[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is anyone here familiar with real knight armor? I'm thi

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 6

File: o.jpg (20KB, 239x391px) Image search: [Google]
o.jpg
20KB, 239x391px
Is anyone here familiar with real knight armor? I'm thinking of buying this one but was this even historically accurate? It's described as a Templar knight armor, but didn't the Templars only wear chain mail, not full plated armor? Did anyone actually wear armor like this in the past?

https://medieval-armour.com/medieval-armour/functional-armour/templar-armour-arm-t1-html
>>
>>34698565
it looks as an armor of some teutonic order knight how they are portrayed in children's books
>>
The rest of the armor is solid, except that helmet, get a bassinet or salet. I believe the Templars were an organization until the 1300's, which is when plate started getting popular. It's not historically accurate, but it's a nice suit. Overall I'd rate it a 7/10.
>>
to add to it, the teutonic cross should be black iirc
>>
File: 49.jpg (69KB, 440x660px) Image search: [Google]
49.jpg
69KB, 440x660px
also pic related
>>
File: teutonic.jpg (108KB, 500x744px) Image search: [Google]
teutonic.jpg
108KB, 500x744px
>>34698614
>teutonic order knight

They didn't wear plate armor either
>>
File: knight1170.jpg (121KB, 715x966px) Image search: [Google]
knight1170.jpg
121KB, 715x966px
>>34698565
Not even remotely close.

that.... thing.
well, its not Templar. its a mashup of all sorts of shit. the shield is fantasy. they were not made of metal. real heater shields are wood linen, leather and gesso. and then painted.

the helmet is a bad repro of an earlyish 14th century style known as a great helm or haume. the breast fauld and tassets are 15th century.
the shoulder pauldrons, couters, gauntlet cuffs are 16th century.
I cant see the polyen wing to date the legs, but the sabatons are at best 15th C too.

The Templars, of course, being an order founded in the end of the 12th C, and disbanded at the start of the 14th, this armour is roughly akin to dressing up in modern plate carrier with an AR, and modern fatigues, putting a powdered wig on your head, and saying you're dressed as an authentic costume from the War of Independence.

it is in effect a collection of random shit thrown together for people with no idea what they're buying.

Pic is what the Templars actually wore:
>>
>>34698675
they did though, they are a late medievbal order

there is a pic right above your post, dunno how authentic
>>
File: 13th C Knight hospitalier.jpg (2MB, 1884x2604px) Image search: [Google]
13th C Knight hospitalier.jpg
2MB, 1884x2604px
>>34698943
for most of the 13th C, a knight's equipment, for a Templar would've been similar to this illustration, only with a white habit, rather than black.
>>
Could be just some ceremonial armor, the Templars and Teutonic Orders didn't cease to exist after the crusades.

Also the various types of plate armor are way more aesthetic than chainmail, even the transitional plate looks better.
>>
>>34699096
templars ceased to exist in 1312
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trials_of_the_Knights_Templar
>>
meantime the teutonic order was active in the 15th century, see https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Grunwald
>>
>>34698960
>they did though, they are a late medievbal order

the templars were disbanded in 1314.

the earliest effigies to depict plate armour elements are in the 1290s, for poleyns (the plate for the kneecap), and the first effigy to depict a greave, the shin plate, is dated to 1312.

the articulated plate harness did not exist at the time of the dissolution of the Knights Templar.

the best you could have would be mail hauberk and chausses, with plate additions of poleyn, greave, and maybe, just maybe, a couter, on the elbow. not articulated arms, no gauntlets (those would be mittens of mail, at teh end of the hauberk), no breastplate, no shoulders, no sabatons.
>>
>>34699180
Derp! typo - 1312, not 1314.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.