[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /k/ommandos I'm a straight up faggot for the M1 Garand

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 6

File: M1_Garand.jpg (468KB, 4299x2429px) Image search: [Google]
M1_Garand.jpg
468KB, 4299x2429px
Hey /k/ommandos I'm a straight up faggot for the M1 Garand and I found one in great condition for $600 at a local shop. Should I spring for it? Talk to me about the pros and cons of this gun.
>>
>straight
>faggot
??
>>
File: 1375741228866.jpg (6KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
1375741228866.jpg
6KB, 225x225px
>>34600524
>I found a gun that I have always wanted in great shape for an awesome price
>Convince me not to buy it
>>
>>34600524
For that price, you'd be a faggot not to get it.
>>
Unless it's a shit tier National Ordnance that's a great deal
>>
>>34600538
I love the gun but $600 is a lot for a historical piece for me. I'm looking for opinions on whether this is worth it or I should save for a more practical piece.
>>
>>34600543
This. They usually go for around a grand where I use to be
>>
Make sure it's the real deal and not a National Ordnance...those are aftermarket. I think a few other places have made aftermarkets, too. You want a Springfield Armory (no INC in the mark), a Winchester, H&R, or an IHC. Sometimes you also see a Beretta and those might be cool, too.
>>
>>34600524
check bore, barrel crown and bolt face. If all appear good go for it.
>>
>>34600535
gay4gunz
>>
>>34600563
You can resell the thing for a grand easy if you don't like it, assuming it's the real thing.
>>
>>34600590
So make sure it's a Springfield? I could go back and probably test fire it at at their range and whatnot.
>>
File: 620.png (876KB, 981x360px) Image search: [Google]
620.png
876KB, 981x360px
good:
America
Ping
.30-06
wood

bad:
heavy
8 rounds in clips
a whore for proper lubing

It's the favorite rifle I own, $600 is a steal if it's in any decent condition at all.
>>
>>34600617
Could you explain the problems with lubrication? 8 rounds doesn't bother me so much as I was just planning on using it for casual innawoods trips and pest control.
>>
>>34600593
One of the four that was actually produced for the US government: Springfield Armory, Winchester, Harrington and Richardson (H&R), or International Harvester Corporation (IHC). The last three are more valuable to collectors as Springfields are more common. Stay away from National Ordnance or "Springfield Armory, Inc" (not the same as Springfield Armory) because those are aftermarkets with no historical value. Beretta made some for the Italian Army but they might be actual Berettas or parts guns assembled on a Beretta receiver.

Check your TE and ME...you can estimate ME by sticking a .30-06 bullet into the muzzle backwards and seeing how far it goes in. That's not a perfect test. I have a Springfield that swallows most of the bullet but is still pretty accurate.
>>
>>34600655
Use grease on the moving parts, not oil. Same with the M14.
>>
>>34600655
needs grease in all the sliding areas to have smooth action.

oil only goes on a few rotating parts.

one of the grease locations requires you to field strip. which is bad, because every time you take it apart. you risk deforming the furniture and making the receiver not lock tight to the stock.
>>
>>34600655
It's an old design, so it's more maintenance intensive than a modern arm. It was considered very easy to maintain for even retard soldiers back in the day, though.
The rotating bolt needs oil, and the BCG *needs* grease. Not too much, or it'll jam. Not too little, or it will wear quickly (and jam). Using too thick or too thin grease will result in the same.
It's not hard or expensive, but you must learn the trick of the perfect finger-coat of bearing grease for the receiver, and if you go heavy it will jam until the grease heats and thins.
Also, you don't do full strips with the M1 like other rifles. The stock fit is really important to accuracy, and taking the receiver in and out degrades fit.
>>
PING
>>
>>34600702
Also the splines in the gas system are a bit fragile. Buy and use a disassembly tool.
>>
For $600 anywhere but the CMP there's something horribly wrong with it.
Inspect it autistically.
>>
>>34600776
could be a drill rifle that someone restored using spare parts.

usually just need to change the bolt and barrel.
>>
>I'm a faggot for this gun
>I literally know nothing about tell me everything I need to know

You need to be 18 to post here
>>
>Tfw Canadian and find a Springfield m1 garand for $700.

