[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm considering getting a lever action rifle. My initial

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5

File: amelia trigun.jpg (55KB, 600x337px) Image search: [Google]
amelia trigun.jpg
55KB, 600x337px
I'm considering getting a lever action rifle. My initial choices are a .30-30 or .45-70, and I'm leaning towards .30-30 at the moment.

Pretty much my only criteria are
>non-straight grip
>caliber greater than handgun rounds such as .44 and .357
>side ejection
>loading gate in the receiver
>magazine tube which is flush with the muzzle

I'm thinking a Marlin Model 336C 30-30 Win.

What's /k/'s opinion? Is there a particular company that tickles your pickle for one reason or another?
>>
>>34590358
>toggle lock lever action
JAPAAAAAANNNNNNN!!!!!!!!
>>
>>34590374
Hmmm
>>
>>34590374
>>34590392
I had no fucking idea. I watch this a long time ago, I thought it was something like a cut down Browning BLR. Bizarre.
>>
.30-30 is a smaller caliber than .357 and .44.
Unless you mean more powerful
>>
>>34590424
Sorry, I did mean that. Thanks for the correction.
>>
File: long ranger Henry.png (3MB, 5916x1444px)
long ranger Henry.png
3MB, 5916x1444px
>>34590358
So you've got a lot of options in a way and few options at the same time.
So the common calibers are 30-30, 45-70, (rifle)
22LR, 357mag, 41mag, 44mag 460S&W and 500 S&W, (pistol)
not common calibers that can be hard to get ammo along side the hard to find rifles.. 38-55 Winchester, 32 Winchester special. 35 Remington. 375 Winchester. 444marlin ( I have a 444marlin).. Then there are the 1895 Winchester that use rifle calibers. 303 brit, 30-40 krag, 405 Winchester. Also, Henry makes that new Long ranger lever gun with a box mag. So it's chambered in rife calibers. 308, 243, and 22..I think. no irons, all scope on that rifle. Most guns have a straight stocks due to the design of the lever. I would say, give the straight stocks a try and see if you like it. But if your dead set on a pistol grip, non-stright, stock. Then Marlin is the maker that comes to mind. So you can get the regular 336 that you brought up.
There is also the Glenfield in 30-30. Glenfield Is a cheaper version of Marlins. Not sure on the difference between Glenfield and Marlin, I think the Glenfield has cheaper wood on the stock and the fit and Finnish is not as good as the Marlin.
lastly There is the Western Field M72 in 30-30. Western Field is Montgomery wards Version of the Marlin 336... I think. So back when Montgomery Ward, which was Sears Direct competitor, was in biz. And guns shops didnt need a FFL to sell guns. You could by guns from Sears, Montgomery Ward, Western auto. So Montgomery Ward had there own shelf brand of outdoor and hunting stuff. All marked Western Field. The Western Field M72 is a direct copy of the marlin 336, but much like the Glenfield, the fit and Finnish not as good as Marlin. While They are not Marlin, Glenfield and Western Field are great bang for the buck guns. Plus you don't see the guns often.
Be sure to look up this stuff so you can make a good call when your ready to buy, and as always. Practice good gun safety.
>>
>>34591091
would you recommend this in 243 as a scout rifle?
>>
File: DUBYA.jpg (105KB, 500x333px)
DUBYA.jpg
105KB, 500x333px
>>34591091
Thanks for all the info, bud. What a comprehensive and useful post! This kinda shit is why I come here.
>>
>>34591530
>>34591753
Glad to be of help. Ill try to answer ya'll questions tomorrow. Shutting down for the night on this end.
>>
>>34591873
Night, my dude, I should follow suit. Been looking up Glenfields a bit while having M*A*S*H playing in the corner. There's one on Gunbroker for $300. I'll link it here in case anyone else wants to snap it up; I won't have the money to actually move on anything for a bit yet, but that deal's fuckin' good.

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/667808690
>>
>>34591753
I got a new marlin 336 a couple months ago. Some shit i gotta say is the iron sights are too puny and i dont like them. Both thw rear and front sight are on the barrel and they are off center eith the reciever it's like the barrel was very slightly turned so noe the sights are slanted, look out for that if you buy one. A rail is super easy to install and youre most likely gunna want to get one, i got a cheap one for $11 along with a cheap $50 9x scope and it works fine for target shooting. Im about to buy some ghost ring sights or this rail that comes with some. Anyways, its a nice gun and dont buy cheap ammo, i used some cheap"Hornandy" (i think thats what it was called) ammo and that shit had a problem with every casing being stuck, one time i had to take the bolt out just the get a casing out of there.
>>
>>34591091
How could you forget .45 Colt? .45 Colt is a perfect round if you're shooting less than 100 yards and you can get some pretty hot factory loads from buffalo bore.
>>
File: 73toggles.jpg (69KB, 935x611px)
73toggles.jpg
69KB, 935x611px
>>34590374
majority of the oldwest levergats are use a toggle though
>>
I have a 336C and i fucking love it, great gun.
Totally recommend it.

I do advise putting a scope on it though, not a big fan of the irons.
>>
>>34590392
I fucking love Trigun. Designs were top tier stuff.
>>
>>34590358
I love my 336, just make sure you give the rifle a good QC check. Like a lot of companies these days marlin is lacking in the department of checking their products before shipping them out.
>>
>>34590392
You wouldn't happen to have more like this would you?
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.