[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's /k/'s thoughts on the Irish Army Ranger Win

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3

What's /k/'s thoughts on the Irish Army Ranger Wing?
Also general special forces thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wIKck2idVI
>>
It must be a shame going through all the blood sweat and tears to become a tier one unit of a country that doesn't do anything militarily, especially when you could have been in the SAS/SBS instead
>>
>>34656434
This guy gets it.
>>
>>34656434
Stop going after LARPing, everyone can have a hobby.
>>
>>34656434

I think something like a quarter to a third of the Irish regiments of the British Army are from Ireland (as in the Republic) instead of Northern Ireland these days.
>>
>>34656362
For an army as small as Ireland it's amazing how they can create a such world class special forces unit. They won the U.S. Sniper competition a year or two ago I believe and perform well internationally in other competitions and joint training operations.
>>
>>34656362
Video is well made
>>
>>34656362
I like the music. I must find it
>>
>>34656434
>>34656362
They actually do shit from time to time as part of the UN Peacekeepers as a more competent member.

Apparently the Irish were part of the response team sent when those Flip UN troops got besieged in the Golan Heights to extract them.
>>
>>34656362
>What's /k/'s thoughts on the Irish Army Ranger Wing?

they watched too much chris coastaguard and trayfag hayley videos on YT...
>>
>>34656362
Pretty gr8 video. Makes our recruitment ads look like shit.
>>
I wonder how they size up to our Rangers
>>
>>34656362
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMWe-3px7jE

Thoughts on this one?
>>
>>34661725
Short answer? They don't.
>>
>>34656434
>spend all week training with the boys
>spend all weekend getting pissed at the pub
>reap all the benefits of elitism
>never actually have to get shot at
>Very very occasionally get sent to the Golan or Congo to stand around and stare at a B-list celebrity's ass as she hands out shirts or MREs to starving kids

It's literally what everybody does here, except you get paid for it. Sounds comfy af really
>>
File: 1500990487920.png (511KB, 1039x923px)
1500990487920.png
511KB, 1039x923px
sound lads to be sure
>>
>>34662531
Aren't the Irish anglos?
>>
>>34656362
>What's /k/'s thoughts on the Irish Army Ranger Wing?

based. best coin operators in history
>>
>>34664341
What have they ever done COIN?
>>
http://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/watch-american-medias-shocked-reaction-6708316

This video shows an American news anchor's stunned reaction to an Irish sniper team winning the US Army International Sniper Competition.

A special forces unit in the Irish Defence Forces made history after being the first non-USA team to win an international sniper competition.

The US Army International Sniper Competition was hosted in Fort Benning, Georgia.

The Army Ranger Wing won the overall international categories - making them the best sniper team in the world.
>>
>>34664348
>What have they ever done COIN?

They prevented paramilitary violence from northern Ireland spreading into the Republic for 25 years and they did it quietly and effectively. They won so hard there is no one from the loosing sides left to whinge about it.
>>
>>34664364
Proof?
>>
>>34664332
No you stupid fuck they're the descendants of the Gauls. The Greeks called the Gauls "Kaeltoi" which is where the word "Celt" comes from. Also why the Irish language is call Gaelic.

Angles are Germans, not Gauls.
>>
>>34664364
>There's no massive insurgency in Ireland

>Therefore Ireland has the best COIN operators in the world

I have a rock that repels tigers to sell you
>>
>>34664348
Allegedly, and this is a big allegedly, they accompanied their British equivalents as observers when PIRA were attempting cross border operations in the 1980s. There's a lot of cross training since then, too.

They are really rather good at what they do, but unfortunately the Irish government has no interest in maintaining anything more of a military force. Standard small European nation SF - competent, good morale, lots of work and training with bigger forces but no political backup or real structure behind them.
>>
>>34664387
My mistake, I just assumed since they speak English but now I've learned they have their own language as well
>>
>>34664419
It's okay, sorry for the hostility.
>>
>>34664397
They and the rest of the Irish Army and police contributed toward the Republic bucking a massive trend in international security - they prevented violence from spreading and stopped cross border shenanigans.

FARC lasted as long as it did in Colombia because it was allowed to go into Ecuador and Venezuela after mounting operations. The Irish Army prevented PIRA from doing that.

>>34657563
About 25 percent are from the Republic. Around 55 are from the North, the rest are mainly from elsewhere in Britain. Liverpool was a prime recruiting destination - lads wanted to serve in the British Army but as the Irish Regiments (barring the UDR) were exempt from NI tours they were more attractive to Catholics with Irish parents.

More citizens of the Republic joined the Irish Army and the British Army than they did all the 1969 - present IRA organisations combined, which is an excellent thing.
>>
>>34664419
Everyone in Ireland speaks English but a few use Gaelic at home or as a first language. Not as many as in Wales, but far more than in Scotland.
>>
>>34664450
So because the police tried to arrest IRA members inside Ireland, this makes the ARW the best COIN operators in the world?
>>
>>34664508
I'm not the person who claimed that. They are not the best COIN operators in the world but they have the skill set necessary to meet the demands of Ireland's security situation, and did so through a lengthy period of political violence. Which is far more than a lot of larger, heavier militaries can claim.
>>
>>34656362

>Irish army

Literally nothing at all.

May as well run it as the Irish police and just have them be the SWAT wing.
>>
They liking those AUG A3s?
>>
>>34664555

I always thought it was more the Garda and sharing of information from the British intelligence services than the Irish Army. Regardless, its notable that one of the provisions of the 2015 defence agreement included the Irish Army training the British Army in peacekeeping operations.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.