[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So assuming that we develop robotic humanoid troops in the future,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 12

File: CFhWA.jpg (124KB, 970x546px) Image search: [Google]
CFhWA.jpg
124KB, 970x546px
So assuming that we develop robotic humanoid troops in the future, how accurate would they be? Would they be moderately more accurate then a human solider, better then anyone who isn't Simo Häyhä but unable to land a good portion hits on a moving target or when they are in a dead sprint themselves? Or would they be literal aimbots, regularly pulling off shots that no human can match, even being able hit shoot low flying aircraft or even serve as APS by shooting anti-tanks missile out of the air? Let's say the kind of software and combat platform that can be developed now or in the next 5 years.
>>
They would pull weather information from a local weather station, use internal sensors to determine the exact distance and angle to a target, and calculate a firing solution for each shot, custom tailored to their specific weapon.

I wouldn't be surprised if they would take a weapon to the range to determine how the manufacturing defects would alter a gun, compared to the standard for the weapon model.

Shooting is a numbers game, and computers are very, very good with numbers.
>>
>>34596789
That's kind of a silly question. They're going to be as accurate as we can afford to make them. We have computers doing calculations for artillery, so it's not a stretch that they can be developed for using small arms.
>>
If anything, they'll be shooting tiny self-propelled self-guided projectiles from launchers that they carry on hardpoints.
>>
depends how fast the jew its aiming at is.
>>
>>34596789
One of the many things I hated about the Total Recall reboot was the robots that couldn't aim for shit.

I assume identifying targets would be the biggest hurdle for autonomous killing machines, since you can't just send killbots into Raqqa and hope the civies stay underground.
>>
>>34597203
>you can't just send killbots into Raqqa and hope the civies stay underground.
That's where you're wrong, kiddo.
>>
>>34597203
Any time a robot misses anything at close range in any fiction it triggers me. I can more forgive missing long range shots, since there's more plain luck involved there.
>>
>>34597077
A supercomputer mounted on a stable truck calculating ballistic trajectories over a few seconds on a non-moving platform isn't the same thing as a tiny CPU on a human sized platform calculating the firing solution it's 600 RPM weapon in less then a second as well as coordinating the arms and legs at the same time. Even worse if the robot or the target is moving, you'll have to recalculate the firing solutions every time you or the target moves, again this all has to be done in a split second. And this is an age where it's hard enough to design robots that can even walk properly, the processing power needed is enormous and the software isn't there yet. Yet alone the hundred of different things involved in being a good shot in a combat zone.
>>
>>34596789
They would have a higher hit probability, but look at modern CIS, nothing is guaranteed. Hitting a moving object with another moving object is still pretty difficult without course correction.

If the target was sitting still, no problem, hit probability is probably in the high 90s if not closing in on 100% for most engagements.

With running targets though, there is so much that is unpredictable, from human nature to topography, etc. All sorts of things that take too much time to be entered into a computer and even then, human movement can be random either purposefully or accidentally.
>>
>>34597294
>the software isn't there yet.
That's the only correct thing in your paragraph.

Any processing unit capable of the above fits in a briefcase or less. Only electromagnetic shielding and/or armour brings that bulk out. The CPU needn't even be in the "head". If they have a head at all. More spare volume could be found in the bulk of the upper legs, for example.

This evolution is simply down to need, money, and national will. I suspect the current arrangement of sending lowly educated people, led by seemingly better educated people, to kill non educated people in some sandpit shithole is not cause to change/invest in anything. The leadership cares not for the "lowly educated group".
>>
>>34597294

literally your cell phone could do it.
>>
>>34597493
Fuck off with your liberal bullshit.
>>34597449
My PC can barely run call of duty let alone the real time calculations needed for walking, keeping balance and shooting a gun accurately. We're having trouble making humanoid robots that walk properly over even ground, let alone run over rubble while firing a gun at the same time. The problem is largely due to the software and lack of processing power.
>>
>>34597449
>I suspect the current arrangement of sending lowly educated people
you don't seem to have much faith in humanity
>>
>>34597449
He's right about robots barely able to walk on 2 legs, but let's be real, there are basically no advantages to the human form unless you're making Terminators.

