch a marvel movie then xDDDDDDD
there are plenty of war movies that arent boring because they arent made about a giant retreat
>>
>>34726781
Please lurk more if you have no idea on the subject. Niggers like yourself are killing what /k/ used to be
>>
>>34726781
A modern one yes.

What would really win the war would be an Astute class sub. They could raise an ESM mast and snoop on German radio broadcasts until they learn the location of Hitler, then launch TLAM's to try and kill him.
>>
>>34726037
t. the viewer for whom the voiceovers in Blade Runner were recorded
>>
>>34726714

They can also carry 60 Royal Marine Commandos. They could land them with the rear guard to call in targets for gunfire support.

Not to mention how two platoons of modern elite infantry would do against troops and armour from WW2.
>>
>>34722138
Is Jarhead 3 not enough?
>>
>>34723842
>guy burying his friend

loved that twist...
>>
>>34726983
>Not to mention how two platoons of modern elite infantry would do against troops and armour from WW2.
They'd die, horribly. Infantry-level combat is the one place where the downtimers have an equal footing against the uptimers.
>>
>>34721699
You aren't supposed to drop the gear when landing in sand/uneven groung/crash landing. Increases the chance of the plane going over itself and injuring the pilot
>>
>>34727091
Not exactly. Modern troops are fitter, smarter (in WW2, they sent the worst to the infantry; today, the best volunteer for it) and have body armor, night vision, and thermals. And better smallarms, enabling faster suppression and more accurate hits.

The gap is closest in the infantry, but it's still noticeable.
>>
>>34727091
Except a modern day troop of Royal Marines can reliably engage and stop the enemy from ranges of 600 meters out, both day and night. In WW2, 90% of firefights happened under 200 meters away.

In a close combat environment, the fight is more equal, but still leaning heavily towards the modern day equivalent. This is due to everyone being equipped with rifles that can cycle both repetitive and selective. And a shitload more grenades.
>>
>>34724062
>jump cut
One of the most egregiously misused technical phrases on this website. Not everything is a 'jump cut'. Jump cut refers precisely to a shot of the same subject matter without a different shot between them. Like if I spliced two reels together of you looking like an idiot, but because they're different reels the viewer could see the 'jump' between them as you're blinking suddenly and not standing in the same spot once it transitions to the second one.

What you're referring to ARE NOT JUMP CUTS.
>>
>>34727141
And how, pray tell, will they handle the German armor and artillery surrounding Dunkirk?
>>
>>34723246
>Hello there commie.
>The Soviets would very likely have collapsed without American aid.

Pick one.
Are you retarded?
>>
File: Royal Marines Falklands 2015.jpg (512KB, 1600x1040px) Image search: [Google]
Royal Marines Falklands 2015.jpg
512KB, 1600x1040px
>>34727091
>Infantry-level combat is the one place where the downtimers have an equal footing against the uptimers.
everyone laugh at this idiot
>>
File: 1501579103380.jpg (40KB, 539x600px) Image search: [Google]
1501579103380.jpg
40KB, 539x600px
>>34721259
This is easily one of the most aesthetic scenes of WW2
>>
>>34723016
never see their faces though, they're blurred out as if the Germans are just an abstract force
>>
>>34727164
With their standard issue anti tank weapons, NLAW and Javelin.

The Germans would shit the bed when they start taking casualties at 4KM+
>>
>>34727164
The marines have AT weapons and their own mortars and with the help of the destroyer? Did you suddenly forget it was there? It could hit armor with pinpoint accuracy from quite a distance.

Are you retarded?
>>
>>34727214
I am erect at the thought of the Germans shitting their pants at the sight of missiles coming down from the sky with no enemies in sight.
>>
File: Royal Marine HMS Wellington.jpg (864KB, 2622x3942px) Image search: [Google]
Royal Marine HMS Wellington.jpg
864KB, 2622x3942px
>>34727164
>what are javelins
>what are LASMs
>what are GMGs
>what are HMGs
>what are mortars
We weren't even talking about how effective they'd be in Dunkirk, but how effective they'd be against WW2 tier infantry, you autist
>>
>>34727091
By doctrine, there are more machine guns in a modern light rifle platoon than there were in a ww2 rifle company.

