[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What should you look for in a knife, specifically chef's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4

File: masamoto-240mm-gyuto-81.jpg (55KB, 800x549px) Image search: [Google]
masamoto-240mm-gyuto-81.jpg
55KB, 800x549px
What should you look for in a knife, specifically chef's knife?

I've asked /ck/, but they were all clueless women fighting over whether you should even buy a kitchen knife that cost more than $20.
>>
>>34672128
/ck/ is fairly terrible on a whole lot of levels.
Professional or Home use and your budget?
>>
>>34672128
Good steel mostly. You don't want to be sharpening your kitchen knife every time you use it. Other than that, it's mostly about the kind of cooking you'll be doing.

Anything besides a cleaver or boning knife is going to have a very acute angle for the edge, so you shouldn't have to worry about edge geometries.
>>
>>34672128
Look for a thin blade with a very acute angle. Full flat grind is probably best. Since it is going to come in contact with food, rust resistance is important. Stainless steel is not the hardest, but you should still be able to get a good edge with the right stone. Start with a coarse stone and progressively work your way to finer and finer grit, until you're using about 8000 grit. Get that edge polished to a mirror smooth finish. Use long, smooth strokes when cutting, not a sawing motion.

Hope this helps.
>>
>>34672143
Home use.
About $100.
>>
>>34672149
Check out wusthof knives. They're damn good knives for the price, and they're rugged as dick. My mother's got a set she's had since the 90's, and they're still kickin'.

Global makes great knives, too, but I personally don't like their handles.
>>
>>34672149
Should be able to find something 8" from Wusthof (European) or Shun (Asian) and while they're not 'the best' knives they generally deliver a reasonable product from a mass producer.
Stainless, thin blade (2mm) and a flat grind will see you with something that's a decent little performer and wont need sharpening more than once or twice a year.
>>
>>34672128
Are you going to do serious cooking and treat the blade right? Because if it's 'no' to either of those you might as well go with a Victorinox 8" for $45 and not be pissed when someone throws it in the sink to bounce off ceramic plates or drops it in the dishwasher with the pots and pans.

>>34672158
Not a bad suggestion but unless he is willing to wait for a sale he's only going to be able to get a 6" Wusthof for $100.

I'm no size queen but I find 6" chef's knives frustrating to work with.
>>
>>34672165
Hone a blade when it's getting put away for the day and it should be fine going a year between sharpening, but as ever that's just a guideline. Careless use/one stupid person can have you needing to sharpen more often.
>>
>>34672188
>someone throws it in the sink to bounce off ceramic plates or drops it in the dishwasher with the pots and pans.

That can actually be fixed with most modern knives.
>>
File: marc-4.jpg (37KB, 366x500px) Image search: [Google]
marc-4.jpg
37KB, 366x500px
chef here.

you can go two ways; european or asian.
european knives are heavier, thicker, more durable, not that sharp, but that mean less maintenance.

asian knives are lighter, way sharper, usually better steel, but require a shitload of care.

for home use just go with victorinox, their wooden handle santoku is an amazing knife.

only autists get japanese knives for amateur use, you seriously don't need that much from a knife for home use, you propably don't either know nor care enogh to take proper care of a quality knife.

but since this is /k/ and you most likely do suffer fron autism and will want to buy a "cool" japanese knife to look cool or whatever, then get the mac msk-65 santoku, it's about 150e (so ~200 burgermoney i think)
it's an amazing knife and worth every penny.

but you need to buy a ceramic sharpener and a honing stone ANS FUCKING USE THEM and also remember to wash it gently and oil it every now and then.
>>
>>34672128
why should you buy a kitchen knife worth more than $20?

are you worried about what grade of steel you're using when you're cutting up a sausage?

