[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Aluminum frame, with a steel pin seized in place. Need to drive

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 5

File: are the mods gone.png (17KB, 778x490px) Image search: [Google]
are the mods gone.png
17KB, 778x490px
Aluminum frame, with a steel pin seized in place.

Need to drive that shit out, I do have a proper size pin punch but the thing will not budge.

Will letting it soak in unfuck spray make it finally mobile ? Are there any other fucky techniques a home gunsmith could use to drive it out ? Will incessant battering with said punch make the pin mushroomed much like a rivet ?

A thread doomed to autosage, a thread dedicated to gunsmithing and idiots dedicated to the subject.

Let's talk about gunsmithing.
>>
>>34578947
Do you have a good bench vise? If you don't secure your frame properly, driving out pins becomes extremely difficult. Wtf has a steel pin in an aluminum frame anyway?

Step 1. Soak the pin in penetrating oil. I prefer Kroil. Let it sit for a while before attempting to drive out the pin again.

Step 2. Apply heat. You can use a hair dryer or a propane torch to heat the pin. Attempt to drive it out while it's still hot.

If all else fails, use a milling machine or a drill press to drill the motherfucker out of there.
>>
>>34578947
sometimes you need to drive them from the other direction, and i would second the heat suggestion.

consider just drilling it out before you do too much crazy shit to it, sometimes it's just about minimizing damage.
>>
>>34579003
A proper bench vise is one of the only decent things present in my life, got a good set of non-marring jaws for it too.

However, will the heat from a hair dryer be enough to warp dem dimensions enough ? Direct flame from a torch or equivalent are off the table since i can't afford to damage the frame, it's an ancient offshore produced beretta 950 in .25acp. I won't drill the pin out because my drill press is made of chinesium alloy and can't be trusted for shit.
>>
>>34579127
Heating the thing up probably won't warp it if you've got the frame otherwise stripped down. What's the pin diameter? I can probably tell you how much heating you'll need.
>>
>>34579367 here.
An addendum, with some bad news. Knowing that it's an ancient .25 auto Beretta comes with the prediction that the pin is pretty small.

Let's assume a 1/8 inch pin with 0.001 inches of interference. This "one thousandth of an inch" comes from the fact that the stiffest "locational interference fit" for a nominal .125 inch pin is 0.0009 inches of interference at most. This is something that is meant to not be removed, or should take at least an arbor press to push out. To get that much differential expansion in that size of a pin (aluminum expanding more than steel), and thus open the interference up by that much, you'd need to increase the temperature of both by around 1600 R (absolute Fahrenheit). That's 930 K (absolute Celsius). At this point, linear thermal expansion is invalid because you're melting the damn thing. Even at half that interference, you'd probably need to heat the assembly to 500 deg C, which is 80 butt-puckering K away from melting 6061.

Hopefully >>34579090 is correct and the pin is just tapered, and you can still drive it out when you hit it from the opposite side. Otherwise, take it to a gunsmith.

OP, how did you arrive at the conclusion that this pin needed to come out?
>>
>>34578947
Holy fuck OP, that's a pretty ancient image you have there. I drew it! I haven't seen it since like, 2012 or 2011 when I first posted it
>>
>>34578947
>Aluminum frame
Oh boi you sure done fucked up
>>
>>34579768
I'm not doubting anything you say here, but is the interference fit actually the problem?

I would think that the pin is frozen in place due to the galvanic reaction between aluminum and steel.
>>
>>34579090
here, if this is the case
>>34579768
i would take a dremel with a diamond bit and cut the center out of both ends of the pin then drive it with a punch while there is just a this sheath of the pin in contact with the frame on both sides. but i'm better than a dentist with a drill.
>>
>>34579916
Whether corrosion would get the pin stuck or not depends on the electrolyte. The aluminum would protect the steel, in any case. If corrosion is suspected, it could be slightly reversed by forcing current into the aluminum. This carries the risk of corroding the steel.
>>
Soak it in oil for 24 hours. Drive the pin out from left to right. Use a vise with padded jaws. Support the hell out of the part. Use a heavy ball-peen hammer and a Starret punch.

Q: does this pin really need to come out? Or are you just taking this thing apart "just because?"
>>
>>34579768
OP here, the only gunsmith I have ever known died about three weeks ago at the ripe age of 91.
He accepted my help as an apprentice but could never remember who I was until I presented our contract containing his handwritten signature. His first name was Gerhardt and he settled down here in the 50's. Weird old son of a bitch made gears for fishing reels out of brass stock on his lathe, which was adorned with strange european or south american 9.1mm brass shells.

Anyhow, the trigger guard interfaces with the pivoting barrel, and it's made of spring steel of some sort with no surface finish remaining. Pitting and coarse rust are interfering with the trigger pull making it real fucking gritty. To solve this issue I need to remove the pin that retains the trigger/disconector assembly in place.

soaked in counterfeit kroil, maybe it'll work.
>>
I have a question for you smiths: how are shotgun magazine tubes typically connected to the receivers? are they forged that way, screwed and pinned on, or do they weld it in from inside the receiver?
>>
File: 1365183253213.jpg (97KB, 798x456px) Image search: [Google]
1365183253213.jpg
97KB, 798x456px
>>34580245
I absolutely cannot afford starret punches. And as much as I'd be willing to sling drugs to afford em they'd be overpriced and very rare here in my unchosen patch of land. My punch set is made by taurus.

Yeah, that taurus.
>>
>>34578947
Throw it inna microwave.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVODJm05plw
>>
>>34581431
It does depend on what gun you have, some magazine tubes are attached by counter clock wise threads usually containing some thread locking fuckery you can bypass by heat.

Others are friction fit and pinned, thin threaded, or cammed together by interrupted threads. Post some pics you faggot
>>
>>34581431
depends on the gun
moss is threaded
rem is brazed if somethings bent the guns fucked
>>
>>34581453
Functional microwaves are expensive here, AvE is neat but fuck no.
>>
>>34581473
>Post some pics you faggot
it's just a question dude. I know my a5's mag tube is threaded, but my buddy's 870 is a fixed tube. just trying to figure out the main consensus as to what was the norm.
>>
File: shotty referens.jpg (362KB, 550x2359px) Image search: [Google]
shotty referens.jpg
362KB, 550x2359px
>>34581605
nigga there are so many shotguns
>>
>>34581521
>functional microwaves are expensive here
What the tuck, how? It's a metal box with a coil duct taped to one side. You could HAND WIND the transformer coil and it would be market viable. How the fuck can you afford miniature explosion pills contained in a steel tube but not be able to run electricity through a coil of copper wire?
>>
File: 20170718_113801.jpg (1MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20170718_113801.jpg
1MB, 3264x1836px
I just had to machine a tiny ass screw. Pic related is the fancy engineering drawing I made. I'm like motherfuckin' John Browning over here
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.