But sure, folks using M1s, 1919s, and assorted sub-guns could totally hold up against m4s, m249s, and m240s.
>>
>>34727229
The Germans have more tanks than the destroyer has missiles though
>>
>>34727273
Putting aside the fact that the armour was given the order to halt.

the German commanders are not going to continue committing tanks to an area where they are taking huge losses with no enemy to engage.

The AW50's used extensively by the RN and RM should also have little issue with pzIII/IV
>>
>>34727299
Can they shoot down the missiles with their tank guns
>>
>>34727343
no.
>>
File: stop fucking saying words.png (706KB, 570x793px) Image search: [Google]
stop fucking saying words.png
706KB, 570x793px
>>34727343
>missiles
>being countered by tank guns in anywhere approaching a reliable fashion
>>
>>34726983

What is 60 men in the royal marines? you said two platoons. is that two platoons of 30 with 15 in a squad?? three squads of 10?
>>
>>34722242
Atonement, being a fucking love story; really did do a much better job of portraying Dunkirk in all of what? 5 minutes?
>>
>>34727373
kill yourself
>>
Why didnt bane bail out after shooting down the stuka...when he was out of gas over the troops?
>>
File: 1501069444323.gif (414KB, 500x212px) Image search: [Google]
1501069444323.gif
414KB, 500x212px
>>34721259
It was really boring and they kept repeating the same shit.
There wasn't a single fucking gun fight and the acting was extremely sub par.
The dog fights were boring.
3/10, seriously.
>>
>>34726771
Aw, I could never stay mad at you!
>>
>>34727386

Two platoons of 24.

Each platoon has three squads of 8.

Each squad is made up of two fire teams.

These two platoons total 48 men.

you could also attach two heavy anti tank (javelin) teams of two men each.

Then two mortar teams of two men equipped with 81mm mortars.

The remaining 4 men would probably comprise a command fire team of a company commander, radio operator, rifleman and grenadier.

Or you could assume that a platoon commander was in overall command and the remaining 4 men could create some form of medical, anti tank, mortar, fire support, recon or sniper teams
>>
>>34727404

too low altitude was my guess
>>
>>34727404

Safer to land on the long flat beach than bail out at low altitude.
>>
>>34721850
Yeah this did annoy me, the 'bombs' dropped for in dramatic effect, rather than being realistic, which was a shame as the first bombing run was quite accurate, with the line of explosions.
>>
>>34723397
Yeah I heard that, really off putting, and the .303 brownings on the spits sounded far too fast to be accurate.
>>
>>34726892
Holy fuck this.
>>
>>34727174
Except there was no fucking engine block in the damn plane.
Literally Nolan could have just put a 12 tin cans in there and it would have looked better than that.
>>
>>34727273
You realize it still has the 4.5 inch right?
Which will just absolutely fuck any WW2 era armor.
>>
>>34727132
>The best volunteer for infantry
El oh el
>>34727254
They would do fine when there's a division of them against a light company.
>>
File: 20170513_195523.jpg (74KB, 360x289px) Image search: [Google]
20170513_195523.jpg
74KB, 360x289px
>>34721259
It was okay. I would say I enjoyed it. It was not Nolan Bravo's best work. I find it relied on cheap tick-tock background music and stale shots to make it seem dramatic. Remove the tick-tock and cut the stale scenes short (the ones where you're just waiting for what you know will happen to happen) and I think it would've been a better movie.
>>
>>34724201
I noticed the movie didn't actually have a single nazi character until the very end when Tom Hardy got surrounded by them
>>
>>34727241
I don't think 60 of them would do much alone.
>>
File: 3e2.jpg (15KB, 480x712px) Image search: [Google]
3e2.jpg
15KB, 480x712px
>Watch Dunkirk in 70mm imax
>Movie ends
>Audience starts clapping
I thought it was just an /int/ meme
>>
So, this is a /k/-/tv/ thread?
I've been wondering about Day of the Jackal rifle. Which rifle was used as a base for the movie gun? How hard would it be to make a replica of similar characteristics and which could be disassembled in the same way?
>>
>>34727850
In Russia people do clap if the movie is really good. They don't clap at something like typical popcorn superhero action
>>
>>34727650
>They would do fine when there's a division of them against a light company.
Holy shit goalposts.

