[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /k/, just getting into archery as of late and I've decided

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_3348.jpg (33KB, 800x522px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3348.jpg
33KB, 800x522px
Hey /k/, just getting into archery as of late and I've decided that I want a bow that is good for both target practice and hunting. Is there a good draw weight capable of taking a deer, but not so heavy as to be inconvenient to use for practice? I also am not considering compound bows.
>>
File: TradArch.png (962KB, 559x668px) Image search: [Google]
TradArch.png
962KB, 559x668px
>>34713352
Samick Sage. You need at least 40# to take down a deer, but considering you're new, begin with ~25# limbs, and work yourself up. That means that once you get good at 25, you get the 30# limbs and so on. A thumb of rule is that if you're new to bowhunting, you'll be spending this year practicing , and the next year hunting.
Watch NuSensei, primitivesurvival etc. for some tips.
And this guide: http://www.bestrecurvebowguide.com/tuning-your-recurve-bow-part-1/
>>
>>34713579
Same guy here. You'll also invest in more than the bow, like finger tabs/gloves, armguards, string nocks, and equipment needed to set the string nock. You'll also have to purchase something to fire the arrow off, whether that's an elevated arrow rest or the shelf covered with leather. The best tip is to ask around at the local archery store or club, but avoid general sporting and hunting stores, as they now close to nothing about this.
If that's not possible, then feel free to ask more around here and other places on the internet.
>>
>>34713579
>but considering you're new, begin with ~25# limbs

Please stick to this Anon's advice. I've seen too many people crippling their own progress by trying to prove how tough they are and picking draw weights way too high for them.
The most important thing to practice as a beginner is technique, and you'll only get that down by constantly practicing it, which means many repetitions. The additional strength to switch to higher draw weights without seeing your technique suffer comes as a byproduct all on its own.
>>
>>34713352
>>34713579
Go with his advice OP. Even though the Samic Sage is a Reddit tier meme bow it's a fairly good deal for Archer's that don't know what style they're interested in yet. New limbs are easily available and it has all the attachment points for a sight, plunger, stabilizers and arrow rests. I consider it a jack of all trades and master of none kind of bow. It's not consistent enough to be a good target bow, it's a little too long to make a good hunting bow, and it's not pretty enough to be a good traditional bow.
>>
>>34713352
It's more about shot placement than stopping power.
>>
File: 1501393227080.gif (977KB, 400x318px) Image search: [Google]
1501393227080.gif
977KB, 400x318px
>>34713579
This guy knows what up.
>>
>>34713579
>>34713617
>>34715213

id say start with a 45, 25 is brand fucking new 10 year old who has never shot before
you will replace 25 within a week.
>>
>>34713352
I used to hunt boar with ~35lb
>>
>>34713352
>not considering compound bows

Yeah...well... the fucking off because you clearly don't want the best of both worlds - hunting and training

Every recurve bow that's sufficient for hunting will be hard for training - at first. So you train fewer, become a worse hunter.
No thanks
>>
>>34720312
You went after boar with a kid'so bow??
>>
>>34720369
also with the cheapest available wood shafts and ribteks
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.