[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sup, /k/, /tg/ here. Gotta question for yas. I'm adapting

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 3

File: 1223621016951.jpg (262KB, 791x1051px) Image search: [Google]
1223621016951.jpg
262KB, 791x1051px
Sup, /k/, /tg/ here. Gotta question for yas.

I'm adapting Anno Dracula to WW1 for a tabletop game. tl;dr - Dracula's serving Kaiser Wilhelm, vampires are out of the casket, and the "new born" are uncommon but tolerated. Both sides have them, both sides use silver on the battlefield to kill them.

Which is where the question comes in. If WW1-era forces regularly needed silver bullets, how would they field them? Would they be (relatively) inexpensive enough to use in MG emplacements? Would you pick an infantryman or two per squad to carry a magazine of silver rounds?

I can just make some shit up, but I figured it might as well get some grounding in reality.
>>
>>34718021
>/tg/ here
transgender?
>>
>>34718021
>Would they be (relatively) inexpensive enough to use in MG emplacements?
Shit no. Stuff was 10DM an ounce in 1920, from what I just googled.

>Would you pick an infantryman or two per squad to carry a magazine of silver rounds?
Yes. Get your Alvin Yorks to take out the spooks. More cost effective that way. Problem is silver doesn't affect vampires.
>>
File: 1500858330252.jpg (61KB, 493x449px) Image search: [Google]
1500858330252.jpg
61KB, 493x449px
>>34718021
What the fuck are you talking about?
>>
>>34718021
>that high capacity assault break action O/U rifle
It's so fucking stupid I kinda love it.
>>
>silver
>vampires
Somewhere a mythologist is in anguish and doesn't know why. It would be better if the bullets were engraved with crosses and dipped in holy water.
>>
>>34718021
Wouldn't it just be more cost effective for a Cardinal to mass bless weapons? It takes a buttload of rounds to realistically kill one combatant, even with snipers in trenches. It wouldn't really be feasible unless they found a way to manufacture synthetic silver, which is probably too far advanced for the period.
>>
>>34718093
>>Problem is silver doesn't affect vampires.
It does in Anno Dracula. Fucks 'em right up, at least the new borns.

Becoming a vampire is a very mixed bag. You have to put up with a serious addiction and severe allergies to silver and sunlight, but in return get an assortment of random traits (influenced by bloodline, fast healing is common but NOT guaranteed) and theoretical immortality. Over time you accrue more strengths and fewer weaknesses; if you can reach a century you'll be a badass, but good luck getting there.
>>
>>34718021
>magazine
nobody should have magazines, anon
>>
>>34718270
Mythos isn't really a set in stone thing. Largely werewolves and vampires weren't even rigorously regarded as distinct creatures until modern times.
>>
>>34718021
Give Hans, Cletus, or Eustace a bolt-action rifle built akin to the 1918 T-Gewehr fed manually through the action. Five to ten loose rounds on their person, and a sidearm befitting their nationality or insanity.
>>
>>34718270
>>34718302

Religious stuff doesn't do shit. The first book is set in Britain: Stoker's novel was historical except that Dracula BTFO van Helsing, vamped Queen Victoria and ruled the country as a bloody tyrant until he was overthrown.

More people objected to his rule on the basis that he was Catholic, than that he was a vampire.
>>
>>34718336
Fine, "clips," whatever.
>>
>>34718371
Well, we answered your question of it being impossibly cost ineffective, so you've got to give us the actual low down on what these vampires are weak to so we can come up with an easily mass produced counter.

How are these vampires used in combat? I'm betting they wouldn't be as much of a force multiplier as you're thinking they are.

t. Fellow fa/tg/uy
>>
File: 42GammaMorser.jpg (124KB, 660x562px) Image search: [Google]
42GammaMorser.jpg
124KB, 660x562px
>>34718021

WW1 combat was heavily centered around artillery.
>>
>>34718021
>Would you pick an infantryman or two per squad to carry a magazine of silver rounds?
yes

but mostly silver bayonets and garlic gas shells
>>
>>34718021
Can these Vampires be killed by high explosives or shrapnel?
>>
>>34718482
Anon, everything can be killed with artillery and shrapnel.
>>
>>34718416
Weak to sunlight, weak to silver. Either is death to a newborn, a hindrance to an elder (> 100), and an annoyance to an ancient (> 1000). But grievous enough injury, like an artillery shell to the face of any of them, will be all she wrote.