You'd be better off with some sort of novel shape. Off the top of my head, something with treads would lack too much agility, so you're probably looking at one of those 4 legged DARPA things or if the science advances more, something like a big ass robot snake would actually be amazing. With integrated wheels it could be pretty fast and if it could replicate the strength of snake musculature it could climb just about anything and fight from any position from prone to standing 75% of it's frame up
>>
>>34597562
I agree. I think a dog form is better for load carrying and gun platform stability. An extendable neck with mounted sensors would aid in concealed viewing.

>>34597528
>Barely run call of duty.
I'm sorry for you loss Anon. Try to get something better, when you can. Don't get me wrong, I'm poor too.
>>
>>34597562
No matter what you do, robots will never match humans in combat. Not even on the firing range. We were literally born for combat, robots can't even walk, there's no way in hell some tincan is going to replace the best combat platform the universe has ever made.
>>
>>34596789
They would be insanely good, capable of inhuman feats of accuracy and reaction speed. Human limitations don't apply to them. Just look at the FCS on literally anything, we don't ask humans to eyeball things any more, except for infantry and shitty non CROW machineguns.
>>
>>34597562
>there are basically no advantages to the human form unless you're making Terminators.
are you fucking delusional?

>so you're probably looking at one of those 4 legged DARPA things
what, one of the 40 kg ones that can't achieve any leverage and has absolute shit mobility, or one of the 200 kg ones that will fall through floors?

>>34597594
>I think a dog form is better for load carrying and gun platform stability.
you absolutely want bipedal robots in modern combat. a quadruped is bad.
>>
File: 1497530899754.webm (731KB, 426x240px) Image search: [Google]
1497530899754.webm
731KB, 426x240px
It would be decades before we even see anything remotely useful for a battlefield, and even then it would just be stationary, with a human marking targets for it to destroy. People really underestimate just how powerful the human brain really is, and how it runs on practically nothing energy wise when compared to any AI.
>>
>>34597862
I'm just asking how good it would be at shooting things.
>>
>>34597680
>you absolutely want bipedal robots in modern combat. a quadruped is bad.

Why? Coz you said so. Arguments please.
>>
>>34596789
We're all talking about ai controlled robots but i think human controlled robots will come first.

Valve's lighthouse tech they use for vr already provides 2mm accurate hand and head tracking, you'd just need to put a sensor on every joint and have some sort exoskeleton to make sure the person isn't making any more movement than the robot is.
>>
>>34598791
1. all cities are currently built for humans. have fun getting through doorways when you're a 250 kg robodoggo.
2. bipedal anatomy allows for higher sensors, better balance, usable arms (admittedly this isn't much of an issue for robots since they have ball bearings and so on, but it's still important), and smaller cross section when needed
3. quadrupeds can not balance on narrow beams well, navigate tight paths well, or handle suspended objects well (picture how a dog robot would handle a wooden beam in front of it's path without jumping over said beam, or moving it)

there are places for quadrupeds, for example in logistics, but in combat they will not beat bipeds.

>>34598837
>Valve's lighthouse tech they use for vr already provides 2mm accurate hand and head tracking
that operates using a stable environment calibrated ahead of time. outside-in tracking won't work very well in constantly changing environments.
>>
>>34596789
What makes you think it wouldn't be a range of answers depending on a large number of variables?

Put in next to no money and effort into and you'll have tracked weapon carrier robots that need to be manually fired that never make it out of Aberdeen Proving Grounds. Put in a lot and you'll have gyro-stabilized fuel-cell-powered pogo-stick robots backflipping through Mosul shitting airbursting brilliant anti-personnel mini-missiles into hidden insurgent positions.

I never understand these "If we invent this technology, what's the one and only way it will be?" questions.
>>
File: IMG_4741.jpg (61KB, 711x399px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4741.jpg
61KB, 711x399px
The truth is we'll make them as smart as an average marine and as cheap as possible so we can flood the battlefield with them.

