[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /k/, I had a really bad idea >Acquire half-decent mosin

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 4

Hey /k/, I had a really bad idea

>Acquire half-decent mosin guts
>Slap it in an archangel kit with a passable scope
>knockaround deer rifle to keep in the truck in case of commie deer

Is it worth it or should I just buy a savage 110 or something
>>
>>34596955
You are what's wrong with the gun community. Do not touch the mosin, especially when it's already approaching $300
>>
>>34596955
Just get an actual Durr rifle and save the time, money, and embarrassment of bubbaing a mosin.
>>
>>34596955
You can get a cheap scoped rifle package for less than it would cost to get a mosin, stock, and scope.
>>
>>34596994
this

>raping a piece of history, especially a technically crappy one, for a durr rifle when a vastly superior modern one can be had for less money.

Bubba pls go
>>
>>34597044
This, you can buy a mossberg 4x4 for about 300 bucks at the lgs near me, comes with a scope and sling even.
>>
>>34597071
I'm a liar, apparently they call them mossberg patriots now. Neat.
>>
>>34596994
>$300 for a moist nugget
Where my country gone?
>>
>>34597088
I have a patriot in 308. Decent gun, but don't expect sub MOA. The best I was able to squeeze out of it after load dev and glass bedding was about 1.25 MOA. My Tikka shoots 1/2" at 100 yards all day with the same load.
>>
>>34596994
Is the M39 worth $300? I'm thinking about buying one.
>>
>>34597096
Nowhere. The supply of mosins just stopped coming in and demand stayed high because it was supposed to be "cheap." Same thing happened with the SKS.

And yes, I know there are "millons in warehouses in Russia but Obama/Trump/the lizard people aren't letting them in the country." My question is, what are the chances that those guns, should they exist still, are worth bringing over any more?
>>
>>34597196
Fuck
>>
>>34596955
Dont ever speak of sporterizing milsurp rifles again, cuck
>>
>>34596955

>spend like $200 on a mosin, by the way the barrel will be like 6 fucking feet long have fun
>spend even more on an archangel stock
>spend still more money on a scope
>surplus ammo isn't even cheaper than .308 anymore, yet is far inferior
So you're looking at at least $400-500 before even having optics. Great. End of the day you have an unwieldy archaic slavic rifle that you've turned into an abortion topped off with a $100 .22lr optic because you were too cheap to get a real one once you realized how terrible an idea this was.

vs

>spend like $350 on a significantly better rifle with scope like a cheap savage or mossberg
>better ammo and availability

OR

>spend the same amount as you would on the mosin project, get an absolutely fantastic tikka or whatever else suits your fancy, have an amazing sub-moa shooter

OR

>if you're really dead set on a surplus rifle get a fucking k31 AND DON'T BUTCHER IT YOU FUCKING FUCK RIFLE IS FINE

wow really hard choice there OP
>>
a historial society should have some kind of trust fund for rescuing abused milsurps and rehabilitating them to be released back into the wild.
>>
>>34596955
for the price of the archangel kit and a scope you could file paperwork and make an Obrez though.
>>
Pretty hard to mount optics on mosins...the original mosin snipers used a sidemount. I have tried a picatinny rail that mounts in place of the rear iron sight...it was a piece of shit and didn't hold zero. You can literally buy a Remington 770 for under $250, and it already comes with a chinese 3-9x scope pre mounted for you.
>>
>>34596955
Get the Savage, Mosins are worth it anymore, and the ammo is getting more expensive
>>
>>34597163
For 300 bucks?
>>
>>34597309

if we have the best examples in collections and museums why does it matter if the other ones get used and beat up? this stupid mentality that all historical weapons need to be in some giant indiana jones vault is just childish.
>>
>>34597583
Except that's not what's being said. You can keep and shoot old guns without fucking them up.
>>
>>34597583
Well, they're often kept in Indiana Jones vaults until they're found and sold off on the cheap until you can't find them in decent shape anymore.
>>
>>34597583
Not all guns should be safe queens, but there is literally nothing wrong with taking care of your rifle. Butchering it, letting the finish wear off, and letting it rust are all things that can be prevented, as we can see on guns dating back hundreds of years.
>>
>>34596955
RIFLE IS FINE
>>
>>34596955
>Not using ar-15 or ak-47 for base firing mechanism
Leave that mossing alone, Tyrone.
>>
Anons, Mosins aren't rare. I had an FFL back in the 90s and could buy them for like $50 in any style or quantity. Today I still see them for sale for cheap ($200) all over the place. They are as common as rocks. Go ahead and stick it in an Archangel stock. You're not destroying a rare piece of history, there are millions more where that came from waiting to be imported.
>>
File: 1500261587293.jpg (76KB, 720x528px) Image search: [Google]
1500261587293.jpg
76KB, 720x528px
>>34596955
Archangel stock is nice. It really reduces the recoil (vet buddy with screws in his shoulder could no longer shoot his without aggravation). Not to mention the cheek riser and detachable magazine.