The book (Anno Dracula: the Bloody Red Baron) mentions silver nitrate mixed in with the mustard gas, but it's focused more on the air battles than the ground.
>>
>>34718505
Are you trying to figure out how they'd be fielded, too?
>>
>>34718505
It seems like the most viable way to use vampires in combat would to use them in night raids, slipping across no-mans land and then causing havoc in the trenches in the dark of night, assuming they can see in the dark.
>>
>>34718528
The artillery and gas? Same as our own WW1, I assume.

The air battles were allied vampires flying planes too high to be tolerated by human pilots, fighting German vampires transformed into giant bats with engines and guns strapped to them.
>>
>>34718584
I was meaning vampires, especially if you're going after an infantry spin.
>>
>>34718564
That, or using them as shock troops right after an artillery/gas barrage. Of course, then you'd just have opposing squads of vamps duking it out, which would make silver a viable weapon then. They could have silver bayonets attached to shotguns for stabbing leaches and clearing trenches, respectively.
>>
>>34718584
This is a bit belated but, am I the only one thinking "if I was a vampire there's no way in hell you could get me to fight in fucking WWI"? Conscripts were typically kept in line by the literal threat of death. For mr. Vampy, getting shot or hanged doesn't sound like that much of a threat compared to sustained artillery barrage. Not sure I see the point in risking life everlasting.
>>
>>34718661
I'd suspect that they would be allowed to feed on opposing soldiers, and would use this in a means to make a name for themselves for all intents and purposes.
>>
Didn't the German squads mix in heavy weapons with their infrantrymen, rather than having dedicated squads? Would it make sense to apportion vampires that way too?
>>
>>34718661
I'm guessing Vampires are patriotic chaps, they just drink blood.
>>
>>34718700
>I'm guessing Vampires are patriotic chaps, they just drink blood.
you mean like jefferson's tree of liberty?
>>
>>34718661
Vampires aren't monsters, they're still people. They're patriots and traitors, heroes and cowards same as any other group.

>>34718676
Did WW1 armies eat opposing soldiers irl?
>>
>>34718745
Cannibalism's definitely possible to have happened back then. The front wasn't too well off, though I'd suspect when you literally have a blood-drinking vampire enlisting, you'd make exceptions so that you could create a better soldier.
>>
>>34718371
What book was this?
>>
>>34718685

In WW1, German infantry divisions tended to have more machine guns per regiment other armies involved in the war. Because of this and other factors, Germany infantry tended to have much lower casualty rates than their Entente counter-parts, especially during the early years of the war. Tactics also played a large role in this. French commanders in particular were indoctrinated to believe in "the cult of the offensive" which basically said that if you can attack, you must attack, and if you can't attack, you must hold your ground no matter what, never retreating or pulling back under any circumstances. This philosophy led them to sacrifice absurdly large numbers of troops in suicidal offensives against entrenched German soldiers. This dogmatic insistence on always attacking and never retreating very nearly caused France to lose the war simply because they were losing too many soldiers.
>>
>>34718813
Anno Dracula, by Kim Newman.

Fantastic world building, but a pain in the ass to read because he's the kind of author who throws in every single period reference he possibly can. Maybe the protagonist is an original character, everyone else, from Jekyll to Moriarty to Varney the Motherfucking Vampire, is stolen from contemporaneous literature. It gets old really quickly.
>>
>>34718685
Not really, because the vampires strength is resilience and actual, physical strength. It would be much more effective to have dedicated companies of vampires used to spearhead offensives. Unless you made them dedicated officers, so that it would be much harder for them to be killed and thus they could lead troops through entire battles without fear of losing leadership. In theory of course.

Did OP fuck off already?
>>
Silver tipped bayonet, trench knives? are they stronger than the average human in your lore? would actual wood pikes be effective?
>>
>Trusting your average troop will actually use the expensive silver boolits you gave him instead of just pocketing them with plans of selling them after the war
Silver is expensive, would be pretty fucking stupid to just throw them to random troops and machine gunner who would either steal them or just miss with them.
I could see a few special forces like regiments armed with handguns and shotguns with silver bullets and pellets.
>>
>>34719252
Fucked off to bed, I'm not a vampire.