Absolute awesome rifle. Be careful about en bloc clips. Some are garbage and won't fit correctly.
>>
>>34600840
milsurp en blocs should always work.

the problematic ones are civilian reproductions.

i would trade a garand for a svt40. If a canadian ever felt like it.
>inb4 atf, dead dogs, rcmp please.
>>
>>34600879
Yeah surplus are fine. Some repos are fine but some are total shit.

I haven't seen a svt here in awhile, even when i do they're over $650 syrup dollars.

Meanwhile 3 years ago they were $350
>>
>>34600791
Might also need to drill out a weld on the old gas plug and buy and install a new gas plug if it was a VA funeral gun. Not hard to do.
>>
>>34600923
650 loons is still cheaper than what they go for in the USA.
>>
File: IMG_08481-1.jpg (88KB, 378x899px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_08481-1.jpg
88KB, 378x899px
>>34600879
>i would trade a garand for a svt40
I wouldn't.
>>
>>34600938
True but the price of guns have gone nuts here, almost double the cost in 3 or 4 years for most of the guns i own with my sks being the exception
>>
>>34600960
it is simple economics.

I can go pick up a service grade Garand for less than a 1000 USD. A good SVT40 in the states is going to be 1200-1500. More if it is a carbine.

a canuke svt40 is 650 CanukBucks. which is 515 in merican money.

I already have a garand. so I would be trading away another.

surplus garands cost over a thousand canukbucks in canada.

we both make up well in the trade.

the issue is getting to the border and not getting spotted and arrested. which isn't hard if you don't mind going down a logging road away from civilization.

if I only lived in a border state.
>>
>>34601022
>good SVT40
there is no such creature
>>
>>34600524
Tell me where it is, and I'll buy it before you make a decision.
I'll then go to your house and fuck your mom.
seriously, just buy it.
>>
Buddy I would literally fucking cry if I found a Garand for 600 in leaf land. Pls buy
>>
>>34600833
I'm in my 20s mate I just don't know anyone personally who owns this gun so I've had no real experience with it.
>>
>>34600563
>600 is a lot for me
>for a garand
Anon focus on your education so you can get a better job first. I'm all for collecting firearms but if 600 dollars is a lot to you you are pretty fucked in life.
>>
>find m1 garand in goof condition for 600 fucking dollars
>actually wants to be convinced to not buy it
What the fuck is the actual problem here?
>>
File: Garand Resized.jpg (922KB, 2000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
Garand Resized.jpg
922KB, 2000x3000px
>>34600524
Fuck yeah OP, you should buy it.
Why are you even asking us?
I just got my first Garand (1940) for 850 yesterday.
>>
>>34600617
What lube do you use? I just got mine, and the previous owner seems to have lubed it up nicely, but I still should order some soon.
>>
>>34606009
A light mineral oil for the bolt and the red synthetic bearing grease for the receiver works well. You should be able to buy a tub of it for like $4 at any auto parts place.
>>
>>34600524
BUY IT THEYRE LIKE 1500 WHERE I AM
>>
>>34606600
You live in the wrong place then.
>>
>>34600563
Tell me where you fucking live so I can buy it cunt
>>
>>34600524

Pros
It's a garand

Cons
It isn't free
>>
>>34603739
I'm still in school, almost have my degree, so that's why I say $600 is "a lot." To clarify, it isn't outside my price range I just won't be buying anything for a while if I get this.
>>
>>34600563
Whoa look it's another one of those
>hey guys is this *rare or expensive item* worth *absurdley low price*?
Kind of threads
>>
>>34600524

learn how to spot rewelds. Look up the drawing number on the right receiver leg to make sure it matches the serial number on the heel. it wasnt uncommon for people to weld demilled receiver halves together back in the 1970's and earlier since garands were not available for private purchase before 1978 I believe. rewelds are basically a KB waiting to happen.
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.