Maybe the special ops bots will be smarter.
>>
>>34598865
>that operates using a stable environment calibrated ahead of time. outside-in tracking won't work very well in constantly changing environments.

>human controlled robots will come first

I'm talking about tracking the soldier's movements to control the robot.
>>
>>34598943
i don't care, i'm telling you that lighthouse is shit for any use case that doesn't involve jerking off to anime women.
>>
>>34598941
>don't blame me, it's my programming

That one line eliminated any tension that could ever be possible in that show and relegated it to the levels of saturday morning cartoonery. How am I supposed to see these things as a legitimate threat when the robots themselves know that their creators made them shitty on purpose?
>>
>>34598953
You were telling me that it doesn't work unless it's calibrated.
It would be perfectly calibrated in a room somewhere in a military base while the actual robot is out in the field.
Why waste good technology just because it was made for video games? By the time we have good enough robots it won't even be lighthouse anymore, just something using the same concept.
>>
>>34598973
Well by nature they're disposable.

But yeah the whole battledroids with personalities is campy.
>>
>>34598973
fuck canon

droids in the vidyas are pretty threatening. Even B1s in republic commando can kick your ass if there's enough of them and B2 will make you shit your pants if you're low on shit that can kill them easily.
>>
What robots feels when they kills?
>>
They may not be one-man point defense turrets, but they'll be able to put a burst COM on a runner at 300 meters 100% of the time.

Abrams fire control computers can hit a moving target while also moving themselves, and that's 1980s technology. RWS today can use an M2 to snipe COM at a kilometer. Every robot is going to be a Tracking Point style ballistic computer at minimum: 100% hits on stationary targets at 1km to the limit of the weapon.
>>
In my college, there's right now a human sized robot you can ask to grab doritos for you on the table. He'll recognize a doritos pack from other shit on the table, and hands it to you.

Entering parameters to find friendlies/ennemies is an issue, but in an all-out kind of battle, it's already doable to have autonomous murder machines.
>>
>>34597862
>batteries
Are you fucking stupid? Batteries have been a meme for all of history.
They will run on generators powered by avgas.
>>
>>34599182
Tracking point cant dope for wind
Yet
>>
File: 1499172778147.png (118KB, 500x522px) Image search: [Google]
1499172778147.png
118KB, 500x522px
>>34600920
I don't see batteries anywhere in my post. Unless you are talking about the pic, in which case it's irrelevant. The point of my post was that the human brain is a LOT more energy efficent and advanced at basic things such as who can and cannot be shot at. It will be a very long time before a computer can do that well enough to replace a human operator.
>>
>>34597862
mind i ask what he's stabbing?
>>
>>34602546
Your hopes and dreams.
>>
>>34597294
>A supercomputer mounted on a stable truck calculating ballistic trajectories over a few seconds

You have no fucking idea what a supercomputer even looks like, let alone what it's capable of.

>>34596789
There is absolutely zero reason for them not to be able to hit a thing they accurately detect.
The only thing that could possibly ruin this is some extreme methods of fucking with their sensors but that's beyond the realm of meat and bones foot-soldiers.
>>
>>34602546
lithium ion battery
that thing that's in every phone, laptop and other rechargeable tech
>>
>>34596789
we can employ children to remote control them using console controllers
>>
File: K2-SO Final Scene.webm (3MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
K2-SO Final Scene.webm
3MB, 1280x720px
>>34596789
>>34597238
>>
File: 1471208737158.gif (4MB, 800x336px) Image search: [Google]
1471208737158.gif
4MB, 800x336px
>>
Wouldn't they just be telepresence though, like our current combat drones?

I mean it's already been announced our military is working on direct brain interfaces. We have all manner of satellites and drones in the air now.. I honestly don't see these things being full AI but rather remotely "piloted" by soldiers laying safely in a base somewhere with their direct interface putting them "inside" these telepresence droids, like a giant VR game.

