[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Daily reminder the UK got lucky with the Spitfire and would be

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 10

File: IMG_7303-1024x683.jpg (121KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7303-1024x683.jpg
121KB, 1024x683px
Daily reminder the UK got lucky with the Spitfire and would be a German colony right now if they didn't have it
>>
>>34592515
they got lucky they were an island
>>
File: Hurricane.jpg (311KB, 1926x1223px) Image search: [Google]
Hurricane.jpg
311KB, 1926x1223px
>>34592515
this one did most of the work though
>>
>>34592515
daily reminder that the brits almost killed Hurricane due to introduction of Spitfire, then somehow they didn't & when the war started they actually had a fighter they could manufacture enough of to keep the Fighter Command in the fight, Spit was a bit too complex to manufacture in comparison.
>>
File: 1500361904284.png (485KB, 628x418px) Image search: [Google]
1500361904284.png
485KB, 628x418px
>>34592515
It wasn't just the spit, the Hurricane pulled more weight in interception, the early warning radar system was a decade ahead of most contemporaries in vision and efficacy, plus mosquitos, bomber command, the massive navy...
It's not just one lucky design.
>>
>>34592860
Plus Canuck pilots, lend lease, and Hitler's stupidity helped too!
>>
File: IMG_4739.jpg (45KB, 400x585px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4739.jpg
45KB, 400x585px
>>34592873
Should have said polish pilots!

141 polish vs 112 canucks
>>
>>34592873
Leafs, Poles, Czechs, Frogs, the odd Burger here and there...
>>
File: toot toot.jpg (82KB, 744x496px) Image search: [Google]
toot toot.jpg
82KB, 744x496px
>>34592515
>German colony right now if they didn't have it
> the royal navy isn't a thing
The home fleet would have descended like biblical locusts against the german fleet
German fleet 1940
2 Battleships
3 pre dreadnoughts
6 heavy cruisers
6 Light cruisers
42 Destroyers

Home fleet alone
5 Battleships
3 cruisers
9 destroyers
Then based around the uk:
3 Battleships
1 Battlecruiser
1 Carrier
7 cruisers
64 destroyers
numerous MTBs, Corvettes, minesweepers and submarines
Numerous other ships that will return from convoy duties

Lets not forget the Germans had no Amphibious assault vessels, or amphibious operational experience, and was relying on paratroopers to capture a port. (all of which had been mined and set to blow by the british), they set oil tanks to leak onto beaches and gas the landing grounds.

Ground forces included 1.5million LDVs (whos combat effectiveness is debatable, but would have undoubtedly have slowed the german advance to london)
900,000 british Troops across the UK (400,000 within a days march of the invasion area) (doesn't include canadian forces)
100 cruiser tanks 200 infantry tanks.

they had already set up a resistance movement in their own country.
>>
>>34592969
hypothetically if the french fleet hadn't been scuttled and Germany and Vichy France managed to use them, how would this shaped the outcome of naval engagements and control over the British Isles?
>>
>>34592523
Fpbp
>>
>>34594383
enough for Royal Navy to attack the French fleet when they refused to turn the ships over (in Bongs' defense the French admiral was kind of an ass towards the British negotiators & failed to inform them of the fact that he had every intention of scuttling his ships before turning them in to the Germans)
>>
>>34594383
Probably not much, british intelligence was top notch, and would have noticed any fleet movements.

The issues of lack of amphibious ships remain.

fallschirmjager would be slaughtered like on cyprus, but might still be able to attack a port from the rear, but i'd say it'd take a day or two, in the meantime any barges that land on a beach will either be gassed or on fire.

Should they manage to take a port intact, and dedicated german armoured and infantry units make it ashore it will take them a couple of days to unload, maybe they make a little progress, but i doubt they'll get half way toward London before they stall from logistical failures.

They would have probably had to wipe flatten villages from afar due to suicidal LDV ambushes. Lets not forget a lot of them were veterans of previous wars, and most were fanatic to do their part.

Unlike the germans, british coastal units were prepared to bayonet charge down into the beaches to litterally throw them back into the sea
>>
>>34592969
>operating under enemy air superiority
Hey, how did that go for the ships at Dunkirk again?
>>
>>34594553
since operation Dynamo succeeded, I'd say quite well.
>>
>>34594553
they only sank 6 destroyers out of 39 that took part...
Its kind of besides the point they evacuated 338,000 allied troops from dynamo alone

From operation Ariel rescued another 191,000, they even had enough time and room for 40,000 civilians
>>
>>34592515

The Spitfire is shit-tier in all simulators

The Typhoon is where it's at
>>
>>34594534
I definitely wasnt saying invasion, as Germany was ill prepared, I was more curious about if the Vichy navy could starve the Island out in prolonged siege or if that still would have been unlikely because of British naval capabilities, not just at home but across the world (this is a purely hypothetical situation) as wouldnt this also have affected dynamo as well as other operations?
>>
>>34594609
>WW2-era propeller fighter vs. modern jet plane

no shit, moron
>>
>>34594642
You funny guy

Not Euro Typhoon, Hawker Typhoon
>>
>>34594642
no, the prop typhoon you twat
>>
>>34594642

You must be over 18 to post on this site.
>>
>>34594642
he's probably referring to Hawker Typhoon, a WWII fighter famously used for V1 -hunting and ground attack
>>
>>34594642
Is this some fanny joke ?
>>
>>34594622
probably not, Ireland was neutral, and neutral flagged ships would probably have been able to dock their with the imported produce ad irish produce being taken across the border.

