[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Since the Solar Warden program is all but confirm, what do you

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 12

Since the Solar Warden program is all but confirm, what do you think the entry requirements would be to join the space branch?
>>
>>34577334
Faith in The Emperor
>>
Agreeing that the spice must flow!
>>
>>34577334
Are those playstation wands
>>
File: 1487802174917.png (417KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1487802174917.png
417KB, 640x480px
>>34577334
So this dude went all haxor nova on the us gov and found all this shit, but didn't find any info on how any of that shit works? personnel? contracts with corporations? literally nothing?
>>
>>34579404

McKinnon did hack NASA, this is confirmed. He couldn't save anything though as he was concerned about them finding him, and he was worried of taking pictures if there happened to be any pixel trackers or otherwise embedded markers in the images of the data base he might have taken. They got him anyway because he went public with what he claims to have found. I am not sure how much I believe him, the files he stumbled upon could have just as easily been some sort of gag. Just as we don't know if the infamous wikileak cable about the Moon is real or just an inside joke by the state department.
>>
>>34577334
>minimum 3,800 personnel just to crew the ships
>200 billion dollars just to build the fleet
>"above earth's hemisphere"
Where did they build them? Where are the mystery crews? How are the crews shuttled to and from the ships?
>>
>>34579704
so nothing then...
>>34577334
:\ T B H if we had stuff like this, why doesn't the US/NATO give deuces to Earth and start doing offworld shit?
>>
File: 10490280.jpg (132KB, 540x612px) Image search: [Google]
10490280.jpg
132KB, 540x612px
>>34577334
>weight: ~59,770 tons
Okay, assuming this is metric tons, and that this shit was launched in the 80s using Space Shuttle-tier technology:
It would've cost around $10,000 to lift a pound of material into space.
Just one of those hypothetical ships weighs 131,770,300 lbs.
That's $1,317,703,000,000 per ship.

One point three TRILLION dollars.

ONE POINT THREE FUCKING TRILLION DOLLARS.

Now, that's in today's money. In 1988, that would've been roughly 636 billion USD per ship, or about a quarter of the US's entire national debt at the time.

That's just to LAUNCH the fucking things. God only knows how much it would cost once you account for R&D, designing the damn things, engineering everything, building them IN SPACE, crew training, manning them, fueling them, shipping up regular supplies for the last 30 years, etc.

And this guy wants us to believe the US has EIGHT of these fucking things?

No. Just no.
>>
>>34579704
What's the shit about the moon?
>>
>>34581790
Also somehow the Soviets missed the launch of 480,000 tons of stuff with their early warning system designed to detect launches with ~1 ton throw weight, the same system that sent a warning up to the Russian president over a single sounding rocket.

It never fails to amaze me that conspiracy theorists completely ignore the fact that other nations exist.
>>
conspiracy theorists are funny as fuck right up until you remember that they get to vote too
>>
File: rex-w-tillerson.jpg (16KB, 400x280px) Image search: [Google]
rex-w-tillerson.jpg
16KB, 400x280px
>>34579704
>Moon is real or just an inside joke by the state department.
The State Department made the moon as a joke?

That is a new one.
>>
>>34579704
>I hacked NASA!
>but I didn't actually save anything
>I-I was afraid of them finding me!
>>
File: skylon.jpg (64KB, 625x430px) Image search: [Google]
skylon.jpg
64KB, 625x430px
>>34581824
>It never fails to amaze me that conspiracy theorists completely ignore the fact that other nations exist.
this
Is it bad that the brits funding a space plane really really concerns me?

You ever met a a brit? you ever wondered why they're so passive aggressive? its because these past years they've been biding their time, they know the day of reckoning and return is soon.

They already have the economy of the world in its vice.
>>
>>34581978
I'd love to see a return to white, British colonialism in the form of a space race.

Maybe spaceBrits will have decent gun laws offworld, too.
>>
>Since the Solar Warden program is all but confirm
fuck you
>>
>>34581790
im a flat earther and dont believe in space. there is more land thats hidden to be colonized. point is that theres alot of missing money and welfare dont make a dent in the collection of tax payer money
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GYNVNhB-m0o
>>
>>34581799
>>34581863
>>34581843

He did, the government is currently prosecuting him for the hack. So it did happen. And again, he was only caught because he went public with what he claims to have found.