If anything AI would likely be in the form of a server that monitors all incoming data from TP droids, drones, satellites, and ect. and makes split second decisions. Imagine every TPTroop has a private "channel" to the worlds smartest chatbot who just happens to know what the entire battlefield looks like and what the weather will be like, ect. They may even have confidentiality built in so that the individuals could talk/interact with the AI about things on their mind or bothering them so that the AI would have a better picture of troop morale and health.
>>
>>34605346
Also should point out that this way if one individual's knowledge or skills were needed at one place but he was piloting in another, they could jump him out of one droid and into another. I would like to think this would be no more confusing or disorienting than simply teleporting somewhere within a video game.
>>
>>34605346
Mass telepresence is a bad idea. You're basically one chaff grenade away from loosing entire platoons.
>>
>>34605210
too bad keliod was only just advertising
>>
I think it'll be more like Titanfall, where bots are used in conjunction with human soldiers to keep the human element and to keep them in line.
>>
>>34605578
You'd likely have one human sergeant and up to a platoon's worth of drones following his orders. The only humans on the battlefield would be doing the only thing they are capable of- providing creative thinking and bearing the responsibility when shit goes wrong, as well as the praise when shit goes right. The robots would be doing the actual labor.

>tfw no horde of dipshit robots to do your bidding and to carry all your kit while you jog around in your vest and with a pistol on your hip
>>
>>34605578
>Ywn have an ai buddy to uphold the mission with

Why even live
>>
>>34605578
Why does a robot need a codpiece?
>>
>>34605864
To protect the joint bearings from the legs to the torso as well as probable wiring. Or that's were it's robo-cock is so it can rape its enemies
>>
>>34596789
Tesy
>>
>>34605841
It's okay. You can still protocol 1 some sloots.
>>
>>34605896
>>Or that's were it's robo-cock is so it can rape its enemies

Seing what specters do at cutscenes, I wouldn`t be surprized if you are right...
>>
>>34605957
Getting Militia pilots addicted to robot cock is the only way to win the war.
>>
>>34600933
However, the tech for automated wind doping is known and compatible. The flow field is measured by laser, akin to a laser rangefinder.

it would be a simple firmware upgrade.
>>
>>34606033
IMC forces already are, and it's not helping them
>>
>>34597528
software yes, developing software to properly do those things is incredibly complex, processing power though? I doubt it, modern processors have come a long way and I have seen shitty old desktops do some insane calculations extremely fast.
>>34597493
is right, with the right software a smartphone could probably do it
>>
>>34596789
In the next 5 years? Not a fucking chance, I work as a process operator and our factory is filled with robots for all kinds of jobs and there is not a single day when some of the machines doesnt fuck up royally. One sensor has dirt/water/whateverthefuck on it and nothing works.
>>
>>34599110
robot feels
>>
File: viet.jpg (469KB, 1024x752px) Image search: [Google]
viet.jpg
469KB, 1024x752px
>>34596789
I can see tanks, ships, and planes largely being replaced by robots, but infantry I think are going to remain the specialization of humans. Especially if automation ends up taking a lot of jobs, since you'll have massive sections of the population with no job, sucking up resources, just waiting to be conscripted.
>>
>>34598941
>as smart as an average marine
Smarter than the average soldier, then. Good enough.
>>
File: UAV Online.jpg (87KB, 775x725px) Image search: [Google]
UAV Online.jpg
87KB, 775x725px
You may either have automated war machines mass produced in automated factories or power armored ridiculously kitted out soldiers supported by an entire net or automated support drones.
>>
>>34597548
Well you can look at a good portion of 4chan and easily understand why.
>>
File: 1500175727058.gif (3MB, 300x160px) Image search: [Google]
1500175727058.gif
3MB, 300x160px
>>34598941
>a robot that is insanely loyal, can shoot you at 500M and can do CQC?
Gif VERY related.
>>
File: pistol.jpg (435KB, 1600x1169px) Image search: [Google]
pistol.jpg
435KB, 1600x1169px
>>34596789
Keep in mind that it is possible (although I'm no expert) that the robots would be vulnerable to jamming, hacking, or EMP, or they would just be very high maintenance, in which case you want standard infantry to fight when all the other machines have been compromised or broken down.
Thread posts: 69
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.