[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So how would plasma and laser based small arms look like in real

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 14

So how would plasma and laser based small arms look like in real life?

Also: Xcom /k/ general.
>>
>>34579397
Anon I...
>>
>>34579397
Not with big glowy red bits.Probably won't even be able tell them apart, given that the international community eradicated the alien menace last year.
>>
>>34579397
I'd want all the lasers to be custom ingraved with "This'd be plasma if you weren't such a shit shot".

On a more serious note, the XCOM project needs better LBE stat
>>
File: 1455216853807.png (27KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1455216853807.png
27KB, 250x250px
>>34579693
>>
>>34579397

Until 2100? Vehicle mounted only outside of dazzlers.

Past 2100? Still no reason to use anything but ballistic weapons for infantry. There are no new wonder materials to discover, and ones currently in development provide no armor advantage over steel and ceramic.
>>
>>34579397
Blind you with every shot. Granted, current small arms deafen you.
>>
File: 20170714174453_1.jpg (421KB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
20170714174453_1.jpg
421KB, 2560x1440px
Rate, hate, appreciate
>>
>>34580572
I look forward to what people make with the photo booth.
>>
>>34579397
plasma would probably be a glass shroud ogive that is propelled by a super dense napalm like substance, i have little doubt its first uses might render its use considered a war crime.

lasers would be series of hyper efficient laser diodes programmed to focus on a given distance based on optimal thermal payload in nanoseconds, and deliver a explosive energy to that area. some sort of hyper efficient capacitor is needed for this.
>>
>>34579397
In space, I could imagine a use for them there. But on earth? We might run into a problem.
Our atmosphere. It's too thicc.
In sense, our air would block a lot of the laser's energy before it would reach its target, and more so the further it goes. At its worst, we could give the other guy a sunburn.
>>
>>34579925
>There are no new wonder materials to discover, and ones currently in development provide no armor advantage over steel and ceramic.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aggregated_diamond_nanorod
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fullerene

Or have I been rused by the popsci jew?
>>
File: HighEx.png (9KB, 640x400px) Image search: [Google]
HighEx.png
9KB, 640x400px
What is this Nancy-fied plasma bullshit? Real men don't need any of that Cydonian space jewry to cleanse God's green Earth. All that's required is good, wholesome high explosives to turn back the filthy alien hordes(and maybe some lasers for base defense otherwise you'll never hear the end of it from the bean-counters).

If any improvements were to be made, I'd have the factory boys form the Composition B into a football shape before shipping it out so the lads could throw it further just like Ice Cube in that Three Kings movie.
>>
>>34583000
And then, Ayys never approached planet Boom ever again.

Fin.
>>
File: laser_gun.jpg (47KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
laser_gun.jpg
47KB, 600x450px
If it weren't for laser swords, plasma would be the most infeasible weaponry ever. It's stupidly energy intensive, difficult to contain, and rapidly dissipates. But in a game in which you melt people with your brain, shit is so cash.
>>
>>34583000
>throw the bomb

Absolutely Haram.
>>
File: 56853.png (106KB, 300x265px) Image search: [Google]
56853.png
106KB, 300x265px
>>34583000
Amen brother, there is only one true path.
>>
>>34583000
Playing Superhuman/Ironman without research and using only council funds, explosives are your best friend. What a blast.
>>
>>34579397

deceptively simple, plain, and pragmatic.
>>
>>34579693
The light plasma rifle gives you aim bonus tho
>>
>>34583000
>tfw you fail throwing a grenade have to drop it on the ground run away your friend runs up to grab it and throw it except he can't throw it far enough so your other squad mate has to run up grab it and rethrow it, then it happens again a second time with the rest of your squad decides one grenade isn't going to be enough
>>
>>34579397
Big battery, tiny benis.
>>
File: pew_pew.jpg (106KB, 1280x696px) Image search: [Google]
pew_pew.jpg
106KB, 1280x696px
>>34589941
Original-Com plasmas had expendable ammo clips that cost ~50% of what the weapon did while lasers were no reload+infinite ammo. When the giant stony motto carved above the access elevator reads "THRIFT" (which in X-Com you know it does) you couldn't beat lasers for ammo cost, inventory efficiency, and mediocre auto-fire power.
>>
>>34579693
I got some buckshot with your name on it faceless son of a bitch
>>
>>34593666
What this guy said >>34593492 or are the Faceless such shit infiltrators that they bitch about equipment when we all know actual troopies shout "Rip & Tear" while foaming at the mouth ... or mag-dump blue-on-blue whilst pissing themselves.
>>
File: Fire_fighters_practice.jpg (190KB, 1200x776px) Image search: [Google]
Fire_fighters_practice.jpg
190KB, 1200x776px
>>34579397
Hope you've got a Mercury Era fetish because whatever the weapons look like, your squad is going to rocking something like this in order to beat the (waste) heat.
>>
>>34596932
why shoot lasers when you can just blind your enemies
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzUoe-9bKa0
>>
>>34593492
It wasn't infinite ammo the game caps out at like 255 for laser weapons on small arms and tanks. For real it's free to play newb I went and bought it a few years ago because it's pretty good not sure if I should get xcom2 or wait till xenonaughts rolls out a sequel.
>>
>>34579925
Accuracy. A laser moves far faster than a bullet and isn't affected by gravity nearly as much.
>>
File: club.jpg (106KB, 996x480px) Image search: [Google]
club.jpg
106KB, 996x480px
>>34599031
If they burn through 255 primary ammo, auto-fire or no, they DESERVE to be ordered in to finish off the enemy with stun rods only.

Blind Troopie:" But Boss, the last enemy is a Floater Commander and we don't have any flying suits."