Just admit that, pound for pound, modern Infantry, even light infantry, would completely btfo a comparable unit from nearly 80 years ago. If they couldn't, why have all those mg's, nods, and thermals in the first place?
>>
>>34727390
>5 minutes?
Less; 4:58.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QijbOCvunfU&t=82s
>>
>>34721340
>automatically assuming someone is a pleb who only appreciates mainstream retardation

Nolan is way overrated and he is not that far off from being a hack. He's not a fucking genius. As far as war movies go I preferred The Thin Red Line.
>>
>>34726085
Not that they didn't, but to Nolan they were just a detail while all the focus was on the brits. Yet on the 300 000 something survivors, 140 000 were french. 11 000 casualties and 35 000 prisonners on the french side too, 20 000 casualties on the german side etc etc

To american directors, europe and WW2 is always a playground and the reality of the era a mere abstraction that you can put in the background ala Saving Private Ryan while someone/something saves the day and everyone is happy hereafter, the end.

>brit pilot
>brit plane
>brit ships
>brit navy
>brit civilians
>brit dialogues
>a few anthipathic french soldiers faces here and there
>but fuck accuracy right, myths and romanticised shit ad nauseam makes everyone feel good right
>>
>>34728140
Here's the thing you don't get.
Nolan is directing a movie about the British soldiers being evacuated in Dunkirk, he isn't making a documentary about Dunkirk. He doesn't NEED to include all that bullshit except as background flavour, such as the French soldiers holding off the Germans, and the French being denied entry on to the hospital ship. If the frogs are so butthurt, they can make their own movie about the brave French soldiers sacrificing themselves so their allies can fight another day.
>>
>>34721486
Was getting captured part of his plan?
>>
>>34728140
You notice you never see a single German through the whole movie? Sure you see planes and such, but throught the whole movie they act as an almost unseen force, the closest thing to seeing an actual German was right at the end, and it was only blurred outline. Matter of fact, they almost never say "German" either. They're always referred as the enemy.
>>
>>34721368
French forces, Royal Fleet and RAF would be enough, thank you. After all, it was few dozens of destroyers, hundreds of planes and what we've got just does not represent the scale of events.
>>
>>34729008
You're a fucking autist.
>>
>>34727412
Maybe watch the new transformers instead
>>
>>34721818
Saw it on imax as well but didn't get into it as much. I could've used more dialogue. Get to know the characters on a personal level.
>>
>>34727784
Depends where you put them, look at how much trouble some stubborn Kraut paratroopers gave the allies at monte cassino
>>
>>34721372
>>34721305
>Stukas don't dive properly
>>
Why do you think Nolan chose to not show any German soldiers at all?

Was it some sort of moral superiority about not wanting to glorify muh evil Nazis or something more artistic than that?

It gave me the feeling of the Germans being a sort of "monster under the bed" enemy. More of a concept than an actual enemy. Like if you have a wasp in the room, but you can see it, it's not a big deal because you know it's not near you and you can plan on how to handle the situation. But instead of that it's like there's a wasp in the room you can't see. You don't know what to do or how to deal with it. It's just panic and desperation.
>>
>>34723299
>warcrime torpedo

Thats not how it works retard.
>>
>>34729661
>Wasp in my room
>Panic and desperation
Pussy leftist.
>>
>>34723299
The burning oil slick was pretty bad too. My dad had an old guy he worked with that was a merchant marine. His boat got torpedoed and he had to jump into the oil slick, got all burned up and nearly drowned trying to out swim it
>>
>>34724313
Fuckn this.
I got chills when the Stukas did a bombing run
>>
File: k-movies.jpg (138KB, 1024x948px) Image search: [Google]
k-movies.jpg
138KB, 1024x948px
>>34721259
>>
File: k-movies2.jpg (1011KB, 2827x2864px) Image search: [Google]
k-movies2.jpg
1011KB, 2827x2864px
>>34731557
here ya go dawg
>>
It isn't like thin red line is it?
>>
File: ofuk.jpg (345KB, 869x1218px) Image search: [Google]
ofuk.jpg
345KB, 869x1218px
>yfw "im on him"
>>
>>34729685
Torpedoing hospital ships is a no no.