No doubt shortages would have been worse.

> In December 1939 Elsie Widdowson and Robert McCance of the University of Cambridge tested whether the United Kingdom could survive with only domestic food production if U-boats ended all imports. Using 1938 food-production data, they fed themselves and other volunteers one egg, one pound of meat and four ounces of fish a week; one quarter pint of milk a day; four ounces of margarine; and unlimited amounts of potatoes, vegetables and wholemeal bread. Two weeks of intensive outdoor exercise simulated the strenuous wartime physical work Britons would likely have to perform. The scientists found that the subjects' health and performance remained very good after three months, with the only negative results being the increased time needed for meals to consume the necessary calories from bread and potatoes and what they described as a "remarkable" increase in flatulence from the high amount of starch in the diet. The scientists also noted that their faeces had increased by 250 percent in volume. [26]

>The results—kept secret until after the war—gave the government confidence that if necessary, food could be distributed equally to all, including high-value war workers, without causing widespread health problems. Britons' actual wartime diet was never as severe as in the Cambridge study because imports from the United States avoided the U-boats,[26] but rationing improved the health of British people; infant mortality declined and life expectancy rose, discounting deaths caused by hostilities. This was because it ensured that everyone had access to a varied diet with enough vitamins

>>34594642
hawker typhoon, hes wrong, its all about that tempest
>>
Why are ww2 planes so AESTHETIC
>>
File: 15612562.jpg (110KB, 1200x630px) Image search: [Google]
15612562.jpg
110KB, 1200x630px
>>34594659
>>34594668
>>34594675
>>34594676
>>34594686

>Implying they didn't have bong travel tech to bring back a modern jet.
>>
>>34594642
>>34594676
in fact I had to think for a moment before I understood what you were talking about seeing how I almost never hear anyone refer to Eurofighter as "Typhoon", so to me "Typhoon" refers to the WWII -plane by default.
>>
>>34594693
>probably not, Ireland was neutral, and neutral flagged ships would probably have been able to dock their with the imported produce ad irish produce being taken across the border.
actually Germans didn't give two fucks about targeting shipping to and from Ireland precisely because of the possibility of such schemes, the Irish shipping was just as vulnerable to attacks as the British one, except shipping headed to Ireland couldn't rely on Allied naval power's protection beyond joining the Allied convoys & praying to every saint there is on the last leg to Ireland & first leg from Ireland where they were very much in the germans' patrol range.
>>
>>34594803
as a side note, some historian saw fit to point out that Ålandish ships, being technically neutral during the war, remained mostly safe from Allied and German attacks only because both sides knew that both sides were using Ålandish ships to transport goods for them & neither side could ever be sure which Ålandish ship was carrying cargo for which side at any given time.
>>
>>34594803
i don't know why i said that, its stupid in retrospect, i think i'm suffering from drain bammage
>>
>>34594609
Suggest you recheck the relevant dates, and compare Typhoon to appropriate later model Spitfires performance, not relying on some game's implementation of an earlier model...
>>
File: 1499619434241m~01.jpg (76KB, 545x391px) Image search: [Google]
1499619434241m~01.jpg
76KB, 545x391px
>>34592515
>>
Hey nerds, need help

Modelling SAAB's 1943 fighter, the j-21 for a game called il2. Struggling to find information, statistics, references thst kind of thing. Whats the best resource to go through?
>>
Why no love for the Beaufighter?
A plane that was great at its role, available and used to great effect.

Here's a great independent documentary on the Beaufighter in the pacific, lots of combat footage, interviews and stories from pilots of successful missions:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psUvAUw37D8
Highly recomended
>>
>>34595648
don't forget it has an early ejection seat, I doubt there's a ready animation for such a bail-out in the game
>>
>>34595725
>whispering death

has every plane in WW2 been called whispering death?
>>
>>34592523
and that they got handed an unarmed magnetic mine on a silver platter
>>
The bongs ran their air force better than the Germans. They also had a superior economy.

The battle for Britain was lost, the minute the Germans started bombing civilians. Instead of air fields and factories.
>>
>>34595104
>needing another country's army to defend your own
>>
If Germans had Paveway 2s and a working laser + camera system the war would have been won with BF109s bombing the shit out of everything.
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.