I like your officer idea. It fits with the books, in which some people want vampires promoted at every available opportunity and are in constant political conflict with those who have to remind them that sort of thing's a short trip to cold stake.

>>34721238
Cut off the head, or pierce the heart, or otherwise deal enough major organ damage and the vampire will be dead before it can regenerate, even without silver.

In-game (Savage Worlds), I'm representing that with the Hardy trait. Normally you can take someone down with enough minor blows, but with Hardy you need a crit to really injure them.

So if there were a squad of dedicated vampire shock troops going over the wall, what defensive options would be available in response? Could/would they call in an artillery strike on their own trench? Could they have a can of silver nitrate/ mustard gas with a pin that says "pull in case of vampires?" Or would they have to rely on any vampires among their own forces, hope someone has silver bullets, or try to suppress them with regular ammunition until someone can get in close with a bayonet?

While I've got your ear, are there any good WW1 movies that show the tactics and terminology in a more narrative manner than I'd get just from reading Wikipedia? Most Great War Films are about how shitty it was to be a piece of meat hiding in a trench at the bottom of the grinder.
>>
>>34718021
Do they have to be solid silver, or could they be silver plated? So just regular FMJ electroplated with a thin coat of silver would be barely any more expensive than regular rounds, so much so you could (probably) issue them to every MG, if you wanted
>>
>>34721985
I don't know of a movie, but Storm of Steel is an excellent book worth reading, it gives great insight into trench warfare.

If you go with shock troops, the best way to counter that would probably be shotguns, since at close range they tear shit up, or have dedicated squads of vamps sitting near the front for rapid reaction deployment.

Officers would be cool because opposing companies would get to see some sweet ass duels between officers, a la Warhammer Fantasy.
>>34721997
Would they be able to reliably do this in WWI? Mass produce silver plated rounds?
>>
>>34718021
Use holy water artillery shells
>>
>>34718311
>Becoming a vampire is a very mixed bag. You have to put up with a serious addiction and severe allergies to silver and sunlight, but in return get an assortment of random traits (influenced by bloodline, fast healing is common but NOT guaranteed) and theoretical immortality. Over time you accrue more strengths and fewer weaknesses; if you can reach a century you'll be a badass, but good luck getting there.
Linear Humans, Quadratic Vampires.
>>
What about the vampires or the pillar men from jojo's bizarre adventure. They're litterally only weak to sunlight, and fire they cant be killed any other way. Machine guns wouldn't do anything.
>>
>>34722116
I don't think electroplating is particulalry complicated I'm not an expert or anything but I would suppose at the economies of scale that WWI production entailed, electroplating bullets would probably add only a marginal increase in the cost.
>>
>>34722574
A quick search tells me that not only was it possible, but that it expanded exponentially during the world wars.

Now how much is enough? How pure does it have to be? I think you're on to something here.
>>
>>34722875
electroplating silver has been done since the 1800's. The item being plated needs to be very clean, but otherwise with the right solution its an easy process.

You can also plate silver by putting an item in tollens reagent and adding Glucose/Dextrose, tollens is silver nitrate and ammonia. This could be an ad hoc, expedient in the field method of making them, like soldiers could do in the trenches
>>
>>34718021
How powerful are these lower vampires? I guess if they were pretty dangerous but not incredibly common soldiers could be given a small amount of anti-vampire rounds, kinda like early anti tank rounds for infantry rifles. If the vampires are even hardier than that perhaps specialized anti-vampire troops could exist, akin to those who would lug around the large anti tank rifles except with a number of silver rather than steel cores bullets
>>
>>34722947
That would be the earliest solution probably, with the next step being small scale implementation, and then mass production. We might see a middle ground early on of vampire hunting squads that roam around at night (presumably being vampires themselves)

Could make for some cool gameplay, sneaking and breeki-ing around enemy trench lines, or having a bunch of vamp goons bust into your trench while you're having your nightly tea.
>>
>>34718336
non-detachable magazines were had by all major combat rifles you fuckwit, don't confuse the issue with your misplaced confidence in your ignorance.
>>
>>34723426
>*passes u a mag*
>Private Fuckwit, why are you carrying around internal magazines?
>anon said we carry around spare magazines because magazines are in our guns
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.