"Although attacking a hospital ship is a war crime, belligerent navies have the right to board such ships for inspections."
>>
>>34727908
>If they couldn't, why have all those mg's, nods, and thermals in the first place?
taxpayer money
MIC
>>
>>34731705
Tell that to the USN when they torpedoed multiple IJN hospital ships on multiple occasions.
>>
>>34727784
>1 (one) troop of british paratroopers managed to hold off an entire SS panzer division at Arnhem
>>
>>34731763
Were they marked with red crosses or crescents?
>>
>>34727174
>burning a antique literal ww2 piece for a movie
why tho nolan
why
>>
>>34729661
Nolan does not give a fuck about politics. It was an artistic choice.
>>
>>34730224
Hahahahahahahaha How The Fuck Is Burning Oil Real Hahahaha Nigga Just Go Underwater Like Nigga Dive Haha
>>
>>34727908
I didn't move any goal posts. The question was how they'd fare at Dunkirk. They'd do a disproportionate amount of damage but pure numbers would win that fight.
>>
>>34721259

>Literally no black people served in ww2:the movie

Historically inaccurate garbage
>>
>>34726535
>Enemy at the gates
>Patton
You should fucking kill yourself on that alone, enemy at the gates, Jesus fucking christ
>>
>>34734210
you actually see a couple of black frenchmen near the start
>>
>>34734210

>confirmed for not having seen the film
>>
>>34729685
Unrestricted submarine warfare is a no-no anon. They were going to try Karl Dönitz at the war crime trials because of it, but it turns out the USN did it too, so they let him go.
>>
>>34724201
>>34724295
Reaching pretty hard with 0 information there friends, stay bitter and keep screaming because someone doesn't like what you like.
>>
It was painfully british

The spitfire wank got on my nerves and became an ongoing joke with my friend and i while we were watching

Like where the spitfires come up behind the old guy's boat, and the old guy is like "SPITFIRE" and the kid goes "You didn't even look how did you know?" and he said something something merlin engines

I could feel some old British man wiping a single tear from his eye somewhere an ocean away.

But no it was good, it really suffered from it's pg-13 rating, too clean for a war movie.
>>
>>34727164
not that guy, but 40mm HEDP grenades can punch through 50-71mm of RHA
>>
>>34735061

The Spitfire stuff is the most realistic air combat i've seen in a film. Putting aside the glide kill at the end.

I'd far rather have real aircraft manoeuvring than red tails handbrake turns and people taking 30mm's to the chest while continuing to fly.
>>
>>34735302

No the spitfire combat was great, i enjoyed all the scenes with them and the pilots, im more talking about the old man and yeah the gliding bit at the end was stupid
>>
>>34731665

Malick was reaching with the Thin Red Line. It's pure kino that wasn't really suitable for mass market. Sadly we'll probably never get a 4hr long directors cut.

