[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

New handgun own here. How safe is 9mm NATO (specifically WWB)

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: 9mm-NATO-1.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
9mm-NATO-1.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
New handgun own here. How safe is 9mm NATO (specifically WWB) for use with a non +P rated pistol? I know it's "technically" not +P, but I still have concerns regarding the PSI.
>>
>>34661126
it's fine
>>
>>34661126
What pistol are we talking here?
>>
>>34661126
From my experience, WWB is as low powered as possible while still being able to be cycled reliably in most handguns
>>
>>34661137
This is the NATO spec white box. It's higher pressure than the box marked 9mm Luger.
>>
>>34661150
yes but its also WWB, which is underpowered garbage

what gun are you firing this out of?
>>
>>34661126
I have 2 older browning hi powers and I personally would not. Several thousands PSI difference is pretty significant. I have issues using Fiocchi ammo too since the Italian manufactured stuff they sell is loaded to similar specs. I've heard that using a stringer recoil spring can mitigate this, but to be safe I try to avoid the higher pressure stuff.
>>
>>34661161
See >>34661165

I'm not willing to sacrifice a nice gun and my hand to find out if it works.
>>
>>34661133
>>34661161

OP here. Walther PPQ M2.
>>
>>34661126
Look.
I have a Luger I had to go through and figure out ammunition for a while back.
It never functioned on the usual low pressure steel cases stuff I got, so I forked over the cash for a box of each of the following.
>Blazer brass
>Federal brass
>Browning steel 9mm (the stuff with the heavy bullets to add recoil)
>WWB 9mm NATO
And, of course, my usual Monarch brand 9mm steel cased ammo.

The WWB is complete and utter shit.
It's worse than Monarch, and that's saying something.
Turns out the Browning and the Federal worked the best btw.
>>
>>34661204
Before I replaced the extractor my Inglis hi power would fail to extract WWB and browning. I figured it's because they were made in similar factories since the Winchester company (Olin group) was involved. But now that I've replaced the extractor it will work with both of those as well as just about every other brand I can get my hands on.
>>
>>34661190
a PPQ M2 will eat that and then some if it's in good condition dude, it's a modern Walther. you could probably fire +P+ loads out of one. the manual states that +P is fine but will wear your gun down though not to use +P+ because there's no actual spec for it.

real talk, you can run literally any non-proof 9mm load in a PPQ. you will be fine. and even a goddamn taurus wouldn't blow up from WWB 9mm nato.
>>
>>34661258

Ah thanks for the input. I just wanted to make sure I didn't crack a guide rod or something lol. I'll put these 200 through it and then probably start buying the standard 115 FMJ/HP for plinking and home defense.
>>
>>34661161
Stop spreading fuddlore nonsense. Numbers don't lie.

OP:
Winchester White Box 9mm is 115gr at 1190fps, or about 362ft/lb at the muzzle
Winchester NATO 9mm is 125gr at 1185fps, or 387 ft/lb
That's about a 7% increase over WWB.

To give you perspective
>Federal 9mm FMJ 115gr
>1180fps at the muzzle, 356 ft/lb
>Federal 9mm FMJ 124gr
>1150fps at the muzzle, 364 ft/lb
>Federal 9mm +P JHP, HST Tactical 124gr
>1200fps, 396 ft/lb
If you're keeping track, Federal's FMJ 9mm is about the same as Winchester White Box FMJ 9mm.
Federal's 9mm +P HST, which is a pretty standard load, is about 9.4% over Winchester White Box.

So, you answer your question more concisely - Your NATO ammo is substantially above regular range loads (all major brands of which, by the way, are within 100fps of each other in any given bullet grain), but somewhat below 9mm +P.
Honestly, though, a bigger consideration is -why- your pistol isn't +P rated. Is it because it's old and the metallurgy isn't there? Don't do it.
Is it because it's a lawyer liability statement due to a partially unsupported chamber? Use your own judgment.
I have a Jericho, which in the manual states not to use +P ammo. The gun, however, was built to take .41AE, and in Tanfoglio flavor, 10mm and .38 Super. The gun is clearly built to handle it - but the chamber is partially unsupported, so the liability statement is there. I wouldn't use +P reloads, but I have no hesitation shooting factory new ammo.
Glock still uses partially unsupported barrels, even in spite of all of the past KB issues, and blesses you to use +P ammo. Drop a bullet in your chamber and look for yourself how much of the casing is unsupported in your gun.
>>
>>34661291
guide rod in the PPQ M2 is plastic, or at least it is in the case of my Navy. not likely to crack as it's a pretty pliable plastic. if you're just plinking, no reason to bother with NATO, but its not going to hurt the gun significantly.

>>34661364
buy a chronograph, go buy 100 rounds of winchester and 100 rounds of federal, and then get back to me on that
>>
>>34661385
>test them with a chrono
I don't have to, dozens of people have already done the same.

> https://www.glocktalk.com/threads/common-115-grain-9mm-velocities.1284001/
>Winchester USA 115gr "White Box" 9mm >Luger FMJ TARGET/RANGE:
>Advertised velocity: 1190 fps
>Tested velocity: 1193 fps, std deviation = 9.0 fps

>Federal Champion 115gr 9mm Luger FMJ RN:
>Advertised velocity: 1125 fps
>Tested velocity: 1131 fps, std deviation = 9.1 fps
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.