[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Cleaning, Lube, and Rust prevention for AR-15s. Hey /k/ whats

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_0772.jpg (1MB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0772.jpg
1MB, 2592x1936px
Cleaning, Lube, and Rust prevention for AR-15s.
Hey /k/ whats the BEST solvent, lube, and rust inhibitor for your AR-15. Also,
1. What parts will rust on an AR-15? Do you need to even treat the barrel and handguards as well or just the internals
2. Who here uses grease on their BCG instead of lube? I have been thinking about starting to use that instead because ballistal seems to dry up really quick.
>>
>>34713018
Idk what the best is, but CLP works great for me
>>
>>34713018
1: modern AR-15s rarely NEED to be cleaned. Modern (quality) parts won't rust under normal circumstances but a thin layer of oil before storage is helpful.
All you need to do is just wipe off the carbon fouling and apply some lube.

2: A thicker oil, like 10w30, holds up well but it's not really necessary. The grease will get dirty quick and trap all the fouling.

My advice: Just wipe down the parts with a towel, run a few patches down the barrel, and use a little lube to keep it running.
For long term storage: a thin layer of oil over all metal parts.
>>
>>34713113
Thanks anon, so there is no real reason to ever oil anything that sees normal use?

Ive heard good things about battle born HP oil and grease. I use ballistal now, but like i said, it dries up fast.
>>
>>34713141
If you're using ballistal youre doing enough.
>>
>>34713197
>If you're using ballistal youre doing enough.
cool thanks for the help anon.
>>
>>34713018
If storing for the short term (under a year), thin layer of oil on all metal

Otherwise I just put CLP on the parts of the BCG that show wear.
>>
File: 1498844543008.jpg (85KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
1498844543008.jpg
85KB, 800x600px
>>34713141
>>34713197
>ballistol
>>
>>34713276
>I'm spraying my guns with saltwater and leaving them outside
>>
>>34713276
Yea i have seen this already, I don't use ballistal as a rust inhibitor. Its simply a solvent/ lube for me. I was just wondering if there was more I should be doing to ensure my AR doesn't rust.
>>
>>34713424
Using proper oil and not liquid German shit.
>>
>>34713018
Use FMO-350-AW and SFL-0. An AR-15 shouldn't rust, the only steel parts are the BCG and the barrel. The bolt carrier and the barrel should both have chrome lined/nitrocarburized bores (and even if not, these particular alloys of steel are fairly corrosion resistant).
>>
>>34713707
Whats the difference between using grease vs lube on a BCG?

Also, have you used battle born yet? I heard great things but honestly, there are so many lubes people rave about
>>
Just bought my first rifle. Does it need to be cleaned only after I shoot it or before I go to the range? Is there a difference between living and cleaning?
>>
File: AR-15LubePoints.jpg (451KB, 800x1678px) Image search: [Google]
AR-15LubePoints.jpg
451KB, 800x1678px
>>34714732
you should lube it before the range. Also, it deff doesn't need to be cleaned every time you shoot unless you rarely shoot and are shooting corrosive ammo
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.