Dunkirk is clearly influenced by TRL, but with almost 20 years of hindsight it's been dumbed down for the average audience.
>>
>>34721259
it was retarded
>>
>>34735061
I mean, his other son flew a spitfire before he died didn't he? It makes sense that he'd know what it was. And as other people have said, the audience is retarded and needs to be told everything.
>>
>>34732008
It was a prop, if the lack of an engine block wasn't a big enough giveaway.
>>
>>34734504
Lol really?
>>
>>34735061
I loved that part desu
modern british filmmakers don't really go for that overt patriotism anymore
>>
>>34739283
3 colonials are stuck in the background while a white frenchman argues with a british soldier over letting them on board the ship.
they're actually african looking too, instead of the usual african-american 1/16th black chocolate milk ass nigga that usually gets put in.
>>
Great cinematography, serious structural issues with the story, and an oppressively grating soundtrack.
>>
>>34739346
>serious structural issues with the story
How?
Just because it isn't a chronologically linear narrative structure? I found it really easy to follow, especially since they had those title cards at the beginning spelling it out for you.
>oppressively grating soundtrack
woah...almost as if...they're in a stressful situation
damn...
>>
>>34739388
Even if you completely understood the setup for the non-linear storytelling despite the somewhat ambiguous title cards, the transitions between stories were laid out poorly and the whole thing end up clunky as shit.
>>
>>34739388
the disjoint chronology added nothing to the film besides making me watch a shitty boat explode 3 times instead of once
>>
>>34739471
this, at some point I couldn't tell if we were supposed to be seeing the same boat explode or if Nolan was just trying to get his money's worth out of an expensive rolling set
>>
File: 1496147705666.png (690KB, 850x464px) Image search: [Google]
1496147705666.png
690KB, 850x464px
>>34739471
>the disjoint chronology added nothing to the film

The point of the non-linear narrative structure was to get across that the evacuation took place over the course of a week. That was the whole point of the one week / one day / one hour thing. The soldier was trying to escape for a week straight, the boat look a day to cross the channel, and the Spitfire sortie lasted only an hour.

That way we have time to invest ourselves in the characters, rather than the movie starting with a bunch of guys jumping in an abandoned tugboat that gets shot full of holes while the tide comes in, then getting picked up by a boat that shows up half way through, only to be saved by a spitfire at the very end.
>>
>>34729661
I liked that decision to be honest, agree with you second point more than your first.

I mean, he showed He-111 and Me-109s. The fact that you don't see any Germans gave more of an impression that they could be anywhere. The scene where they go get the boat stranded on the beach comes to mind in this aspect, it felt like there were germans just over that berm on the edge of the beach.

I like that they movie went with a more artistic approach rather than just being an action movie that takes place during WWII like so many other movies have done. The beginning was also fucking great.
>>
File: 1451159271499.png (345KB, 406x380px) Image search: [Google]
1451159271499.png
345KB, 406x380px
>>34739440
>despite the somewhat ambiguous title cards
Are you a sped?
Literally how can you get confused by
>The Mole: 1 Week
>The Boat: 1 Day
>The Fighter: 1 Hour
>>
>>34723234
Mostly this. I liked the disorientation and tension of never seeing the enemy.

Top notch film.
>>
>>34721290
t. brainlet
>>
>>34726796
>english people in queues, 1940 (uncolorized)
>>
>>34722050
>destroyer

yeah what a hack, not using a real prewar destroyer.
>>
>>34729661
>Why do you think Nolan chose to not show any German soldiers at all?
Mostly to create tension and remove agency from the characters on screen. It already is a hopeless retreat, making the enemy an unseen malevolent force deepens the hopelessness.
>>
>>34731763
Japs never signed the Geneva or Hague Conventions, so the protections offered to them by such conventions do not apply to them.
>>
>>34739278
They took it out.
>>
>>34739314
>Messieur just let us on board hon hon hon
>Those spear tossing fuzzies are with you, you tosser?
>Yes messieur they are my best friends like baguette and cheese are you see hon hon hon
>Well then get fucked you coon loving cheese eating surrender monkey wanker

I think this scene went a bit too far for my taste tbqh
>>
>>34721259
>don't do shit but get spared by the Germans and flee
Yeah real heroes these guys..
>>
>>34721401
Accurate.

>>34724201
>>34724295
MUH POL BOOGEYMAN WHY WONT THEY LEAVE ME ALONE
Keep crying bitch nigger. Keep crying.
>>
>>34722126
t. guy who has never been to Hawaii.
>>
>>34740261
>Japs never signed the Geneva or Hague Conventions
They did sign, but did not ratify it.
>Japan did sign the Geneva Convention but, like the USSR, failed to ratify it, so was not bound by the laws. However, in 1942 Japan made a promise to abide by its terms and indicated it would observe the Hague Convention of 1907.

Also, diferent from what other anon said, japs did mark and identified their hospital ships.
>>
what film
Thread posts: 231
Thread images: 28

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.