you're not stabbing shit, you don't have to worry about tips breaking, go to walmart and stop acting like this is a life or death decision.
>>
>>34672188
for a classic styled full handled wusthof its gonna be $100+ but you can get workhorse models that are pretty damn good for cheap.
https://www.knifecenter.com/item/WU4862720/Wusthof-PRO-8-inch-Chefs-Knife

knifecenter is life
>>
File: 141358.gif (551KB, 245x220px) Image search: [Google]
141358.gif
551KB, 245x220px
>go to people who actually cook asking about a kitchen utensil
>they give you a reasonable answer
>too much of a mall ninja to accept you dont have to pay $100 for a knife
>come to weapons board for something unrelated to weapons to appease yourself by asking man children who eat cup noodles what an acceptable kitchen knife is
>>
File: 1500881852320.png (269KB, 600x338px) Image search: [Google]
1500881852320.png
269KB, 600x338px
>hey /k/ what knife do I buy?
>/k/ is for weapons
Go away britfag, we dont like your cucked kind here.
>>
>>34672364
Cup noodles are for degenerate, i eat the 15 cent packets of chicken flavored ramen.
>>
>>34672360
Or if you want a set of knives that will last FOREVER on the cheap.
https://www.knifecenter.com/item/OH7180/old-hickory-5-piece-cutlery-set-carbon-steel-blades-and-wood-handles-usa-made
>>
>>34672128
I went down this road recently, and after an inappropriately large amount of research, came up with this one https://www.target.com/p/j-a-henckels-international-classic-8-chef-s-knife/-/A-15674288. I can't justify spending boku bucks on a home kitchen knife, but I still found it was world's above what I was using. Hone it before use, love it.
>>
>>34672213
That can actually be fixed by atabbing said person.
>>
>>34672590
Come on now, its a knife, not a ming vase or grand dad's 1911.
>Bathroom
>2 electrical cables
>A jug of water
>A dishcloth

Waterboard the shit out of the cunt
Repeat after me, knife in dishwasher bad
Do it again, until they get the idea
>>
>>34672128
I is the Tojiro DP. 8.2" and it's currently $67.90 from Amazon. Great knife. Haven't had to sharpen it or anything in months, only now noticing it's slightly less razor sharp. It's also super light which works well for me.

OP have you felt the difference between Asian and Euro knives? Wusthoffs are heavy as fuck. If that's what you want, go for it, they're also a great brand.
>>
>>34672342
Ya know some us aren't limited to popping open packs of chicken nuggets so having something about stamped steel Faberware is nice, since a knife is a tool that you can use for decades
>>
>>34672128
Former chef here, /CK/ is trash.
Wustoff makes a damn fine knife.
They come in tiers of quality so you can spend as much as you want, or whatever is cheapest that they sell.
Go for 8 inches, no need to get a giant knife or a tiny "pretend chef's knife." Please don't buy serrated.
Make sure you take good care of it and keep it sharp, it could outlive you.
>>
>>34673036
Are you suggesting someone shouldn't own a serrated knife or just that their chefs knife shouldn't be?
>>
>>34673086
Chef knife.
>>
>>34673115
Do people actually do this? I feel like they'd be laughed out of the kitchens I've worked in if someone showed up with a serrated chef knife.

Also OP I have a serrated Wusthoff for bread and stuff and it's a damn fine knife. That and my chef knife is all I really use... Sometimes a cheap old paring knife too but all I do is amateur food at home.
>>
>>34673142
> I feel like they'd be laughed out of the kitchens I've worked in if someone showed up with a serrated chef knife.
People do.
Usually, a serrated chef knife is the mark of the beginner; so expect to be teased.
You'll learn better knife skills/habits with straight edge knife.
>>
Tojiro DP is a really good value. More knife than you'll really need for just home use.
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/chprset.html
This set I've linked above provides some essentials that your probably going to want anyway if you don't already have them, and puts it at just a bit more than your budget. Also, perhaps get a nice rubber gum or high soft cutting board if you want to preserve a nice edge. Good luck, have fun. Don't sharpen your knife into a hook etc etc
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.