[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Alright guys, I'm about to dimple my shit for the first

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 5

File: BRDEJIG1-3.jpg (88KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
BRDEJIG1-3.jpg
88KB, 800x600px
Alright guys, I'm about to dimple my shit for the first time and I'm scared I'm going to muck it up and end up with an off-kilter gas block. I've marked where the dimples need to go on the barrel, and I still need to center punch the drill locations. I only have a hand drill and a crappy vise.

Got any last minute tips before I wing this? Should I go with one, two, or three dimples? Should I use red or blue Loctite?
>>
Two, less to mess up and more than enough, blue is more than strong enough red is overkill.
>>
>>34599640
Spin the gasblock upside down so you can align the gasport with one of the screws. With that done, use the gastube hole to line up and mark the centerline on the bottom of the barrel.

Spin it back around, flush up the shoulder and use the mark you made on the barrel to index the screw holes, mark the barrel through the screw holes, take off the block, dimple, then final install everything.

If you have it, Rocksett is the only threadlocker you should use on barrel components. Blue loctite will break down with the heat, red will be really hard to disassemble later if you need to.
>>
>>34599712
>>34599669
Why wouldn't red loctite be preferable in this situation? It's not like you would get into trouble when it comes time to disassemble so as long as you're not being retarded with the blowtorch.
>>
>>34599875
The best suggestion I've heard for red loctite is to use a soldering iron on the fastener.
>>
>put in one set screw just shy of contact
>Line up gas block (cover muzzle end in electrical tape, blow into chamber end to confirm alignment half-ass)
>Crank that set screw down. Then put the other one in
>Your barrel is now marked
>Proceed to dimpling
>>
File: IMG_4763.jpg (1MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4763.jpg
1MB, 4032x3024px
So here's how it went.

I center punched all three holes flawlessly by tightening down the gas block, taking out one screw at a time, then putting in the tightest fitting drill bit (I have a 115 pc drill index) as the initial punch, which created a tiny divot that was big enough to use as a reference for a larger center punch.

After all the center punches I chucked the barrel in a vise and drilled with a hand drill. The dimples on the front and back were perfect, but I stopped drilling the center one as soon as I noticed it was off. Dunno how that happened tbqh senpai, I'll just have to tighten down the set screws at the ends before screwing in the center one.
>>
>>34599640
>set screw gas block
Nah. Stop this.
>>
>>34599640
Don't dimple unless you have the jig. The only point of dimpling is to align the gas block.
>>
File: IMG_4766.jpg (2MB, 3024x4032px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4766.jpg
2MB, 3024x4032px
dry fitting
>>
Just use cup screws if your gas block is under a handguard
>>
>>34599640
dimpling is unnecessary for anything that's not going to see hard abuse. people hard thousands of rounds through undimpled barrels with no gas block shifting issues.
>>
File: IMG_4768.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4768.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
Everything seems to check out, I'm satisfied and glad I didn't totally fuck it up.
>>
>>34601132
It's cheap insurance. There's no reason not to do in imho.
>>
I 3d-printed a jig and used a drill press to dimple. Also swapped out the supplied set screws for cone point set screws, and used rocksett on them.
>>
>>34601011
You may be able to save that center one with a punch and some patience.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhpOg186fks
>>
>>34601134
Good job, anon.
>>
>>34599640
For anyone curious, the BRD jigs are absolutely worth it, especially if you plan on assembling more than one upper.

Only downside is that the gas block pinning jigs are specific to certain manufacturers and I only use geissele blocks so mine was $140. Still better than having to ship uppers off to adco though.
>>
>>
>>34604735
SPAGETT
>>
Are those Faxon match barrels any good?
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.