[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Who actually decides if someone is deserving of a medal of honor?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 7

File: medal-hero.jpg (510KB, 1680x796px) Image search: [Google]
medal-hero.jpg
510KB, 1680x796px
Who actually decides if someone is deserving of a medal of honor?

And how do they differentiate between an action deserving of the medal of honor and an action that only deserves the distinguished service cross?

At those really high levels of military awards, is it all who you know that decides if you get the big one?
>>
>And how do they differentiate between an action deserving of the medal of honor and an action that only deserves the distinguished service cross?

If the guy lives or not.
>>
>>34684238
https://www.army.mil/medalofhonor/process.html

In all honesty though, the MoH is usually given to cover up a massive command fuckup that was only redeemed by someone on the ground. There have been multiple instances in afghanistan of higher refusing fires while COPs are being overrun, only to have the day saved by some shit hot buck sergeant killing dudes with tripods and shit.
>>
>>34684245
Or if the dude loses a limb or three.
>>
>>34684255

>Americans
>Refusing Fire

That seems like an oxymoron
>>
>>34684287
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Ganjgal
>"Complaints that the coalition casualties were avoidable and caused by a failure of the chain of command to provide fire support for the team triggered an official investigation and a series of reprimands to several US military officers.[6] Army Captain William D. Swenson and Marine Corporal Dakota Meyer received the Medal of Honor for their actions during the battle."
>>
>>34684245
Perhaps I'm misremembering, but haven't the last couple of MoH winners been alive?
>>
>>34684396
Yes because for a while the award rate was much lower than previous wars and only going to guys who jumped on grenades, which was pretty demoralizing, so Obama said he wanted more living MoHs. One good thing he did.
>>
>>34684238
>is it all who you know that decides if you get the big one?
Yes, if you want to be simplistic about it. Every award, military or otherwise, is political in nature. From employee of the month, the the Congressional Medal of Honor.
>>
>>34685016
Kind of agree with this. 3 years in the reserve and never got shit
Told my CO ill be starting ROTC (at her old rotc unit) and SMP soon
BAM I get an AAM for being a fucking KP(cooks laughed there asses off)
>>
>>34684866
You can still get a MoH for jumping on a grenade. It's a rare occurrence in modern times so we don't see a lot of it. Leroy Petry was the only one that did something similar and he got a MoH for it.
>>
while we're on the topic
In the absurd hypothetical situation of some crazy fucker being awarded the thing twice for two separate instances, how would that even be worn on a dress uniform?
>>
>>34686509
I dont believe you can be awarded more then one medal of honor nowadays.
You can be put in for more then one but thats it
>>
>>34686509
In theory, if the decision not to award it more than once goes away, you'd probably put a fucking Oak Leaf on it
>>
>>34686509
>In 2011, Department of Defense instructions were amended to read "for each succeeding act that would otherwise justify award of the Medal of Honor, the individual receiving the subsequent award is authorized to wear an additional Medal of Honor ribbon and/or a 'V' device on the Medal of Honor suspension ribbon" (the "V" device is a 1⁄4-inch-high (6.4 mm) bronze miniature letter "V" with serifs that denotes valor). The Medal of Honor was the only decoration authorized the use of the "V" device (none were ever issued) to designate subsequent awards in such fashion. Nineteen individuals, all now deceased, were double Medal of Honor recipients.[59] This was discontinued in July 2014 and changed to read, "A separate MOH is presented to an individual for each succeeding act that justified award."[60] As of 2014, no devices are authorized for the Medal of Honor.
>>
>>34684238
Why is every one a pentigram?
>>
>>34684238
its called a congressional medal of honor

just a hint
>>
>>34686698
It's a star you fucking retard
>>
File: 1.jpg (46KB, 852x480px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
46KB, 852x480px
>>34686965
coincidence?
>>
>>34686509
No one's really sure anymore, since there are no living double-MoH awardees, so no one has bothered to make proper regulations.

I know sure as fuck that if I got awarded two, I'd wear both at the same time in my ASUs. Have those bitches clack together when I walk.
>>
>>34684238
>Who actually decides if someone is deserving of a medal of honor?
fate?
>>
>>34686745
it's called the medal of honor
not the damn "congressional" medal of honor.
nothing honorable about congress anyway.
>>
File: 1155725782363.jpg (53KB, 600x431px) Image search: [Google]
1155725782363.jpg
53KB, 600x431px
>>34687802
I mean who's going to tell you not too?
>Hey Sarn't, you can't wear both of those at the same time you know
>Oh, sorry Sergeant Major, can't hear you over the noise of these things clapping together when I walk.
>The medals kind of make noise too, I guess.
>>
File: Dan Daly.jpg (35KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
Dan Daly.jpg
35KB, 600x400px
>>34686509
Like this
>>
>>34689038
Whoa..really made me think.
>>
>>34690304
Don't MoH recipients get saluted too or that some folklore?

>Gee SGM these medals ain't gonna salute themselves
>>
>>34690857
All enlisted (including the SMA) are required to salute MoH winners, officers are strongly recommended to do the same, but aren't required.
>>
>>34692254

Translated: Everyone will give someone who doesn't the stink eye and you can be damn sure that fucker is gonna get fragged.
>>
>>34690304
Medal of Honor awardees do get away with a lot of shit. Go look at what the hairstyle the last couple of winners were allowed to have while in uniform during their award ceremonies.
>>
>>34692286
idgaf, if you've got a MoH, you damn well deserve to get away with most anything.
>>
>>34692345
>>
Has anyone ever been awarded the medal of honor and then later had it taken away?
>>
>>34687003
only true answer
>>
File: Chan Burauza.jpg (5KB, 150x172px) Image search: [Google]
Chan Burauza.jpg
5KB, 150x172px
>>34689072
>not the damn "congressional" medal of honor
>http://www.cmohs.org/
Please don't be so goddamned retarded
>>
>>34692286
Isn't that because they're SOF and allowed to grow their hair out to 'civilian' standards?
>>
>>34692983

Not every MoH awardee is SOF
>>
>>34692611
>>34692983
In the case of the guy in the picture, he was awarded his MoH during a break in service (he got out in 2011, went back in 2014, was awarded in 2013). So while he wore the uniform for the ceremony, he was a civilian at the time he was awarded the medal
>>
>>34692992
It's very rare that SF get the Medal of Honor because it requires the details of the action to be released to the public and since most SF missions can't be revealed, they can't be put up for the Medal of Honor
>>
>>34690334
>drops mic
>>
>>34693253

>Went back in

What, like reenlisted?
>>
File: OCallahan_JT_h47538.jpg (141KB, 590x765px) Image search: [Google]
OCallahan_JT_h47538.jpg
141KB, 590x765px
>>34684245
>>34684268

>navy chaplain
>professor of mathematics and philosophy
>onboard USS FRANKLIN during jap bombing
>hand carried armed ordnance through flaming ship to throw overboard and helped flood what was left of magazines, took care of wounded and dying
>refused to accept navy cross (only person to do so in WW2)
>pres truman said no and handed him MOH
>speculated that O'Callahan was offered the Navy Cross in lieu of the Medal of Honor since his heroic actions on the USS Franklin highlighted perceived lapses in leadership by the ship's commanding officer
>returned to become head of uni math department
>>
>>34697457
Re-commissioned I guess, since he's an officer. Look him up on the google, William Swenson
>>
>>34684255
Now that you mention it, there have been a good number of instances with that being true...
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.