As for the moon. There is a cable on WikiLeaks about a US moon base being destroyed by the Soviets.
>>
>>34581987
>decent gun laws
>When 5mm of aluminium is all that splits you from the utterly empty void
>>
>>34581987
>British colonies having decent gun laws
I'm afraid I have some good and some bad news for you anon...
>>
>>34582164
they were pretty good up to 1920, its all the IRAs fault.
>>
>>34582171
Weren't so good in 1774, I'm afraid. As soon as they see taxes ain't coming, them aluminium coats are gonna ban import of mass drivers and take your ballistic weaponry immediately.
>>
>>34582185

>It's the year 2157
>The sun has risen on the English Space Empire
>Tea for thousands of space miles
>Universe wide crack down on poo in loos they have dragged with them
>You still have to fucking pay the TV license fee
>>
>>34582185
>Weren't so good in 1774
don't revolt then.
The right to bear and keep arms was originally a british concept, the problem is the "british constitution" is made up of thousands of different documents, and is not solid, with new laws and legislation coming in and out of it all the time.

Its kind of beside the point as the british only disarmed militias and not individuals.

In retrospect the whole revolution is kind of a blunder, taxes were raised in order to drive indians out further west and build infrastructure so it could be further colonised.

Before you know it there's retards in the street, feather and tarring, and a war for MPs in parliament.

Before you know it Britain's in a war with the french, the dutch and the Spanish and they subvert the will of the people from representation to republicanism because they asset denial and a future ally.
>>
>>34582232
>don't revolt then.
Not with this fucking TV licence fee!
>>
>>34582247
>Not with this fucking TV licence fee!
Who the fuck watches TV these days?
>>
>>34582252
>he doesn't know at least four hours of BBC per day is mandatory across the British Astral Empire
I envy you
>>
File: british empire in space.jpg (49KB, 768x432px) Image search: [Google]
british empire in space.jpg
49KB, 768x432px
>>34582214
> Year 42 of the age of the era known as the age of expansion
> Kate and Bill have recently ascended to empress and emperor
> The Empire have recently conquered a race of near humans
> Get them hooked on various items such as Ketamine, Tea, and shiney cutlery from the colony of new sheffield
> All firearms are regulated but easy to get if you have a genuine reason for owning them, lazy people complain about how hard it is
> Licences for AI are £45, a reasonable price, but everyone complains
> Shitting in the streets is a sexual offence punishable by being shot out of a mass accelerator toward the nearest star
> Queuing is in force, with any citizen allowed to kill another for stepping in front of another
> Coca-Cola brand Tea has recently changed back to its regional formula,
> Who the fuck at coca cola thought that people wen't going to notice ketamine being substituted for amphetamine
> All drugs are legal, but ketamine is sponsored by the govornment
> Imperial constabulary walk the streets of cities, Imperial Colonial Mounted police police the rural areas, mostly used for giving directions to lost tourists
> Chips and fish are mandatory on a Friday night
> Saturday night has the choice between curry or Canton food by law
> Sundays Have roastbeef or BBQ by law
> the only excuse for not having that is getting blind drunk down a pub
> It is frowned upon to talk about sex, but everyone has the weirdest sex lives
> A teapot is now confirmed as in orbit around the sun
The sun never sets on the teapot.
>>
>>34582232
Pretty much this.

Don't get me wrong, I fucking love the US Constitution and seeing the original Bill of Rights was the closest thing to a religious experience I have had but the Revolutionary War weakened the "western" world.

Britain was a free place and so were its colonies. Yes, they had forgotten that their colonies also deserved all of those freedoms but even with much of the British constitution ignored American colonists were the 2nd freest people in the world. We were far, far better off then the French or the Russians, to say noting of the non-European nations. And shortly after the revolution when Britain changed governments central control of the Canada and Australia was greatly reduced, a diplomatic solution was a real possibility if both sides had made concessions. Even today you never realize how much to take habeas corpus (a British concept) for granted until to run into police in a nation without it, which is most of non-ex-British nations.

