[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I was admited to a mental facility for a major depressive episode.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2

I was admited to a mental facility for a major depressive episode. I voluntarily brought myself to the ER, but was baker acted into the facility despite voluntarily bringing myself in.

am I prohibbited from owning a firearm?

thx.
>>
>>34611112
If you were not deemed mentally unfit by a judge there's nothing prohibiting you from owning a firearm.
>>
>>34611124
thanks for the reply I'm only asking because of this legal statute which seems to conflict with waht youve told me:

Under 18 U.S.C. § 922(d), it is unlawful for any person to sell or otherwise dispose of any firearm or ammunition to any person knowing or having reasonable cause to believe that such person “has been adjudicated as a mental defective or has been committed to any mental institution.”
>>
>>34611112
When the question comes up, click no and just keep answering questions. They can't go into your medical record to find it. And there's no central database where they can get that information. Just say 'no' and forget you ever were committed.

That is, of course, unless you're unsure of your mental health yourself. In which case, do a little thinking before purchasing a firearm. Have you been in the clear for a few years? Do you ever have suicidal/homicidal desires? Etc. Make sure you're very sure of your mental state.

But otherwise, go git a gun bro.
>>
>>34611149
>it is unlawful for any person to sell...knowing or having reasonable cause to believe [the recipient] has been committed to any mental institution.

Well, don't give him any cause to believe it. It's nobody's business but your own.
>>
>>34611149
http://www.politifact.com/florida/statements/2013/jan/25/mike-ryan/do-police-automatically-return-guns-someone-after-/
>>
>>34611153
yes, but isn't it a federal crime dishonestly answer those forms? and could I be charged w/ a felony for doing so?

Sorry not trying to be difficult with you I am just trying to get it correct before acting.

Yes, I am mentally sound. I was suicidal at the time due to an extremely high stress situation concerning my safety. It is the reason I need a concealed carry weapon for personal protection now, but I am not looking to attack anyone or harm myself.
>>
>>34611183
Thank you for the information friends.
>>
>>34611197
You were very likely not committed by a judge. Most likely you were held for an evaluation period at the insistence of a doctor who was acting on an abundance of caution. I don't think that REALLY counts, to be honest. Unless it was a legal order by a judge (and not just the limited power granted to doctors by legislature) I think you're in the clear to consider it a non-issue.

It'd be something like having an accusation of child molestation against you, so CPS comes and takes your kids for a little while, just to be sure. Or an accusation of domestic violence. The thing that happened to you was likely not legally significant, and not really the intended target of the questionnaire you answer.
>>
>>34611112
is it you on the pic? if not how is it related?
>>
>>34611281
not thats just a girl from the internet who ass i wanna put my face in
>>
>>34611112
Going by the spreadsheet, unless you had an examination by 2 facility psychiatrists, an independent expert, and then had a court hearing, you were not 'adjudicated'.

It's still kind of weird to me that a facility can just toss you in a room up to 72 hours without so much as a cursory examination by a psychiatrist, and you just have to sit there.
>>
>>34611328
http://www.cchrflorida.org/question-and-answers-about-the-florida-involuntary-commitment-law-the-baker-act/
>>
>>34611328
yeah, you have to be really making a scene for them to do that though m8. I straight went into the ER and asked for a mental health eval. There was also legal incentive for me to have record of mental health decline due to circumstance but thats a different story entirely. I've been upset though because I thought it would prevent me from owning a firearm. Also I am considering going into law enforcement and was worried it would hinder that aswell.
>>
>>34611112
>voluntarily
You're good.
>>
>>34611478
yes I understand, but a baker act is an unvoluntary. so even if you go in to get the eval voluntarily once you're baker acted you cannot leave, so it seems a bit of a grey area.

From what I've gathered is that the Baker Act is for a evaluation period and can lead to, but is not a mental health facility commitment, so I believe I'm good.

Thank you /K/ for your wealth of knowledge I will be lurking.
>>
>>34611112
In Canuckistan you would be. I feel for ya and hope you get better.
>>
File: 1492467689403.jpg (47KB, 640x427px) Image search: [Google]
1492467689403.jpg
47KB, 640x427px
SHALL
NOT
BE
INFRINGED
>>
>>34611149
Do you know what "adjudicated" means?
>>
you probably shouldn't own a firearm anon
>>
>>34611112
>am I prohibbited from owning a firearm?
Yes.
>>
>>34611112
I'm in the same situation. I got better and have a bunch of funz. It's fine.
>>
>>34611112
>am I prohibbited from owning a firearm?

you should be

find some other way to commit suicide

thx.
>>
>>34611112
A very popular Amendment II and IV circumvention these days, I've noticed - largely favored by entitled krauts who think they're king and God, acting like they didn't really lose at Yorktown and tamed the Wild West all by themselves.

Finer details may vary state-to-state, but basic research suggests that it largely depends upon your length of stay in said facility. 72-hour holds (i.e. "5150") don't, per se, provided you're cleared and exit care within that timeframe; if the hold extends beyond that time, however, you're extra-judicially barred from purchasing/owning firearms, by default.

Again, depending upon your state of residence, you may have to wait five calendar years before you can petition the court to have your rights "reinstated". That stated, a hearing can turn south, easily, depending upon the court's politics, whereby they can just as easily demand you surrender whatever arms are left in your possession (provided that your cucked relations didn't fork 'em over outright).

Thanks for nothing, James Holmes: The shit-bag college boy who made it all the more possible! Fucking Californians...!
>>
Fun fact about suicide by gun:

Even with a headshot, some scientists theorize that many people still retain a form of "Consciousness" until they bleed out.

So, essentially you're retarded for a few minutes before you actually die, unless you really splatter yourself.

So... yeah. Suicide by gun may not be as "quick" as people think it is.
>>
>>34611112
The 5150 hold will show up on a federal background check when you attempt to purchase a firearm. You need to jump through the hoops of getting that piece of paper expunged. Yes it's true that the Federal govt. will not go into your medical records but the 5150 is a law enforcement document and is subject to review.
>>
>>34611149
>committed to any mental institution
you weren't committed you were admitted.
>>
>>34614548
>thx
Strange. You don't sound very thankful at all, anon.
>>
I applied for my foid a few months too early (before the 5 calendar years). I should be clear in November. Does this mean I have to wait a whole year since my last appeal or do I gotta arrange the court review?

Plz respond. Noguns is nofuns.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.