It's also nice to have a bolt action with irons. Not to mention there's a cutout so carbine bayonets can fold up neatly. Can mount a bipod easily, but would still recommend a drill and tap for a scope mount.

It's a shitty turn of the century infantry rifle, who cares if you want to go crazy with it?
>>
>>34601556
>It's a shitty turn of the century infantry rifle, who cares if you want to go crazy with it?
It's the same thing they said with krags.

and 1903s

and mausers

They make dedicated hunting weapons for less now. there is literally no reason to go out and buy one of these for the express purpose of bubbaing it
>>
>>34597066
>hurr my history
>dont touch the gun that there are 15 millions of

get the fuck over your self
>>34596955
do whatever the fuck you want, i like the idea personally
>>
>>34601586
The exception being it was the second most produced firearm in the world including the AK platform as an entire series. And the fact that unless a drill and tap is performed, it can literally be put back into its original configuration.
>>
>>34601615
>all the mosins in the world are in the US

yeah, nah, you're a faggot. we're not getting any large number of new ones in anytime soon bud. enjoy your 500 dollar mosins with JB welded scopes
>>
>>34601640
>something that was never implied
>drill and tap is jb weld

nigga now you're just sputtering
>>
>>34601675
>it was the second most produced firearm in the world
this implies you think it's impossible for them to be of limited numbers in certain locations. (such as the US, which has import sanctions on nearly all of the countries that have loads of mosins lying around)

>drill and tap is jb weld
bubbas arn't the brightest kid. i've yet to see more than a handful of hackjobs that weren't more than duct tape and superglue.
>inb4 b-but i'm the exception!!!
>>
>>34601700
The utter amounts of straw you're stacking doesn't even warrant a legitimate response. The fact that I stated a legitimate gunsmithing technique and you're calling it bubba JB weld means you're not even capable of coherent thought.

I own multiple mosins and garands, you just sound like a /k/ faggot who took the "rifle is fine," meme too hard to actually be able to form an individual opinion anymore.
>>
>>34601757
>haha i like chopping up rifle
>w-what, non sporters cost 500 dollars now >:(
literally you. don't cry when people call you a faggot for your actions.
>>
>>34597196
fucking trump, fuck him. biggest gun grabber than any democrat in recent history.
>>
>>34601792
>chopping up

Hey dumb fuck, do you even know what a drop-in stock is? You argue like a liberal. Whenever a concrete point is brought up, you jump to something else and strawman the fuck out of it. Fuck off.

>oh lord he drilled and tapped a round receiver, non bolted Ishivek!
The horror!
>>
>>34601827
ten years from now
>a-all i did wuz dril n tap guiz, why won't anyone buy a ruined gun

lmoaing at you kid.
>>
>>34601853
Why the fuck would I sell my chink type 58 that looks like it was thrown off a boat? Why can't you actually have a legitimate debate instead of jumping off on retarded implications like the non-mentioned unto now point of selling?

Fuck off, I'm going to bed. Fair money that you don't even own a mosin.
>>
>>34601889
yer wrong kiddo. but i also don't stick epoxy on the barrel to fit a laser sight or rip out a leaded rear sight to fit on a scout scope. Can't say the same for you and your kind.
>>
File: 022-Verso.jpg (180KB, 597x427px) Image search: [Google]
022-Verso.jpg
180KB, 597x427px
>>34596955
Archangel stocks suck dick. My friend fell for the bubba Mosin meme and ended up hating his $800+ abortion of a """""precision rifle""""", and for good reason; it looked, felt and shot like a piece of shit. Luckily he listened to me when I told him to keep the original stock, he ended up reverting it back to its former state.

seeing as how Nuggets have gotten expensive you might as well just get a Savage Axis instead, which will do a far better job as a budget deer gun than a bubba'd Mosin. Daily reminder that the only acceptable Mosin bubba is the Lobanov double-barrel, which has yet to be recreated in this dimension.
>>
>>34601615
>every mosins is a cheap 91/30 and all of them survived every war they were used in
(You) gotta step it up senpai
>>
File: 1498628379176.jpg (25KB, 614x599px) Image search: [Google]
1498628379176.jpg
25KB, 614x599px
>>34601795
Yeah, except for the guy we had 6 months ago...
>>
>>34597188
more like 400-450 now if a m39 is 300 somethings wrong with it. probably a fucked stock or shot out barrel
>>
>>34596955

You can't polish a turd.
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.