[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hello /k/, /lit/ here. I'm currently writing a short novel

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

Hello /k/, /lit/ here.
I'm currently writing a short novel that features a side-character with a military background. I was wondering: Is there a standard way of measuring (actual) combat experience? My thinking is this: A soldier who is lost and fights behind enemy lines for a week, then retires, has effectively more experience than a soldier who is stationed at a base for years but never leaves the compound or never comes under attack while patroling. Are there any terms that reflect this kind of situation like active / passive experience or something like that? Thanks in advance.
>>
Not specifically. Certain areas have a bit of mystique around them, like if someone tells you they were in Fallujah in 2004 or Sangin during the surge, you sort of assume Wow, he must have been in the shit.
>>
>>34635590
Alright, but I assume there must be some kind of measurment, even if it's inofficial.
On a resume you'd probably write so and so many years of military experience and in which areas. But for special ops units there would probably be something like so and so many hours of combat, count of accomplished missions or total mission hours? I just want a grasp on how a military guy would describe it.
>>
>>34635638
There is no objective measurement of combat experience. You would just have to list off ops you were in and people would infer your experience from what they know about those ops.
>>
>>34635638
You've got this all wrong anon. POGs sit at the base tacticooling their shit and imagining what being 'in the shit' is like.
People who are actual warriors don't give a damn about keeping count of hours, only missions and keeping themselves and their friends alive.

You're trying to look at this like a finished cake in need of icing; when you should be looking at it as raw material being whipped into shape, rising to meet its challenge and ending with a delicious treat after all your hard work. The treat being survival.
Man im pretty drunk hue
>>
>>34635890
I see, so it's more reputation than objective measurment. Thanks.

>>34636059
>food metaphors
I think you've had enough, anon.
>>
A lot of people here have already said it, but at the end of every combat deployment or operation there isn't some good boy point system.

The experience of each soldier entirely depends on the individual experiences they have. There could one be one SEAL who has had nothing but uneventful OPS his entire career, and there could be your generic grunt that has experienced hell on earth with a string of unlucky deployments.
>>
>>34635541
It isn't like a solid measuring stick because lots of people in the military just jerk off all day, I would pick something specific that they were involved in, like the surge or fallujah in 04, basically were they "in the shit".
>>
>>34636471
>>34636560

Okay, but wouldn't consideration of individual circumstances make for a giant mess in a highly beaurocratic system like the military administration? How do they make skills / experience comparable? Or are the decision makers all in on this system of reputation so they can tell talent by "screening" people or something?
>>
>>34635541
is this gay erotica
>>
>>34636681
Training is usually the only defining buffer between different soldiers. This is why SEAL training is unbelievably excruciating and difficult, while your typical Army training is much more tame by comparison.

Their metric basically asks only one question. "Can they complete the training?". If they can complete the training, then they are apart of that rating, the only thing that will get them beyond that rating is more training.
>>
>>34636121
>food references
Please anon your words are honey-sweet like pumperknickle bread; and the bait you left for me seems to have caught anons instead
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UulaeVSKDtA

The Apple saw through our half-baked fears like a wooden shoe in the windmill gear.
The turning stopped and we clearly saw: the flaw is in that which finds the flaw!
The Strawberry said to the Tangerine: My face is red but our hats are green.
Be it orchard or a curling vine, the Sun of yours is the Sun that's mine.
>>
Combat time is near impossible to measure too. You might be thinking in flight hours, where a pilot counts every hour with their bird in the air is a flight hour and having more of them looks better.

The issue is that "combat" is very, very vague. One unit will pretend like getting faintly mortared chilling at a base overseas is heavy shit, meanwhile another unit will initiate and finish a nasty firefight for a long time and have to call in medevacs for their brothers yet still feel like not a whole lot happened.
>>
File: 1489705669803.jpg (136KB, 500x611px) Image search: [Google]
1489705669803.jpg
136KB, 500x611px
>'lmao hey /k/ describe combat'
Get. Out.
>>
>>34636752
I'm drinking with you next time
>>
>>34636700
google chuck tingle book covers
>>
>>34635541
Check their total EXP.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.