Commander:"Then quit wanking your mate and climb on his shoulders, because that Floater won't stun himself into submission."

Blind Troopie:"Do we have to, sir?"

Doubly-irate Commander:"Yes, and call me WARLORD of EARTH. I didn't level cities on four continents and sell alien death-rays to every schlub with hard currency to be called 'Boss' like I managed a 7-eleven."
>>
File: akira.jpg (1MB, 2560x1600px) Image search: [Google]
akira.jpg
1MB, 2560x1600px
Eternal reminder that we have plasma weaponry.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MARAUDER
>>
>>34601143
Doesn't actually work as a practical weapon.
>>
File: you_know_theres_a_dick.jpg (1MB, 1824x2551px) Image search: [Google]
you_know_theres_a_dick.jpg
1MB, 1824x2551px
>>34602584
*yet
>>
>>34599807
lol it's kind of shitty but I do end up ordering troops that pissed me off in missions to be stun jockies. Normally the rookies start off on stun rod duty pistol+grenade+stunrod usually the guys with medium to okay stats so they get to prove their worth if they survive being stun jockies they get to grow up and get the good weapons I give to the veteran troopers. Guys that piss me off on a mission accidentally killing a team mate, or getting other team mates killed on those things you kind of have to gamble on get demoted to stun jockies.

One time I ran through all my ammo just about, my laser tanks got destroyed, floater fucking took up in a second or third story building that my bazookas destroyed the stair way to. Like maybe 2 or 3 of my vets only had personal armor everyone else was going slick. Used the last of my damn grenades trying to poke a hole in the walls to get a line of sight on the bastard because there is a glitch with flying units they can't always descend in stair ways and it was like 2-4 feet tall without me being sure what floor he was on so I couldn't poke a hole in the roof for him to get out either by throwing a grenade. Used up the last of my ammo trying to blast holes in the walls. Didn't have laser tanks had 2 rocket tanks that got damaged so their aim was off and leveling everything else on the map with what was left with their limited ammo. I think I lost a few guys freaking chrysallids running around and a night mission I spent like an hour playing for it to end in a stand off with that damn floater and me having to drag everything I could find off the field and drop it on the ship to retreat.

Xenonaughts handled laser tanks so much better, the blast radius at least made up for the terrible aim unlike in xcom. Wasn't really worth using the laser tanks in that one even 255 ammo isn't enough to level buildings and the terrible aim they're just shitty scouts.
>>
File: 20170709203142_1.jpg (238KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
20170709203142_1.jpg
238KB, 1920x1080px
>>34579397
Should I start posting chars I made with mods from XCom 2?

Fuck it.

>tfw you will never have a magnetically accelerated FAL
>>
>>34603253
but yeah when I play xcom it's usually scorched earth tactics with terrestrial explosives, veteran troops get a bazooka +1 or 2 large rockets, 2 rocket tanks. backup pistol+hand grenades. Entire map gets leveled and the computer starts lagging from all the smoke and dense smoke all over, aliens and my own troops end up passing out from smoke overloading their hit points and losing consciousness if the explosions don't kill them.
I have no idea how older computers and playstation managed to render all of it
>>
File: 20170608022617_1.jpg (304KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
20170608022617_1.jpg
304KB, 1920x1080px
Story character I've had in a few things I've written.
>>
>>34583000
In classic xcom I would sell all the grenades and issue everyone an HE charge, even to the endgame.

No regrets.
>>
>>34603311
Grenades are way better in classic. They do get obsolete for outright killing things mid to late game but they do work well for damaging a enemy so they're easier to take down with stun rods. Plus if it gets near a power source it won't take it out with an explosion that's going to kill 1 or 2 of your guys, destroy any living aliens, all the corpses and dropped equipment.
>>
>>34603817
I actually ran into a problem mid/late game doing this but early if you prime the grenade then throw it on the shoulder slot I always had one slot for a primed smoke grenade, and one for a primed regular grenade, so I'd know what was primed or not in case they go down to try and pick it up and throw it, but it costs only a few tu to draw from the shoulder, even if you miss the throw a little bit it's not as bad as missing a shot with all your tu gone you're still probably going to catch them in the blast radius. early game your guys aim is probably going to be so bad they can't hit them crouched 1 tile next to them.
>>
>>34603817
>Plus if it gets near a power source it won't take it out with an explosion that's going to kill 1 or 2 of your guys, destroy any living aliens, all the corpses and dropped equipment.
The AI would usually panic at that point and ND into the explody bridge consoles half the time. Fuck collateral damage, we got a planet to save!
>>
>>34602584
sure it doesn't
the lack of success is why they scrubbed the indepth shit off the internet (including the WAYBACK archive)
>>
>>34579397
plasma would be fucking dangerous in today's setting considering we still have plastic-based fabric-based armor. go ahead and expose that to a small lump of multi-thouand degrees matter. might not hit hard, but it would set your ass on fire.
>>
File: ayyysgohome.jpg (109KB, 900x504px) Image search: [Google]
ayyysgohome.jpg
109KB, 900x504px
>>
>>34606475
>how ADVENT sees XCom
>>
>>34579397
> plasma and laser

Lasers are easy, they would look like cameras with giant condensators on the back and maybe acting as a buckstock and handgrip on the front. Whats more interesting(and something almost everybody forgots) is that if lasers are employed people would have to wear glasses as protection or face blindness for the rest of their lives(and no, closing your eyes doesn't work)

Plasma weapons welp, thats harder, but I would say that they would rather look like coilguns with deposits for the plasma that would look like flamethrowers at first sight
>>
>Yfw we already have plasma weapons

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/MARAUDER
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.