And what did the Revolution really accomplish?
No much other then codify that the rights of Britons applied to American and shorten the clusterfuck that is the unwritten British constitution of president and dozens of different, overlapping documents into one (two) concise documents. Again, two of the best documents ever produced by mankind, but still, the really important parts of those (habeas corpus) were already enshrined in British law. And for that the Anglosphere was greatly weakened. You can hardly imagine that the French and latter Germans would have been as damaging to the Anglo led world order as they were OTL if the Empire/Commonwealth could have called upon the resources of the Americas to combat Napoleon/Wilhelm II/Whoever.
>>
>>34582314
>A teapot is now confirmed as in orbit around the sun
>The sun never sets on the teapot.

Kek
>>
>>34581987
I've been kind of wanting to write something set in a US/ Britain space cold war with a spehss british empire vs. generic US space force but every time I get a little closer to putting pen to paper I remind myself it's a stupid idea and stop.

Is it a stupid idea?
>>
>>34582375
You gave up before you even tried. Writing is not for you. Go away.
>>
>>34582375
If you based it on the US and Britain as they are today, it'd make little sense.

If you went back to, say, the early Cold War and threw Britain into the space race, then you might be onto something. Maybe have a major launch site based in Australia, for the down-under equivalent of Houston.

If a full-on space race continued after the moon landings, perhaps between a European space union headed by the British with America as their main competitor, you could optimistically theorize that we'd have colonized much of the solar system by now, and long-haul colony ships could even be en-route or landed on far away exoplanets, fighting each other for resources and territory.
>>
>>34582375
I'm writing something along those lines.
Basically some years before the novel is set:
> Earth descends into last world war
> Commonwealth reunited as one pan global super state
> People forced to live in walled cities outside the commonwealth
> Mutants force a mass exodus fro earth
> mutants form their own species
> Humans drive them from earth one final time
> Mutants colonise the outer solar system
> Humans forced to run them out and chase them across the orion arm
> Humans garrison planets and essentially leave the garrisons to form their own colonies to fend for themselves
> Garrisons evolve to have the traditions of the regiments that were garrisoned there
> Humans eventually get their shit together and unite the colonies after hundreds of years of isolation
> Wars begin between the major UN country colonies
> Only the commonwealth and allies stay out of conflict until the competitors have worn eachother out
> Conquer the UN and other factions to prevent war between humans ever again
> Mutants show back up
> cataclysmic war
> Commonwealth reorganised into an empire under a person
> Nobody has who this person was as they declared himself damnatio memoriae from his own perceived guilt and war crimes
> Now constant border skirmishes from a technologically inferior but numerically superior enemy
> Humans genome begins to evolve from DNA rectification, cloning, adaptation to colonisation ect.
> Constant cold war with no side able to take advantage
Present day the Stealth Vessel Vanguard of the imperial navy is sent to investigate the furthest colony going dark.
Leading up to the first human contact wit extra terrestrials
Quickest way to get to the furthest colony is through the mutant lines and across "no mans land" which is uncharted and full of renegade colonies
>>
>>34582444

take out all the characters and replace them with japanese schoolgirls

then get back to us
>>
>>34582502
>take out all the characters and replace them with japanese schoolgirls
Sorry but i'm not a faggot.

Its written somewhat like Heinleins starship troopers, with social commentary and the culture of the future.

the main characters are:
The female captain of the Vanguard, recently promoted after ramming her previous ship
A colonel from Imperial intelligence, who shares overall command with the mission, and has sexual tension with the captain. He commands a special recce team. He's also a member of a society called the circle of castellans, a neo mlitary order, fanatically dedicated to the principles of mankind.
The ships primary propulsion intelligence, who mostly provides a third neutral perspective.

Sub characters are:
The coxwain (pilot) of the vessel who was a former test pilot
The navigator (kind of like a co pilot but takes over for FTL) of the vessel
The vessels XO who is the gunfire director
An imperial fighter ace who's the CAG
members of the recce team
>>
>>34581790
Usually thats where "muh magical space tech" comes into play, either by alien ships that crashed here or some secret development. Conspiracy theorists love their Deus Ex Machina.
>>
>>34581824
>a single sounding rocket.

There was also the flock of geese that one time too.
>>
>>34582314
i mean..a lot of these sound pretty great desu
>>
>>34581978

America should rejoin the Common Wealth. It's the only way it will get out of it's own way. England has it's own moronic farmer class and they deal with them perfectly: silent contempt and a pat on the head of acknowledgement.
>>
>>34582314
>> Queuing is in force, with any citizen allowed to kill another for stepping in front of another

I mean realistically, space empire or not, this should be a thing. American's can't queue worth a damn.
>>
>>34582118
>im a flat earther
you could have just said, "I'm a mouth-breathing retard" and we would understand your point of view
>>
File: warphonk.jpg (51KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
warphonk.jpg
51KB, 1280x720px
>tfw you might get to be a spessman on a space station within your lifetime
I can't wait to beat someone to death with a toolbox.
Are toolboxes /k/?
>>
>>34582129
Moon base? Wtf
>>
>>34577334
Where's the engines on it?
>>
>>34580714
>Where are the mystery crews?
what is OPSEC?
>>
>>34582408
They launch as close to the equator for a reason
>>
>>34583992
>They launch as close to the equator for a reason

VANDENBURG

A

N

D

E

N

B

U

R

G

plus the brits really did have an orbital launch site at Woomera
>>
>>34582118
There is a FUCKING LIVE STREAM from the iss: INTERNATIONAL SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE STATION ON YOUTUBE.

Your absolutely idiotic notion that the earth is fucking flat is dooming us as a species. If you have a child, I pity them because they will lack any understanding of how the UNIVERSE works.

You're on K, DOES ANYBODY WANT TO EXPLAIN THE CORRIOLIS EFFECT TO THIS FUCKING ANON, I'M POSTING FROM A PHONE AND LOST MY PATIENCE AWHILE AGO.
>>
>>34584070

>hasn't heard of cgi

lol
>>
>>34584051
fuck vandenburg
>>
>>34584070
>arguing with flat earthers
>arguing with retards in general
>arguing at all
Why waste your time being unhappy at people who are willfully stupid when you could just ignore them
Not like they're gonna change their minds anyways
>>
File: strokechan.png (119KB, 600x459px) Image search: [Google]
strokechan.png
119KB, 600x459px
>>
>>34585274
no
>>
File: PjzVlZi.jpg (97KB, 576x768px) Image search: [Google]
PjzVlZi.jpg
97KB, 576x768px
>>34583379
Assistant: someone spaced the clown
Crew: nothing's was lost.
>>
>>34583938
>OPSEC 3500 people
(lol
>>
>>34587286
The Manhattan project involved over 100,000 people
And yet it was kept secret
>>
What the hell is a non-terrestrial officer?

If there are thousands of crew in space how come nobody whisteblowed yet?

Becoming an astronaut for NASA is already difficult, how did they find thousands of people of the same ilk?
>>
>>34587301
how many people knew what the true end goal was?
>>
>>34587319
The same could be said of a secret spacecraft project.

Though, I'm just playing devil's advocate.
There's no way the government, or any government, could launch things without everyone noticing.

Even the NRO's secret satellites were tracked down within hours by mere hobbyists.
>>
File: skylon.jpg (27KB, 800x342px) Image search: [Google]
skylon.jpg
27KB, 800x342px
>>34581978
The Skylon is pure sex.
>>
>>34587579
It looks cool, but how could it possibly reenter with such a narrow profile? Easy going up, but coming down would need to have it actively slowing or like flying around the Earth a few times in atmo to get down to a reasonable speed
>>
>>34587627
Unlike the space shuttle, it can fire up it's engines when re-entering the atmosphere so I guess it could be a combination of what you mentioned.
>>
>>34587658
It's obvious why the Shuttle lifting body won out overall, then.
You don't need to carry excess fuel up if you use the atmosphere to slow down.
>>
>>34587696
The whole point of the Skylon is carrying a fraction of the oxidant a conventional rocket needs, because of the air-breathing stage. So the fuel needed for re-entry might not be a serious weight gain.
>>
File: sabre_notes_1l.jpg (491KB, 3508x2275px) Image search: [Google]
sabre_notes_1l.jpg
491KB, 3508x2275px
>>34587696
>>34587749
Read up on Skylon and the Sabre engine. It scoops up most of the oxygen needed for fuel ignition from the air until it reaches the upper atmosphere.
>>
>>34587749
>>34587829
Yeah, that makes sense.
The shuttle's external fuel tank had like 600,000 kg of LOX. If you can cut that in half, well that's a lot more cargo you can carry.

It would have been cool to see it tried, but I guess the math worked in favour for lifting body designs.
Even the modern X-37 uses it.
Thread posts: 68
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.